eric trax

Pottinger TOP 762C - windrower rake

After a short break due to work on a special model, I decided to finish two machines that had been standing on the shelves for quite a long time. One of them is the Pottinger TOP 762c rake. In short: the machine has the task of collecting mowed grass from a width of about 6 meters into a narrow row so that it can be picked up by self-loading wagons or a baling press. A small thing and it makes me happy :)

pottinger_top_762c-1.jpg

This is what the original looks like. As you can see, there are subtle differences. They are mainly due to the optimization of the list of elements.

zpottingertop762c.jpg

Features:

The model has three functions. The first is steerable rear wheels. It is a very simple mechanism that turns the wheels of the rake by means of tension rods. This allows the model to follow the tractor's tracks. An interesting fact is that initially the model was not supposed to have this function. I thought the tie-rods would spoil the look of the already massive frame. In the end, it was possible to build it in such a way that the entire mechanism does not significantly affect the appearance. Ultimately, its operation is smooth and very eye-catching.

Two functions are driven by the PTO shaft directly from the tractor. To get control of the two functions, I had to build a gearbox. By shifting the gear, I can switch between lifting the rake arms and the drive of the rakes. During the tests, it turned out that the speed of the rakes is not satisfactory, so I changed the previous system from z16/z16 to z20/z12. I get a satisfactory effect, but lifting heavy arms started to cause problems. I added soft shock absorbers adjusting their geometry to assist the lifting in the first phase when the actuator is parallel to the arm. They also reduce vibrations when the arms are lowered.

How it look:

The idea for the model was born after I came up with the construction of the rake stars so that they were small, aesthetic and, above all, kept a constant angle of the rake. All the solutions I came across were loose-flying elements mounted on axles or possibly technic pins. Here the octagons are based on which each frame is mounted on a plate with clips. This gives a constant rake angle and takes up very little space because it fits almost the outline of a 6x6 dish and looks very realistic.

The construction of the frame turned out to be very problematic. According to the scale, it should have a 2x2 study of the cross-section. Of course, you can get such a size, but the model would only have to stand on a shelf. Eventually I got the 3x3 studs dimension. There are additional reinforcements above and below the frame that add a lot of stability. This was necessary because there are places where the frame is only four axle.

Building instructions:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-73662/M_longer/pottinger-top-762c/

Please check photos and a short video showing the features of the model.

Photos

pottinger_top_762c-1.jpg_thumb.jpg pottinger_top_762c-2.jpg_thumb.jpg pottinger_top_762c-3.jpg_thumb.jpg pottinger_top_762c-4.jpg_thumb.jpgpottinger_top_762c-5.jpg_thumb.jpgpottinger_top_762c-6.jpg_thumb.jpgpottinger_top_762c-7.jpg_thumb.jpgpottinger_top_762c-8.jpg_thumb.jpgpottinger_top_762c-9.jpg_thumb.jpgpottinger_top_762c-10.jpg_thumb.jpg

Video:

Somehow I would use Jeep tires on Pottinger. Now you can hardly await to put Zetros tires on your Krone big X 770. :wink: Anyway nice effort when waiting for better Zetros images.

Just now, I_Igor said:

Now you can hardly await to put Zetros tires on your Krone big X 770.

Not only for the Krone, but many other models. Lexion and tractors too :)

I've waited five years, so I'll wait another five months: D

Just now, I_Igor said:

Somehow I would use Jeep tires on Pottinger. Now you can hardly await to put Zetros tires on your Krone big X 770. :wink: Anyway nice effort when waiting for better Zetros images.

They are little too big - 56mm instead 49mm :/

3 minutes ago, eric trax said:

I've waited five years, so I'll wait another five months: D

Me too; all my projects are on standstill because I wait to see final dimensions of Zetros tires and if I can use them on fastrac 8330...one project will be short and relatively simple 1:18 Unimog U423 because axles with (a bit less than) 17 studs wide are done and only thing needed is simplifying chassis...but due to complications that I have, bed weather and (as always) several missing crucial parts I'm Waiting Waiting Waiting...

Looks great, works great. When it comes to agricultural machines, Eric always delivers :-)

Awesome! :pir-huzzah2:

Although I must admit I felt a bit queasy when I saw the word "windrower" (anyone familiar with Joseph McElroy will understand) :laugh:

Cool attachment to the tractor.

Interesting, why they really used this kind of tires on that Pottinger. Usually there are some more "flat" low pressure tires.

im surprised u were able to fit all the motors in the tractor itself. Did u you a BuWizz for power unit

Thank You guys!!!

2 hours ago, MY1 said:

im surprised u were able to fit all the motors in the tractor itself. Did u you a BuWizz for power unit

I use Sbrick and rechargeable battery 8878. Below you can see how I put PF into this chasiss :)

53482284_2140709249356285_28580302813973

Really good work on a machine I did not know existed before, thanks for showing it. I like the rear wheel steering mechanism, and the use of the shock absorbers to eliminate vibrations, that could become handy in other places as well!