Sign in to follow this  
CMF-1138

MOC: GWR 4900 Class 5972 Olton Hall (4-Wide)

19 minutes ago, Chromeknight said:

For funsies, what’s it look like in Dark green? 

I haven't verified parts availability, but I think the key parts can all be had in Dark Green if you wanted a non-Hogwarts Castle GWR livery.

800x450.jpeg

Here it is in regular Green, as well, although I don't think LEGO has done the 6231 1x1x1 corner panel in that color.

800x450.jpeg

I keep seeing the Corgi classics steam engine models when I look at your builds. Just amazing work.

On 4/12/2021 at 2:51 AM, CMF-1138 said:

Here it is in regular Green, as well, although I don't think LEGO has done the 6231 1x1x1 corner panel in that color.

800x450.jpeg

You could us one of these,

60212.jpg

11 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

I keep seeing the Corgi classics steam engine models when I look at your builds. Just amazing work.

You could us one of these,

Thanks! For the mudguard, I assume you mean for the rear set of drivers? It would be a tough fit as designed because they are offset by 1/2 stud (unlike the other two sets). I've learned not to say that it can't be done, but it would require some redesign. I actually looked into moving all of the drivers forward by 1/2 stud at some point, but kept getting stuck with gaps in the running board and other similar issues. I may try tackling that puzzle again at some point in the future (along with trying to get rid of the "box" over the rear drivers, eliminating the second framed window on the cab, and extending the firebox by 1/2 stud). But I think I've built myself into a corner for the moment due to the 3-wide to 4-wide transitions and inverted sections of the build.

As it turns out, when prepping my parts order, I discovered that the dark red 6231 1x1x1 corner panel was only used in a couple of sets from 2004/2005. It is readily available on BrickLink, but I'm concerned about the color variation with dark red from that far back. So I have made a few design adjustments to use a 1x2 panel piece instead, which is a current part and I believe is also available in green.

8 hours ago, CMF-1138 said:

As it turns out, when prepping my parts order, I discovered that the dark red 6231 1x1x1 corner panel was only used in a couple of sets from 2004/2005. It is readily available on BrickLink, but I'm concerned about the color variation with dark red from that far back. So I have made a few design adjustments to use a 1x2 panel piece instead, which is a current part and I believe is also available in green.

I have some dark red parts going back as far as 2002 - as far as I can tell, any slight color difference is not enough to be noticeable unless you're looking for it. But then I use old light gray and light bluish gray interchangeably, so maybe I'm not the guy to advise on color variations!

That dark green version looks amazing!

Personally I don't find that the variation in dark red is any worse than any other colour, and certainly not enough to jump out at me. Perhaps, if you're worried about it, order more of these 1x1x1 corner panels than you need and then pick the best ones for use.

It's reasonable to expect that there will be some variations, especially when ordering off Bricklink where you are getting parts from multiple sources. Besides, slight colour variation is an easy way to replicate slight weathering of the paintwork. :wink:

4 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

That dark green version looks amazing!

Thanks -- I agree that the dark green looks sharp. There would be some disappointed Potterheads in my house if I don't build this in Hogwarts Express livery though!

On the color variation, my recollection is that LEGO made a minor change to the dark red color circa-2010. Not as drastic as the shift from old gray to bluish gray or brown to reddish brown, and they kept the same internal color code (although they did change the name to "new dark red"), but I have several dark red parts in my collection that stand out as far more "red" than the others. Some variation is to be expected, of course, and as @Hod Carrier notes, it can be used effectively for weathering or to add depth/texture. My concern is that it will just look "off" on a build of this scale, depending on the number, size, and placement of the parts at issue (hence my earlier concern with the large curved slopes for the boiler). Really, the only way to know is to see the pieces in person. In any event, substitution in this instance is partly for convenience, since I am placing an order with LEGO Bricks & Pieces and they don't carry the 1x1x1 panel.