Sign in to follow this  
CallMeCarbiz

Ideas for Raised Baseplate?

I was in a thrift shop the other day and scored this baseplate for $5. Now that I have it, I'm not sure what to build on it. 

raiseed-base-plate.png

Have you guys seen any cool examples of medieval builds using this type of baseplate?

There is a lot you can do with this.  You could have buildings on both sides of the road in the middle like a town or city street.  There are many different castle builds you could do including towers, a gatehouse, a large castle.  You could also use this as a building block to a larger layout.  You could even use this for a forestman hideout or lair.  There are so many possibilities with this.  I actually hope to get one someday.  Good find.  

A raised baseplate for 5$? Man you are quite lucky, those things are usually pretty expensive online.  

There a lot of things you can do with raised baseplates, you just need to be a little creative. For example, you could build an interesting Castle, in which you build some towers on the raised bits, and make a large gate in between. You can take some inspiration from how they used them in the actual sets that came with them:

8781-1.jpg?2003121611316091-1.jpg?199911090437

I've got one of those as well after I took apart the set it came with.  It's just been sitting around but I really want to get into MOCing and I think I may use it to practice rock building techniques, and if that goes well I'll incorporate it into a larger build.  I'd like to keep the path intact or at least use it as a basis for a new path so I'll have to make sure my rocks don't infringe on that area too much.

Thanks guys for your input and ideas. I think that I too will want to keep the path as it is. I think I’ll try adding a tower and some tall trees for its future inhabitants to hide in. 

I’ve placed all of its future inhabitants on it until I have some time to get started  

In my LEGO factions all the green guys are in the same team. 
CC8-D6-EC3-1-BC1-46-BF-A532-FC8-C6-F6-B1

19 hours ago, CallMeCarbiz said:

Thanks guys for your input and ideas. I think that I too will want to keep the path as it is. I think I’ll try adding a tower and some tall trees for its future inhabitants to hide in. 

I’ve placed all of its future inhabitants on it until I have some time to get started  

In my LEGO factions all the green guys are in the same team. 
CC8-D6-EC3-1-BC1-46-BF-A532-FC8-C6-F6-B1

Thats a super funny coincidence! I just created a Forestmen project on LEGO Ideas and during the design process I was partially inspired by the layout of this particular baseplate! Just as you wrote, you could build something really similar! Here is a picture for reference:

webp

You could have a tower or small castle on one side of the baseplate and then connect it to some trees on the other side using a bridge. Ideally one of the old bridge pieces that often came with the Forestmen sets! Good luck!

On 4/7/2021 at 3:29 AM, CallMeCarbiz said:

I was in a thrift shop the other day and scored this baseplate for $5. Now that I have it, I'm not sure what to build on it.

Have you guys seen any cool examples of medieval builds using this type of baseplate?

Raised baseplates deserve more love. I am still crazy about 6086 Black Knight's Castle, build on the one that got the derogatory CRAPP nickname. Yes, raised baseplates present a challenge, but isn't that wat building Lego is also about? 

I like to take hints from the past to invent my own stuff. As pointed out before, this particular baseplate was used in 6091 King Leo's Castle (2000) and 10176 Royal King's Castle (2006), both from KKI. A close variant appeared in 87871 Castle of Morcia (2004) from KKII. 

To think more out of the (castle) box: 4990 Rock Raiders HQ (1999) was build on a similar baseplate. And then there's 5986 Amazon Ancient Ruins (1999) with a river instead of a pathway and four booby traps, 7419 Dragon Fortress (2003) set in the east (there's a comprehensive Eurobricks review right here) and 4748 Mission Deep Freeze (2004), a skull shaped mining base. You could try to 'castlize' one of those (and in the course improve upon them because I only really seemed to like the Dragon Fortress :laugh:)

The Castle's and Rock Raiders base did not use the baseplate very well.
The best set on that type of raised baseplate is the Dragon Fortress of the Orient Expedition theme.