Versteinert

[MOC] Medieval Tavern

This is my new moc of a medieval tavern with inn. It was created to be presented together with the 21325 LEGO Medieval Blacksmith. In order to stay as close as possible to the blacksmith's style, I had to borrow some of the building techniques and optical elements that were used in the blacksmith, especially in the roof area. In general the Medieval Tavern moc nevertheless is a completely independent construction.

On the ground floor there is the tavern and a kitchen with an open cooking area. In the kitchen, mostly vegetarian food is prepared, since meat was a luxury item in the Middle Ages - contrary to what is often shown. I couldn't help putting some meat on the table, since these clichés simply must not be missing in a medieval tavern. In return, I kept the lighting as close as possible to reality and didn't use candles, but tried to build oil lamps.
There are two guest bedrooms on the first floor. I also tried to keep them simple and, in my opinion, even deviated from reality upwards. In fact, for the mostly not affluent guests, there were only straw beds rather than real beds.
A straw bed can be found in the attic, in addition to some stuff, which could be stored there, and a clothesline plus laundry basket. The matching wash tub is down behind the building. In the back corner of the attic a giant spider has moved in. There it guards a small treasure, which is located behind the chimney.

Of course I have again created some building instructions for the moc, which you can find here: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-72838/

More pictures can be found following the link to rebrickable or on flickr: This way

51096639344_b50f6ebb20_c.jpgMedieval Tavern by Versteinert, auf Flickr

51097103308_8ca73e31e2_c.jpgMedieval Tavern by Versteinert, auf Flickr

51096563621_d2c94386d9_c.jpgMedieval Tavern by Versteinert, auf Flickr

Phenomenal! I love the timber framing and the window construction, not to mention the interior furnishings! The sheepskin rug is especially clever and charming. You did a great job taking inspiration from a lot of the design language and building techniques from the Medieval Blacksmith set while still innovating enough on them to ensure this model feels original rather than derivative.

I do wonder, would garderobe-style toilets typically be used in a smaller building like this? I always figured they were more of a thing in larger castles, and a home or business like this would opt instead for a chamberpot which could be emptied a little further from the building. Having the garderobe empty out directly against the house (especially with a window right below) feels a little gross even by medieval standards! But then, there's also a certain level of humor to it that perhaps adds to the model's charm.

Even the exterior decor like the chopping block and the washtub really help to set the scene and help it feel "lived in". The attic details like the clothesline and laundry baskets likewise are a great testament to the more mundane aspects of everyday medieval life. I'd be wary about leaving that oil lamp burning that close to the straw bed, though, no matter HOW cold and dark the attic might get at night! I'd hate for it to tip over and set fire to that nice roof!

Great work on this model overall, and I hope you continue to expand on your medieval town going forward!

This is amazing, I like the colour of the roof more compared to the blue of the Blacksmith. Also, you did a way better job on the angles of the roof. The Blacksmith has a lot of gaps, which bothers me a lot.

Thank you all a lot, I'm glad you like it :)

@AanchirThanks a lot. I think you're absolutely right. The toilet would be better located outside behind the tavern. Actually, as I designed the wooden extension on the first floor, I didn't know what it would be used for. Then, later, I had the idea to implement a toilet, and I thought it would be funny to build it into the extension especially because it would empty not just directly under any window, but even under the kitchen window ;)

And regarding the burning oil lamp in the attic, this is for sure absolutely careless. But without the flame nobody would have recognized that this shall be a lamp ;)

Great job.  I really like the colors you used for the roof.  The wooden framing and stone work look great.  The well is nice and I agree that the privy should be outside.  I like the white interior of the second floor.  

Awesome creation, Versteinert.
A couple interesting design choices. You didn't take the easy way out for the windows. Those beds are masterpieces. You crammed alot in the building without it feeling crammed.
I think the only drawback (for the maid that is) would be the steep climb with laundry baskets to the attic and back. I'd have choosen a more diagonally placed ladder.

Heh, and that toilet! Hilarious! I can't decide whether or not to make it the most expensive room. Sure, it is a welcome amenity, but it could also kinda get smelly in the room, depending on the quality of what the kitchen's brings to the diner. :laugh:

Excellent work, with lots of fantastic details - the sign out front, the curved wall on the inside, the windows! The inspiration from the blacksmith and then taking that and taking it a step further has given such a lovely result. Well done!

On 4/9/2021 at 12:27 PM, GeoBrick said:

Awesome creation, Versteinert.
A couple interesting design choices. You didn't take the easy way out for the windows. Those beds are masterpieces. You crammed alot in the building without it feeling crammed.
I think the only drawback (for the maid that is) would be the steep climb with laundry baskets to the attic and back. I'd have choosen a more diagonally placed ladder.

Heh, and that toilet! Hilarious! I can't decide whether or not to make it the most expensive room. Sure, it is a welcome amenity, but it could also kinda get smelly in the room, depending on the quality of what the kitchen's brings to the diner. :laugh:

Ok, seems like I haven't thought enough while designing the tavern. Actually I first wanted to place the cothesline behind the building. That was when I built in the ladder. Later I changed the location for the clothesline but forgot about the uncomfortable way upstairs :D

But, what should I say, the middle ages were rough ;)

@frumpy @Padlix Thank you both :)

HEY! you are on eurobricks? cool! I know you from LEGO IDEAS anyway GREAT BUILD!!! you should put this up on LEGO IDEAS

The Blacksmith house and Tavern fit together really well.

img_4141.jpg