Sign in to follow this  
Tom_Brick

Medieval Merchants' Bridge

I've previously posted my attempts at a modular medieval city. As I mentioned back then, the fully modular approach where every house could be placed next to any other house did have some drawbacks as I had to design every wall as if another house would stand right beside it. So I wanted to try something else, going into a direction where I use larger modules, clusters of houses instead of individual houses. Unfortunately, it escalated quickly and I ended up with a massive cluster (almost 33000 pieces). So this won't work for me either. But I still like the result, so I wanted to share it with you guys.

First some information. I was inspired by the "Krämerbrücke" ("Merchants' Bridge") in Erfurt. Of course I drastically downscaled it and also took some other creative licenses.The bridge was originally built with the houses on top in 1325, but was rebuilt after a massive fire in 1472. While the original bridge in Erfurt had 62 timber framed houses, mine only has six.

All of the houses have a full interiour on three stories. On the bridge, I have a wine merchant, a store with pots and pans, a tailor, a store for knifes / swords, one merchant selling vegetables and one selling meat. On the one end of the bridge I have a goldsmith and two residential buildings, on the other side I have a church building. The ascent onto the brighe goes underneath the church tower and on the other side is the sacristy. There's a pathway above the bridge connecting church and sacristy and of course there are staircases connecting everything, including the top of the belltower which can be accessed either through the church or the sacristy. Next to the sacristy is the clergy house where the priest lives with his maid.

640x853.png800x600.png800x600.png800x600.png640x853.png640x853.png800x600.png

Those street views are amazing, the feeling of depth really makes this believable. Reminds me of St. Gregory's bridge in The Witcher 3 :classic:

Thanks everyone, I figured that I could post some more detailed pictures. I'm starting with the church-side of the model. If you guys are interested, I can post some more details.

First a look from the street in front of the bell tower:

800x600.png

Then we take a swing around and have a look at the entrance to the church

800x600.png

Next up, a look into the church itself. Of course there's an organ upstairs in the back. The walls in the church had to be three bricks deep in order to accommodate the stained glass windows:

800x600.png

Then we have a look at the connection between sacristy and church. Unfortunately you can't really see the staircases going up due to the lighting. The ground floor of the sacristy has a different colour interior compared to its exterior. Behind the sacristy is a little herb garden which you can't see on this image due to the angle. What youi can see however is that I kinda messed up the cobblestone on the ramp onto the bridge...I'll need to fix that...

800x600.png

Here's a look at the top floors of both the sacristy and the priest's house. In both buildings it's mostly used for storage, the sacristy also has a little writing table:

640x853.png

Next up is a closer look at the third floor of the clergy building where the maid sleeps together with a lot of utensils and some more storage:

640x853.png

On the second floor we have the priest's room...very cozy with it's own fireplace, a desk, some books and a little storage compartment underneath the stairs where he keeps a barrel of wine:

800x600.png

Lastly we have the kitchen with a large fireplace where the maid can cook for the priest:

800x600.png

Great work! The interior details just take it to another level. My only suggestion would be to add some minifigs to bring it to life, but it looks amazing as-is!