Hey, the shaking could also be due to a lack of weight on the front. This could cause losing ground contakt when passing imperfection (tire gets lifted and just wobbles around for a while) or the well known shimmy effect (had this on my own bike) which just means that the bike hits a resonance which can be amplified or boosted by hitting small obstacles on the ground. Both might be fixed with more weight on the front. It's just a guess but might be worth a try :)

That's possible, thanks! Next I'm going to try to motorize my Ducati set, which could be a huge challenge!

Also, this discussion is beginning to have little to do with the original post. Perhaps a new "general RC motorcycle discussion"topic should be created?

3 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

That's possible, thanks! Next I'm going to try to motorize my Ducati set, which could be a huge challenge!

Also, this discussion is beginning to have little to do with the original post. Perhaps a new "general RC motorcycle discussion"topic should be created?

We should indeed!  Ive done a lot of testing i can share many tricks with you guys and maybe some engineer can explain us why stuff works the way it does :)

I just made a topic for that, so general discussion of RC bikes can be continued over there.

what an genius idea ive never seen that before. in fact it inspired me to try to ride a bike with no hands. 

5 hours ago, MY1 said:

what an genius idea ive never seen that before. in fact it inspired me to try to ride a bike with no hands. 

i take no responsabilities on that :laugh: !
thank you dude!

Tyres have arrived!

I made the forks 1L wider, because otherwise the tyres touch the springs.

This one picks itself up really quick from off the floor, it only gets around a quarter turn on the floor, and away it goes.

800x577.jpg

That CaDA motor is honestly a beast. It'll launch itself into the furniture / cat at pretty high speed, which is when the forks fly apart.

So I added a fair bit of strength in the fork triples (click for big)

800x450.jpg

It's still not as rigid as the Fast Bike, but that's because the steering neck is just that 5L liftarm, and liftarms flex. 

Edited by amorti

7 hours ago, amorti said:

Tyres have arrived!

I made the forks 1L wider, because otherwise the tyres touch the springs.

This one picks itself up really quick from off the floor, it only gets around a quarter turn on the floor, and away it goes.

that's nice to hear dude! i'm glad you're enjoying it
I'm trying to redesign it in such a way it will have rear suspension too, i truly wanna make it go offroad, for now i'm not having too much success but it will work at some point :)

I can't see an elegant way to do it with Lego.

If you had CaDA pieces you could build yourself a 5*5 frame for the bevel box, then with a CaDA metal universal joint straight out the motor into that.

it would be 5L 'flip flop' liftarms towards the motor, regular 5L liftarms at the back, and those pin-liftarms at the top and bottom. These things, but as a 3L Liftarm plus 2L of pins. They exist, I just can't find a picture.

10Pcs-lot-High-Tech-Beam-Special-1x5-Thi

It would then be two 3*3 'T' Liftarms on either side for the swingarm pivot, attached into the pin holes on the motors.

Would work perfectly, within the same dimensions you have now. I think.

But with only Lego pieces? Idk... Not easy, at least not without losing ground clearance, and certainly not with elegance like you could do it with CaDA pieces. 

Edited by amorti

On 4/25/2021 at 2:46 PM, piterx said:

that's nice to hear dude! i'm glad you're enjoying it
I'm trying to redesign it in such a way it will have rear suspension too, i truly wanna make it go offroad, for now i'm not having too much success but it will work at some point :)

I was thinking it would be fun to build a true off-road bike too. If I try it, I'll think I will go with the "stuff-the-tires-with-marbles" strategy described in the RC Motorcycle thread. This should allow better stability at lower speeds.

Finally (!) had chance to play with this outside today.

I made the fork legs 7L apart, because at 6L apart the front tyre can catch the springs. Unfortunately, that meant the 8L with stop front spindle reduced ground clearance unacceptably.

The unbraced bevel box on the rear spindle might be ok for a Lego L motor, but it's not strong enough for a CaDA L motor. Adding the bracing on the outside as I've done also reduces ground clearance unacceptably.

Both the above problems would be solved by changing the wheels. With a futuristic wheel in the back, the bevel box could be rotated inside the rear frame. With a futuristic wheel, 81.6 or 94mm front wheel, the fork could be 5L wide.

It's nice to have wheels as a pair, but probably better to use a taller front wheel to add ground clearance. Could make it into a chopper that way. CaDA has a 3 spoke 94mm wheel that would look ok-ish paired with a rear futuristic wheel.

61Jzzqj9ylL._AC_SS450_.jpg