Nice one!

You do seem to have over engineered the front end though.

Rather than adding more pieces, you'll get more stability by putting pins in pin holes, and axles in axle holes.

On 4/11/2021 at 8:25 PM, amorti said:

I think two buggy motors is overkill. You can already get a lot of speed with one, doubling up isn't going to help anything. Especially since PF batteries can't supply nearly enough power to spin two of them.

This was before you did know me crazy dude lol....

Just found this thread and wanted to give it a little push, because we all know 2022 is the year of brickbuilt bikes...

Some pictures of the wider variety of RC Motorcycles which are (partially) available on Rebrickable:

- GreenGeckos Fast RC Motorcycle

- @amorti's Café-Racer

- @piterx's Baja Bike, Fast Street Bike & Superbike

- My unfinished Chopper-Design

Comparison-Cafe-Green-Fastest-Superbike.

Comparison-Chopper-Baja.jpg

Comparison-Fastest-vs-Green.jpg

My RC Superbike series:

Left to right:

• Honda CBR1000RR FireBlade (CaDA motors)
  • Ducati Panigale V4R (MK motors)
  • Kawasaki H2R white/green (Buwizz tuned Edition)
  • Kawasaki H2R black/chrome (MK motors)

Comparison-Superbike-Series-1.jpg

Comparison-Superbike-Series-2.jpg

Edited by aFrInaTi0n

There may be a 1:5 bike with proper counter steering, ready to join the party by then :pir-huzzah2:

On 6/5/2022 at 2:17 PM, amorti said:

There may be a 1:5 bike with proper counter steering, ready to join the party by then :pir-huzzah2:

Post your updates to your 1/5 model soon :P

Looks very cool!

Have you tested that style of steering, where the motor is indirectly moving the forks, rather than the shift-center-of-gravity strategy? Do you think the higher center of gravity will cause problems?

I'm also very impressed at how few pieces you were able to use to make a solid, lightweight frame.

I'm looking forward to seeing it working, and maybe even trying to build my own version with alternate electronics!

For reference - Issue here right now is missing support from Buwizz for the angular motor to be used as a servo. The Mk1 Version had no pushrods, but was working with rubberbands to allow the frontfork to be somehow free but allow some counter-steering approach - but I had the feeling the rubbers were too soft.. Except of that the drivedrain with the doubleshafts is working out and no melting parts yet (only ABS parts, no special ballbeared thingies)

Here is the failrun of Mk1:

Edited by aFrInaTi0n

@2GodBDGlory thanks for the kind words! The main frame is mostly two of the largest frames 15*11, with a couple 5*7's and 5*3 dogbones for strength and rigidity. The "tank" is all about rigidity. It's remarkably sturdy. I look at it sometimes and want to fit some panels, but also I like it how it is.

MK1 in @aFrInaTi0n's video used rubber bands inside the steering neck to pull the steering. It failed because rubber bands aren't strong enough so it doesn't want to steer, also because the steering mechanism could lock the fork stopping the bike self-correcting. So the powertrain and main frame were good but that steering mechanism had to go.

I got as far as fitting an angular motor for the steering, and then @janssnet who presented the counter steering bike in Afri's link has given me some great tips to get the steering rebuilt with puhrods.

Now we're just waiting for the promised update from buwizz before it can be tested!

And before I forget: hat tip to Afri for talking me out of the "in grid" swingarm, into the bent liftarm design it has now.  

Edited by amorti

On 3/11/2023 at 2:13 AM, aFrInaTi0n said:

more here

Just a suggestion: The universal joint could be problematic (Kardanfehler), you could use a CV joint instead :-)

13 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Just a suggestion: The universal joint could be problematic (Kardanfehler), you could use a CV joint instead :-)

We're using metal universal joints.

There's enough support for plastic joints and the angles are minimal, but they will rip apart with the speeds we're talking about.

CV joints aren't great for durability either and become a wear item, which really doesn't last long.

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/179234-metal-universal-joints/

I guess it could be worth synchronising the joints. Never thought about it.

Edited by amorti

2 hours ago, Jundis said:

Nice link. Didn't know about the Kardanfehler details.

But as Aaron stated: For RC metal ones are strongly recommented, as we all know that those two little 1mm nobs have to withstand all the applied forces and are prone to break easily..

The new type CV joints could work. There's space for the bigger diameter, would need to find some way to support the back end of the joint.

Will keep it in mind in case of excess vibration.

Jerney modded the BatCycle - not fully functional, as the weight distributions seems to make left turns not possible, but nice how he kept the original shape! :)

Now Lego has a 7L alternating beam in not-green, this one has become possible without cheat parts.

It's currently pending with rebrickable in two versions: bw2 and bw3, both with two buwizz motors on a Pf socket each, one with a Pf servo for steering and the other with a Pu large motor.

Edited by amorti

22 hours ago, amorti said:

Now Lego has a 7L alternating beam in not-green, this one has become possible without cheat parts.

It's currently pending with rebrickable in two versions: bw2 and bw3, both with two buwizz motors on a Pf socket each, one with a Pf servo for steering and the other with a Pu large motor.

Now live on rebrickable:

Power functions: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-143067/A_morti/twister-pf-self-balancing-rc-cafe-racer-motorcycle/#details

Powered Up: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-143083/A_morti/twister-pu-self-balancing-rc-cafe-racer-motorcycle/#details

Nice that xour Cafe Racer is finally released! It is a lot of fun to drive!

Yesterday I was testing a double one-swingarm construction.. 

It is just coincidentally that it may look like a Batpod.. 🙄

Edited by aFrInaTi0n

Little update with Mk 4.0 and Mk 4.1 of the RC BATPOD:

Huge thanks for @efferman and @Jundis for giving me a tiny and sturdy af gearless 1/2 reduction for the servo to do only 45° rotation of the Buwizz as leaning-weight at max! ♥

Unfortunately the weight rolling in instead of being shifting outwards the CoG wasn't as effectful as initially thought, but has been identified to a slightly missalignment from the chassis due to redesign, never the less a nice viewing angle with an offset to the left for the camera (so this is the reason for the left-heavy turning) for the MK 4.0:

Finally the Mk 4.1 Testdrive with already better steering / effect of shifting the CoG through some minor adjustments in the geometry of the chassis.

And a wonderful Mk 4.1 crash (:pir-huzzah2:  Buwizz):

On 4/5/2023 at 12:38 AM, aFrInaTi0n said:

Little update with Mk 4.0 and Mk 4.1 of the RC BATPOD:

Huge thanks for @efferman and @Jundis for giving me a tiny and sturdy af gearless 1/2 reduction for the servo to do only 45° rotation of the Buwizz as leaning-weight at max! ♥

Unfortunately the weight rolling in instead of being shifting outwards the CoG wasn't as effectful as initially thought, but has been identified to a slightly missalignment from the chassis due to redesign, never the less a nice viewing angle with an offset to the left for the camera (so this is the reason for the left-heavy turning) for the MK 4.0:

Finally the Mk 4.1 Testdrive with already better steering / effect of shifting the CoG through some minor adjustments in the geometry of the chassis.

And a wonderful Mk 4.1 crash (:pir-huzzah2:  Buwizz):

Hey! That is a really cool footage and we wish to see your BATPOD in more details!

@aFrInaTi0nI'm super happy with how it steers now :)

The batpod was requested enough times now: Let's sanitise the construction and do instructions for you to offer. Don't know if you have further mods in mind, but I think it already works good enough that people will enjoy it. 

People will kill me for that pin-torturing, which is needed at the front mounting of the wheel to the fork.. :pir-murder:

Maybe this will be a chance or singularity of all different interest fields and brick people to unite and hunt me down. :cannon:

Edited by aFrInaTi0n

Updates from me!

MOCs:

Another thing which just came to my mind yesterday and wasn't tested by anybody (in the brickworld) I guess:

Using a virtual pivot for a motorcycle to get rid of a physical one..

Seems like Newton is with me - just need to put it onto a prototype - hopes would be, that it may have less slack then regular coat-hanger physical mounts..

1 hour ago, aFrInaTi0n said:

Updates from me!

MOCs:

Another thing which just came to my mind yesterday and wasn't tested by anybody (in the brickworld) I guess:

Using a virtual pivot for a motorcycle to get rid of a physical one..

Seems like Newton is with me - just need to put it onto a prototype - hopes would be, that it may have less slack then regular coat-hanger physical mounts..

that looks promising, I'm curious to see the first prototype :)