Sign in to follow this  
VaneStream

[MOC] Havana 1717

I present to you Havana 1717:

51091530182_f29665853f_c.jpg

51091520919_7bc6914a84_c.jpg

51091984608_fa5820e2bb_c.jpg

I took inspiration from the Havana of the PC Game Assasins Creed Black Flag, set in the Golden Age of Piracy. For the blue building in the centre I disassembled my 10252 VW Beetle and used many of the parts to achieve the rounding of the building.

I plan on using these buildings as part of a much larger port town layout for future episodes of my stop-motion animation series Being Pirates, So look out for more.

Let me know what you think!

Check out a current episode of Being Pirates if you like:

Edited by VaneStream

This is brilliant, the AC inspiration is immediately noticeable! I'll have to check out your stop motion videos later too :pir-classic:

Great job. 

Amazing scenery, pictures sure do justice to the builds. Also, didn't comment on the other topic but that series is amazing (love the cheesy jokes), will Havana (with this scenery) feature in the series too? It would be nice to see different towns and alike.

2 hours ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

That looks lovely! I'm a big fan of the colour combinations

Thanks! When I set out to build a port town in the carribean I thought I would need mainly grey and white, which I always seem to have too little of. When I then researched inspiration I found alot of colour is quite fitting, and I actually love using a lot of colour.

1 hour ago, Seaber said:

This is brilliant, the AC inspiration is immediately noticeable! I'll have to check out your stop motion videos later too :pir-classic:

Great job. 

Thanks!

48 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Amazing scenery, pictures sure do justice to the builds. Also, didn't comment on the other topic but that series is amazing (love the cheesy jokes), will Havana (with this scenery) feature in the series too? It would be nice to see different towns and alike.

Thank you Jack. I'm not planning on actually having the historical Havana in the series but rather a large fictional port town set in the mediterranean, including a fort. It'll be a couple episodes before they arrive there though, and I'm still in the beginning stages of building the whole diorama.

Very nice diorama. I like the different styles of the colored houses. The corner house with the rounded walls is a highlight. The ground looks like earth. That looks good and real, is it a plate of cork? The minifigures make the district lively.

Looks great! Really enjoy the variety of techniques across the buildings. Looking forward to seeing this in the show

What a lovely diorama! The buildings are brilliant on their own, but the addition of the palms and figures really sell it as a Caribbean colonial town. Nice work!

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you like it.

On 4/3/2021 at 4:14 PM, NOD said:

Very nice diorama. I like the different styles of the colored houses. The corner house with the rounded walls is a highlight. The ground looks like earth. That looks good and real, is it a plate of cork? The minifigures make the district lively.

The "ground" is polystyrene, painted with some layers of very watered down acrylic paints, so that the paint concentrates in the gaps and cracks of the polystyrene, giving it a bit of a rocky cobblestone look.

20 hours ago, jan kusters said:

fantastic builds and pictures!

Jan, I recently found your incredible pirate pictures on Flickr, so it made me smile to see you comment on my moc here. Thanks!

Wonderful work.. I love what you did with the lighting. 

Really brings me back to AC4 BF. Very nice job and excited to see what's next!

The YT movie is also great. Funny animation.

I love this! Great detail, both architecturally and with minifgs, the scene, etc. It inspires me to get my bricks out!

22 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Wonderful work.. I love what you did with the lighting. 

Really brings me back to AC4 BF. Very nice job and excited to see what's next!

The YT movie is also great. Funny animation.

Thanks Fraunces. That game really did suck me in :-)

22 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

I love this! Great detail, both architecturally and with minifgs, the scene, etc. It inspires me to get my bricks out!

Thanks! Would love to see what you're building!

On 4/4/2021 at 9:52 PM, Professor Thaum said:

This is really cool.

Nice piratey city diorama :thumbup:

Thanks! It's getting bigger :-)

I've completed another building, a baroque palacio:

51099085067_7141b96cb2_c.jpg

And because I'm in an art mood:

51099528838_66fb519236_c.jpg

Very lovely and colourful, especially the picture with the carriage and the building in the background. Nice photography. The round blue building with the little tent on the side is very, very cute. So many little details that work together and tell a story. Great composition overall, crowned by the video.

Are you going to include Havana in the next stop-motion episode? 

On 4/7/2021 at 3:37 PM, Elusys Ra Arwal said:

Very lovely and colourful, especially the picture with the carriage and the building in the background. Nice photography. The round blue building with the little tent on the side is very, very cute. So many little details that work together and tell a story. Great composition overall, crowned by the video.

Are you going to include Havana in the next stop-motion episode? 

Thank you!

I intend to use these buildings which are inspired by Havana in a larger port layout, which I will include in future episodes. It'll be a while until that is completed, however, and it won't be part of the stop-motion series until a couple episodes down the line. 

I have been to havanna and your rendition fits perfect, I always wondered if the city was so colourful in 1717 like it is today (even when its a bit corroded nowaday due to the salty air from the sea). I am building a harbour imaginated by Cartagena de Indias right now, this would fit in perfectly. Unfortunately my collonial building isnas good as these...

On 4/16/2021 at 8:06 PM, Stoertebricker said:

I have been to havanna and your rendition fits perfect, I always wondered if the city was so colourful in 1717 like it is today (even when its a bit corroded nowaday due to the salty air from the sea). I am building a harbour imaginated by Cartagena de Indias right now, this would fit in perfectly. Unfortunately my collonial building isnas good as these...

Thank you Stoertebricker! I've actually never been to Havana, but I'm glad my rendition fits. I'd love to go some day. Yes, It would be great to know if it was as colorful back then as it is today. I just googled Cartagena and wow, it's beautiful! I'm looking forward to seeing your rendition!