SleeplessNight

[MOC] Sabre Island Anno Domini 2021

Ahoy!

The Barracuda has set sail and Redbeard is threatening the shipping routes once again! So the Bluecoats had to up their game to protect Imperial trade. For the start they have hastily restored the tower on the Sabre Island.

What do You think about their effort?

51073845902_678035d3b1_h.jpg

51006530265_c420838c5d_h.jpg

51010599565_8f5c0c8d00_b.jpg

51075712671_d778f1d045_h.jpg

51075712536_1307306e1e_h.jpg

I designed this MOC as a tribute to my second Pirates set, that I think I got in 1990 and loved like hell. But I also wanted it to closely match the style of the new Barracuda. I also didn't want to use too many fancy and exotic elemens but efficiently use the stuff that most of us already have in our inventories. It's not too big with 1443 elements (excluding minifigs). The build is rather sturdy (maybe except for the furniture) but it still empoys some techniques and tricks that you might find interesting.

I have published the instructions on Rebrickable: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-71657/SleeplessNight/sabre-island-anno-domini-2021

There are also a few more pictures on flickr: 

Stay safe and fair winds!

Great build! I saw it on Facebook and loved it there too. So many great details and textures

@Mister Phes - I think this build would do better in the Pirate MOCs subforum. You?

Amazing! :pir-love:

I will be blogging it eventually.

A very beautiful and elaborately built tower.

Amazing build! :pir-love:

The slope in 2 sides of the lower part of the structure is a great idea and implementation!

I'm trying to understand the technique. 
Can you show us some photos of the inside towards the slope side? How did you do it to have slope on the outside and straight wall on the inside?

Beautiful! If I ever get caught, I want to be transferred to this prison cell, please! :wink:

Edited by Rotbart

Truly wonderful. Congratulations! the colours, the decorations, the sloped walls, the interior details, everything comes together very nicely and balanced. Bravo!

I really love this one! I feel it has a great level of detail and charm without going completely overboard on size, actually making it more like a typical LEGO set. This would be a great Imperial addition to Barracuda Bay.

Thanks Everyone for your comments! I'm very happy that You like it!

First of all, sorry for posting in the wrong place, I only found out when it was too late!

17 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Amazing! :pir-love:

I will be blogging it eventually.

Wow, that would be awesome!

5 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Amazing build! :pir-love:

The slope in 2 sides of the lower part of the structure is a great idea and implementation!

I'm trying to understand the technique. 
Can you show us some photos of the inside towards the slope side? How did you do it to have slope on the outside and straight wall on the inside?

This is how it looks inside. It's a WIP image, a few things were changed since then. Anyway, while the sloped walls take some space, I made this space accessible through the arcades.

51101471778_8aef8a0f32_b.jpg

The technique behind it is pretty simple:

51101017029_48d9d86405_h.jpg

It holds really well. By adding bricks and plates here and there, you can achieve basically any angle you like. Just remember that the height on both sides must be equal. The whole difficulty is to find the right dimensions to make it fit (almost) seamlessly into the vertical wall above and below. A similar trick was used in a few places in the new Barracuda, notably for the angled ladders on the sides of the hull. I could align it almost perfectly with the dark grey slopes on the corners, but I think it looks more interesting the way it is now.

3 hours ago, Rotbart said:

Beautiful! If I ever get caught, I want to be transferred to this prison cell, please! :wink:

Sorry, it's not the best of ideas, we're keeping there gunpowder, and won't allow in any desperate prisoners. We have enough trouble with drunken guards!

This is beautiful! I love the parts that make it look a bit run-down: the crumbling brick segments and also at the top the different ways to build the bannister. Very nice!

On 4/7/2021 at 7:27 AM, SleeplessNight said:

What do You think about their effort?

I think they have done a fantastic job! :pir-thumb:

Their photography is also superb - they've captured the fort right a magnificent angle to take advantage of the sunrise!

27 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

I think they have done a fantastic job! :pir-thumb:

Their photography is also superb - they've captured the fort right a magnificent angle to take advantage of the sunrise!

Not so easy to take a photo in poor light, from a wobbly boat, with a 18th century equipment :pir_laugh2:

7 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

That's great! Thank You!

4 minutes ago, SleeplessNight said:

Not so easy to take a photo in poor light, from a wobbly boat, with a 18th century equipment 

It's quite good photo editing, I must say! :pir-huzzah2:

How was the background and water actually achieved?

Argh! That looks great! Way to good!

I am just thinking about buying an old Sabre Island set from Bricklink, and modifying it a little bit (from a 5x5 to a 8x8 tower so I can give it some interior). And than this comes along! I was already in doubt between buying or fully mocking it. This does NOT help!:pir-grin:

Anyway, this is a fantastic build!

Edited by jan kusters
typo's

21 hours ago, jan kusters said:

Argh! That looks great! Way to good!

I am just thinking about buying an old Sabre Island set from Bricklink, and modifying it a little bit (from a 5x5 to a 8x8 tower so I can give it some interior). And than this comes along! I was already in doubt between buying or fully mocking it. This does NOT help!:pir-grin:

Anyway, this is a fantastic build!

Thanks! And sorry for making trouble :pir-laugh: 

On 4/9/2021 at 11:36 AM, Mister Phes said:

It's quite good photo editing, I must say! :pir-huzzah2:

How was the background and water actually achieved?

Very simple - it's a rendering from Bricklink Studio (a.k.a. Stud.io) with transparent background (png), so you can just add your background in any graphic program (Photoshop, Gimp, Corel, ...) - no skills required. This bakground is my photo, which was far bigger that the final image, so I could move it around and place it fittingly and crop everything that didn't exactly match (like the beach that was in the foreground).

1 minute ago, SleeplessNight said:

Very simple - it's a rendering from Bricklink Studio (a.k.a. Stud.io) with transparent background (png), so you can just add your background in any graphic program (Photoshop, Gimp, Corel, ...) - no skills required.

I disagree, you require skills in the Photo Editing software of which which many people lack. :pir-wink:

Then you also need an eye for perspective and lighting to ensure to ensure the rendering blends seamlessly with the background and doesn't appear to be "floating" over it.

Nice tower, I love that it is quite "massive" not as skinny as the most towers around here and especially those in the official sets. The size also bring a spot to the nice window and door decorations. This would fit quite well with the big fortress which has a form of a pentagon (which is also on ideas). Did not find the link in this moment...

Update:

Usually, this small outpost on Sabre Island would not stand a chance against the mighty Barracuda. But, as we know, Redbeard and his drinking buddies forgot to take cannons on board, and so now they have just found themselves in dire straits!

51126231156_9a6c8b6367_k.jpg

51125486663_c6863c21f8_k.jpg

51126143173_a32ba8c72c_k.jpg

51126152983_23c79d4ed3_k.jpg

51125014347_e8d3b4a11e_k.jpg

This build differs slightly from the design for various reasons, my kids being one of them. 

On 4/11/2021 at 4:52 PM, Mister Phes said:

...need an eye for perspective and lighting...

Well, ok, I have some... background.

Unfortunately I don't have proper photo backdrop, so with the pictures above I had to improvise :pir-sceptic:

Edited by SleeplessNight

13 minutes ago, SleeplessNight said:

Unfortunately I don't have proper photo backdrop, so with the pictures above I had to improvise :pir-sceptic:

The background looks great! Nice work.

I like the officer ducking out of view of the pirates on the stairs :pir-grin:

1 hour ago, SleeplessNight said:

Update:

Usually, this small outpost on Sabre Island would not stand a chance against the mighty Barracuda. But, as we know, Redbeard and his drinking buddies forgot to take cannons on board, and so now they have just found themselves in dire straits!

51126231156_9a6c8b6367_k.jpg

51125486663_c6863c21f8_k.jpg

51126143173_a32ba8c72c_k.jpg

51126152983_23c79d4ed3_k.jpg

51125014347_e8d3b4a11e_k.jpg

This build differs slightly from the design for various reasons, my kids being one of them. 

Well, ok, I have some... background.

Holy crap! :pir-oh:

This is getting better!

Sabre Island 2021 and Barracuda 2020 together!

That is so dope! :pir-love:

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

Great rework of the original for sure. 

I certainly have good memories of my family's 2x sabre island, used those 16x16 baseplates a lot alongside a 16x32 blue plate from a Castle set to form more sea/islands for the river that comes with the Islanders Enchanted Island.

Also were my only Soldiers/bluecoat sets so extra nostalgic.