Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[COR -FB] Unexpected Orders

Continued from here

The day had finally come. The Corlander force had arrived outside Oleon occupied Tarlor several days previously. So far there had been no reaction from the small Oleonese garrison other than to slam the doors of the newly constructed fort shut before the attackers. Now, the artillery was in position and the barrage was set to begin at noon. Half the force under Major Brickford would remain with the artillery facing the fort. The other half of the force with Colonel Allcock would march around the fort, secure Tarlor and complete the encirclement. Once the artillery had blasted the fort and engineers estimated the breaches to be viable, both forces would storm the fortress. Bloody work would surely be ahead. Colonel Allcock marched alongside the column heading into Tarlor. By chance this force contained a company from the 47th Foot; his original regiment, and he marched proudly alongside them. While he had fought since coming to the new world; against buccaneers and at sea against Eslandolans (something he still did not ever openly discuss!) and pirates, this would be the first time against a modern, well equipped enemy - indeed Corrington's old enemy. He was also well aware this would be the first time a Corlander Army faced and Olean Army of this size since the Juniper war some 20 years ago. Further a field he had cavalry scouts out, looking for any approach of an Oleonese relief army from King's Port. Without a relief he was confident Tarlor would fall. A commotion down the line interrupted his thoughts. An officer appeared to be hurrying down the column, he motioned for Captain McDonald, his aide and the pair turned to meet the officer. As he got closer, Allcock recognised Captain Brickleton... but that couldn't be right, Brickleton was in Pamu with Montoya...

51106581293_5d6d506db6_b.jpg

and so the Corlander army before Tarlor learnt of the Peace treaty and the attack was abandoned. The Corlanders returned to camp outside Tarlor waiting for the Oleonese to withdraw as per the terms of the treaty. The artillery however remained in position... just in case.

OOC. The Corlander attack on Tarlor has been cancelled in accordance with the terms of the peace treaty.

As soon as I saw @Bodi using the hovercraft skirt as a base I knew I had to try it! It's a brilliant idea - unfortunately the ones I picked up on Bricklink have been bashed around a bit (nice to know they were loved!) but I still love using them as a base. I managed to squeeze out a full company of the 47th Foot. Surprisingly the limiting factor was not bayonets or dark green epaulettes like I originally thought. Instead you see here every single backpack I own! Hence the Grenadiers following the company as they have the sachets instead!

1 hour ago, Ayrlego said:

As soon as I saw @Bodi using the hovercraft skirt as a base I knew I had to try it!

So that's what it is! *Heads to Bricklink*. 

A really lovely build all in all. What a collection to own.

Glad Brickleton reached Allcock in time! Also glad to see he made himself presentable with his bicorn before getting to Allcock :pir-huzzah2:

Fun use of the hovercraft piece as a base! Looks great.

That’s quite a collection of BrickArms flintlocks! Those definitely are my limiting factor (you can see some TLG muskets at the back of the "Over The Hills..." build.

I see Allcock went with the imperial admiral torso this time :pir-grin:

Does that drummer have a green torso?

Edited by evancelt

That is one impressive regiment - the file of muskets and bayonets is gorgeous, and I always love seeing the dark green and red color combinations on your troops!

I love the way the hovercraft border looks!  And a beautiful file of soldiers--that is funny that you ran out of backpacks, of all things. :pir_laugh2:

I love that you made the whole company. It really is quite a sight. Good figure posing, and your usual terrain looks good as always. :thumbup:

And my hovercraft base has been ordered! :pir-grin:

7 hours ago, evancelt said:

Does that drummer have a green torso?

Yep. I remember reading somewhere that it was common at the time for drummers to wear the reverse colours of the regiment. So if a regiment had red coats with dark green facings, then the drummer would be in a dark green coat with red facings. I suspect this is more of a historical French thing than British, but I like the idea. @Captain Genaro has also used this concept before in his Lavalette Armoury build, which is what made me think of it.

Very nice column, Ayrlego. I'm impressed with the number of soldiers you have, and although a little hard to tell it looks like you took the time to make each soldier unique (i.e. no repeated heads). 

1 hour ago, Ayrlego said:

I suspect this is more of a historical French thing than British, but I like the idea. @Captain Genaro has also used this concept before in his Lavalette Armoury build, which is what made me think of it.

You're quite right, it was common for drummers in many armies to have reversed colors (i.e. reverse the jacket and facing colors). This was common in 18th century armies, but largely disappeared during the uniform standardization of the Napoleonic era. The only example I know of an army continuing this tradition is the US Army's Fife and Drums Corp. This practice can also be seen in various other regiments, but easy to find examples are the British 57th Regiment (drummers in yellow jackets) and the French Régiment de la Sarre (drummers in blue jackets). Given the lack of uniformity in the uniforms during this time, it would not surprise me to see various regiments ignoring this custom or having their own approach. 

Looks good to see so many soldiers marching.