The Lego Room

To people who own Lego cities: don't make the same mistake as I did...

Just now, caiman0637 said:

I made that mistake too... oops.

There are more of us!

Oh well, it's a problem that can be solved. But still, it's very annoying.

Honestly I think this issue would be completely resolved if you start switching over to the MILS method for building street corners. Although, I assume this would be a logistical nightmare because of how far you are into the process. However, this would mediate any issues of flexing or bending as well as being easier to adjust or snap partitions of the city onto a standard grid. 

I feel like its worth more to shell out money into the new Lego road plates instead of the old panels which are now discontinued. 

Read more about it here:

http://www.abellon.net/MILS/

Edited by BrickFleet

9 minutes ago, BrickFleet said:

Honestly I think this issue would be completely resolved if you start switching over to the MILS method for building street corners. Although, I assume this would be a logistical nightmare because of how far you are into the process. However, this would mediate any issues of flexing or bending as well as being easier to adjust or snap partitions of the city onto a standard grid. 

I feel like its worth more to shell out money into the new Lego road plates instead of the old panels which are now discontinued. 

Read more about it here:

http://www.abellon.net/MILS/

Although that is an effective solution, I have no plans to do that. I don't particularly want to do what Bevins Bricks did and spend months and months transferring everything onto MILS plates!

3 hours ago, The Lego Room said:

Although that is an effective solution, I have no plans to do that. I don't particularly want to do what Bevins Bricks did and spend months and months transferring everything onto MILS plates!

No I completely understand, I just started my city and I am already seething at the idea that I need to create a baseplate for Assembly Square. I just started my city and its the first set in the modular line I've purchased. 

Our group brings a bag of wooden shims to our public display events.  I also carry a level.  The event organizers usually supply those types of folding tables.

If you're building a permanent layout at home, making your own layout benchwork like model railroaders could be better way to go as you can customize the size to your base plates.

I feel your pain on this one.  I had 2 different units for my original ‘street’ and ended up using lego manuals, flattened boxes and all sorts to get it level,  

Now I use the Ikea Linnmon table tops, with Adils legs.  These work out at between £16 and £25 depending on the length you go for.  These have adjustable feet on the end of the legs which is a massive help with this issue.  They’re also quite light and easy to move.  Once in their permanent place, you can also use cheap straight mending plates to strap them together on the underside.

Aren't those tables just not wide enough? The ones i have are 4 studs too narrow for 3 roadplates next to each other. Ended up glueing a 3 or so cm border on the tables. 

Voorbeeld.jpg

Edited by Lethke
Typo's. So many typo's.

On 4/7/2021 at 9:41 AM, Lethke said:

Aren't those tables just not wide enough? The ones i have are 4 studs too narrow for 3 roadplates next to each other. Ended up glueing a 3 or so cm border on the tables. 

Voorbeeld.jpg

The width isn't a problem, it's the variable height. An absolute pain to correct!

Have you tried adding sheets of cardboard between the tabletop and the baseplates?   Lego boxes would probably give you decent control over the height with how thin they are.

Putting them below the table legs seems wobbly.

Edited by CopperTablet

On 4/7/2021 at 9:41 AM, Lethke said:

They are a little shy of being a perfect fit, yes, I’ve got two 60cm wide ones, side by side, and have left a gap at the edge, but you can get different sized tops, some of which are 75cm wide, which will almost fit 3 base plates exactly.

Apart from bits of old cardboard looking naff under the feet of the tables, have you considered replacing the plastic tube ends in the table legs with version.  They are quite low cost and you've already spend money on nice tables, could be a better solution.  Appreciate it's too late now to solve the warped baseplate issue.

https://www.vital-parts.co.uk/for-tubes-set---set032-13651-p.asp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIztvN16327wIVZWHmCh0eHwxqEAQYASABEgJSJPD_BwE

I too bought the folding tables.  Another problem is that they sag in the middle.  That really bothers me as well.