When I was little my older brother got 8860 as a gift and I was so jealous! Over the years it was boxed up, put away and somehow lost.

Fast forward 40 years, I got him a nice used 8860 for christmas and once again I'm jealous! Prices for used Lego seem to be creeping back to normality so its time to scratch my supercar itch. Which supercar will give me a nice build with lots of features, studded for that retro experience?

I'm tempted to get another 8860 for nostalgia value but are other models better?

I also grew up with them and had a few. Nice for nostalgia and I also may be wanted to collect them again when coming out of my dark age.
But I found them not appealing enough so I started to build and collect 1:8 RoscoPC historic F1 models, a great mix between studded Technic, classic bricks and new Technic in my opinion.
Currently I have 14 build (12 visible below), could also be an option for you if you like F1?

38928332205_b693201e75_k.jpg

Other than that I build an 854 Go-Kart out of nostalgia but also designed and build a redux.
May be the 854 is nice small model to start with :)
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-63623/BrickPolis/854-go-kart-tribute/

Edited by Berthil

8865 has probably the best suspension and steering geometry of all official supercars and I also like the rugged looks. 8880 of course beats all others in terms of functions and complexity, and the body is awesome too.

Oh, when I was i child I burned lego catalogues with my eyes. 8880 had unreachible level of awesomeness and it was almost impossible to get it in Belarus in 1990s! 

BTW what does dark ages mean?

@Aleh A "Dark Age" is a time where you didn't do LEGO stuff.

For most it beginns in their teens when LEGO is no longer cool, and ends somwhere between 30-50 when you get back into the hobby. 

I admire 8880, but I never found it as much *fun* as 8865. I loved tweaking the positions of the cogs/axles in the 8865 engine till it ran really smoothly - whereas if you built 8880 correctly it worked; if it didn't worked you'd built it wrong. None of the 'tuning' needed for 8865. And 8865 was much more fun to push fast round the floor! Coming back after my Dark Ages, I really appreciated 8848 (which I bought second hand). 

I would not completely count out 8448 (Super Street Sensation).  Introduction, at least on a large scale and for Technic, of flex axles so one can still really see the insides.  Not to mention the first supercar that really focused on looks while keeping a brick versus liftarm chassis and maintaining nearly (not completely) the complexity of 8880.  Also, engine is cooler, wheels/tires are cooler, and even stock set comes with configurations for different bodies and configurations....

I still have the set in my Lego Room.  I love it.  

Although I love the 8860, which was the pinnacle of it's era, IMO 8865, 8880 and 8448 are slightly better cars for different reasons:

8865 Test Car: 3-speed (unsynchronized) transmission, foldable headlights, V4 fake engine and finally independent (double whisbone) suspension on all wheels for the first time, very good steering geometry with Ackermann.

8880 Supercar: the alpha and omega for supercars, 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steering, 4 wheel independent (double whisbone) suspension, 4 speed synchronized gearbox, foldable headlights, V8 fake engine, steering with Ackermann. Function-wise it is at least on the same level as UCS supercars of nowdays. But I have to admit that it is not without flaws: it has high level of friction due to the very complex drive train.

8448 Super Street Sensation: 5 speed synchronized gearbox with reverse, V8 fake engine which you can mounted either to front or to the rear of the car, modular design, studded chassis but stylized body created by hoses, axles and panels, gull wing doors or convertible top with dumping system, independent suspension on all wheels with very good geometry. Stickers are the weak point in this set.

If you really want one, I would go for 8880.

Supercar.jpg

Edited by Interceptor

My favorite 8448 (although I have also 8860 and 8880)

...but 8448 is still assembled

8880. I have it and will rebuild it, I have it in a modified B-model format at the moment.

@Berthil RoscoPC's models are great. They do cost quite a lot to get parts for. 2 built, well 2nd almost finished and a 3rd to build someday.

I had 8865 and got a new one recently.

My brain is still "studded" and have difficulties to imagine things in actual system.

Thanks for all the replies, I wish I'd added a poll now! It looks like 8880 gets a lot of love for its features and I like the look of the beams for bodywork so I'm going to go for it. 8448 is a close second, lots of features and I like the different builds but a bit too studless.

@Berthil Those F1 cars look fantastic on display. I'm more a builder than a collector but I am slowly bricklinking Jeracs Countach which I will display once built.