evancelt

[MOC] Pig Island

duplo-pirates-snot.jpg

Chef Patoget hadn't gone to culinary school, but he had directed his share of pig roasts.

After losing his left eye to splattering hot oil in the galley of the Renegade Runner, the chef no longer had great depth perception.

As a result, he relied on cabin boys to do the menial tasks in his kitchen. If they were promising, he would call them his sous-chef - they seemed to get a kick out of the title.

They had been at sea for a month but had rowed ashore on Pig Island earlier in the day.

The sound of the small waterfall beside them created a pleasant drone that the lapping of the waves played above.

Pagonet smiled. The crew would feast on pork tonight!

--------------------------

Was playing Duplo with my 4YO today and decided to try out some SNOT base techniques I use with system bricks. The second tier is a pseudo-@Ayrlego base, though the Duplo plates are just resting on their side.

Lol, that's great! The old school pig takes me back... right back to my Duplo! Do they even still make them like that?

Also, just for the record the SNOT border technique is not really mine - Originally I shamelessly simplified it from @soccerkid6... you can see his tutorial here.  I just (over) use it a lot!!!  :pir-laugh:

Really very nice build that your 4 year old son made. He has great potential. One day he'll be better than you.:pir-grin:

7 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Duplo? Really Evan? Has it come this?

:pir_tong2::pir_tong2::pir_tong2:

Haha Duplo are the default in my household - I have three kids 6 yo and younger :pir_tong2:

6 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Lol, that's great! The old school pig takes me back... right back to my Duplo! Do they even still make them like that?

Also, just for the record the SNOT border technique is not really mine - Originally I shamelessly simplified it from @soccerkid6... you can see his tutorial here.  I just (over) use it a lot!!!  :pir-laugh:

I think the pig was mine when I was a kid - it's the kind they stopped making in 1993. My sister recently unloaded all our childhood Duplo on me because her kids have "outgrown it" (they should have started making Pirate MOCs with it apparently)

The 2021 version of the pig is pretty cartoony:

Spoiler

70679pb01.png

I like to think of the Ayrlego-style base as a simplified SNOT edge base from the school of Isaac! (BTW Thanks for your blog @soccerkid6! I've been reading it for years.) I like that the simplified Ayrlego style is two studs high on the edge thanks to the 5-plate high thickness. That's what I was pseudo-going for in the Duplo MOC

Getting back to Duplo for a second, something I've discovered is that if you do sideways Duplo apparently 8 sideways Duplo bricks is the same length as 10 studs, meaning 4 sideways Duplo plates is roughly 2 studs. Pic:

Spoiler

duplo-snot.jpg

6 hours ago, NOD said:

Really very nice build that your 4 year old son made. He has great potential. One day he'll be better than you.:pir-grin:

Haha. While I was making this MOC, he was working on this way-cooler Duplo scene with Redcoats teaming up with Knights to fight Skeletons and Pirates.

He made the redcoats have a campfire because of the MOC I was making.

duplo-pirates-4yo.jpg

6 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

More pigs!!! *huh*

I have some more sheep! And lavender Duplos... maybe it's time for a Wullham Duplo build

Edited by evancelt

1 minute ago, evancelt said:

Haha Duplo are the default in my household - I have three kids 6 yo and younger 

With you being the youngest? :pir_tong2:

Actually, what I meant to say your talent shows no bounds! So for all the MOCs you've been sharing in the Forum and Facebook Group I shall award thee the MOC Expert tag:

moc_tag.gif

6 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

With you being the youngest? :pir_tong2:

Actually, what I meant to say your talent shows no bounds! So for all the MOCs you've been sharing in the Forum and Facebook Group I shall award thee the MOC Expert tag:

moc_tag.gif

Thanks @Mister Phes!

I got a new title of "Duplo Pirate Castle" too, eh? :pir-grin:

Edited by evancelt