The Stad

[Freebuild] Embarking

Previously:

A New Post at Gammeltårn

Party Supplies

Perils Old and New

Unsought but Welcome

Out through the Market

The quay was crowded with sailors and merchants who hurried between the boats, barges, and ships at dock.  Smaller craft suited to the plying the island's rivers had nestled into the berths along the outer wall of the structure, while the seaworthy vessels were docked in the dredged-out depths of the inner harbor.  The air was filled with shouting and laughter in countless tongues, and wares in all manner of boxes and caskets were piled all about.

51105023673_90fce77752_b.jpg

The Lord of Førstlys and his second son, Kjell, accompanied by Ulrik Dunwald and trailed by a small retinue of guards, forged their way through the bustling throngs.  At the end of the quay they passed through the sturdy bastion that served as customs house, watch tower, and lighthouse, and out once more into the autumn sunlight.  Beside the pier lay a ship unlike any they had ever seen. Brilliantly white and glistening with gold, it was larger than even the great Kaliphlian dromons that had sought shelter in the harbor during the Elemental Crisis, all those years ago.  

51104790416_fc243e108d_b.jpg 

Before Kjell could find words to remark on the sight before them his father had hurried onward to the elf.  The mysterious visitor, who had promised passage across the impassible seas that guarded the southern coast of the Burial Isle, strode forward to greet the approaching men. 

51104790491_6d9f540643_b.jpg

"My friends," he said, offering an outstretched hand, "the hour is upon us.  Let us make haste, that we trade not kind winds for long farewells." 

Kjell's father took the elf's hand and spoke solemnly.  "I fear that I shall never show you the true depths of my gratitude.  Though perhaps fortune will yet favor me, and you shall grace our halls again ere the end of my rule. At that time I shall certainly try."

The elf smiled and bowed his head, then turned and swept down the gangplank.  The Lord of Førstlys turned to Kjell and placed an arm upon his shoulder.

"My son, may the gods guard your footsteps and their wisdom guide your hand.  Bring your cousin home."

"As you will father," Kjell replied.  He bowed, turned, and, followed closely by Ulrik, boarded the ship.  The crew of elves moved deftly to cast off and set sail, and soon the quay was shrinking across the widening water.  As Kjell lost sight of his father amid the teeming shadows and forms of an increasingly distant Førstlys, a wave of fear and resentment washed over him.  He hated the formality and decorum that kept him from embracing his father in the face of uncertain fate, and he hoped with all his heart that that had not been the final farewell that they would share.

Spoiler

An overall shot:

51105079588_991bafaf76_b.jpg

Excellent micro MOC!  The boats are all nice, but the trebuchet (and the ballista) are my favorite part .  I like your water effect - the 'rough' cut out edge works well.  Great use of non-right angles throughout.

Very nice, I really like the micro siege weapons! Those different styles of boats are also neatly designed!

On 4/9/2021 at 8:16 PM, jtooker said:

Excellent micro MOC!  The boats are all nice, but the trebuchet (and the ballista) are my favorite part .  I like your water effect - the 'rough' cut out edge works well.  Great use of non-right angles throughout.

Thank you!  The trebuchet was supposed to be a crane, but I admit that those two pieces of equipment look very similar.

On 4/10/2021 at 4:12 AM, Ecclesiastes said:

Very nice, I really like the micro siege weapons! Those different styles of boats are also neatly designed!

Thanks Ecc, it was a lot of fun coming up with multiple mini boats to fill the docks.

The microscale is really nice here, and gives a sense of how big these ships are.  I keep reading through the saga, and am enjoying seeing where it will lead next!  The design of the elven ship is really cool and stands out I think.  Nice job!

Making this micro (and using microfigures) was a novel concept - it turned out great! I love how "smooth" this MOC looks (given the lack of exposed studs), and there are so many lovely little details - I especially like the ballistas in the tower and elf ship.

Speaking of the elf ship, that looks magnificent! The shaping and colors are gorgeous, and it could honestly be a MOC in and of itself (as opposed to being part of a larger one)

Great work!

@Grover - I'm glad you're enjoying the story and appreciate the microscale.  I am prone to grandiosity, so I love how building at ~1/4 the standard scale allows me to show scenes that would be prohibitively large/expensive/time consuming with minifigs.

@socalbricks - Thank you!