JopieK

Trains in 4-Wide

22 hours ago, GoHabsGo said:

This is my first attempt of a 4-wide train. It is an tribute to the 7745 set I was dreaming about when being a kid.

Nice! And better than the 4 wide train Lego is currently selling

On 4/24/2022 at 7:58 PM, XG BC said:

continuing with my series on the mariazellerbahn here is the 5090 diesel train which was used on a branchline of the mariazellerbahn, the "krumpe" and is used on the lower portion of the mariazellerbahn.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Waldviertel_schmalspur_02.jpg#/media/Datei:Waldviertel_schmalspur_02.jpg

Now you're just missing the Mh.6 ;)

Edited by Bensch55

Hi all, it's time to make a small update!

My personal "H0 department" (1 person) is making some research in order to have a working standard to make Lego trains run on H0 rails. Therefore, some objectives have been set:

• Try to move an H0 Lego locomotive in some way
  • Standardize the wagons chassis more and more and more - trying to make them running smoothly and making the base adaptable to many wagon types.
  • Avoid to destroy and adapt Lego parts or at least, keep the number as low as possible, eventually trying some 3d Printing and using "as is" common DIY parts that can be found everywhere.
  • No more batteries, and full DC control directly from the rails

What has been done so far - for the first bullet point - is to dismantle, revise and analyze a lot of real H0 old locomotives (Marklin, Lima, Piko...) and understanding how in the past these companies have found solutions to deal with big components and motors in a such limited space. They had big motors and poor plastic, but quite thin bodies. I have a big, solid body (which avoids to have a separate chassis), but small space inside it.

the most effective and cost-friendly solution is still the Athearn and Piko rubber band drive. so let's start with this one.

I bought two spare part wheels from Piko (the same used in 57013 and 57014 locomotives, which I bought some years ago), featuring two big wheels and a central plastic drum. Outer axles have a diameter od 2mm, perfect for my ball bearings (2mm inner diameter, 5mm outer diameter, 2mm wide) that can be found easily on most auction/selling sites. 

My first (motorized) Lego prototype on H0 track

These ball bearings properly fit inside a  Lego  1x1 round plate. Therefore, with the help pf two PF/PUP wheel holders, (modified cutting plates on one side to fit the rubber band), I could arrange a first idea of chassis:

My first (motorized) Lego prototype on H0 track

Again, our old friend Circuit Cubes motor is again the main actor in this setup.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138174786@N04/52542611329/in/datetaken-public/

And this is the result:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138174786@N04/52542613719/in/datetaken-public/

It works...but has a lot of problems, such as suboptimal traction, poor weight, and only one powered axle. CC battery is obviously external, at the moment.

And that's all for the locomotive, at the moment.

Let's see the wagons, now. The ball bearings chassis has been evolved and made really thin and smoooooooooth running, but the fake suspensions made using brackets is not very satisfying. One solution could be designing and 3D printing a 16mm fake suspension, based on brackets parts. The other one could be to create a full axle holder as we had for 9v/PF trains...but in H0.

H0 Wheel Holder - 3D Custom Part

Using Tinkercad, and starting from a very good design found on Thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2771793/comments) I cut down the suspensions and adapted them to a 2x4 plate. Then, I imported the results into Parts Designer. This wheel holder works as normal H0 wheel holders, relying on the  outer "pointy" plastic and metal axles, not using ball bearings. 

H0 Wheel Holder - 3D Custom Part

Once prepared a s Custom part, I could redesign (again) the wagons chassis, and create a render to see how it could look on a MOC:

H0 Wagon - trial with new H0 Wheel Holder

I'd like to put a round Lego stud under the leaf suspension, to make it more...compliant to the Lego "look and feel".

This is the situation right now! I hope you like it!

Ciao,

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk
videos did not work properly

Hey everyone.

It's been a while since anyone has posted something here, but the topic inspired me to try my hand at a 4 wide train.
The Dutch ICNG, also known as the Coradia stream from Alstom, has recently entered service, and I'm absolutely in love with it. Both the looks and the ride comfort. That's why I decided to give it a try.

LEGO NS ICNG

LEGO NS ICNG

LEGO NS ICNG

LEGO NS ICNG

Tell me what you think!

GPM

Mooi! Great work recreating the new Coradia trainset. It's immediately recognizable and full of details, especially the nose. I like your pantograph setup.

These are not true 4wide, using narrow gauge track to represent standard gauge in 1:64 scale (modern rolling stock would be 5-6 wide), but they are 4 studs wide due to being old and small:

53161831255_869a61b593_b.jpg

53160816132_6a9a8bcc6c_b.jpg

The Rainhill trials contestants, from left to right: Cycloped, Novelty, Sans Pareil, and Rocket. The gears on Novelty and Sans Pareil are acting as stand-ins for third-party #4 wheels.

53161613179_f7383df7e3_b.jpg

53161403346_9fba3c3ebd_b.jpg

Stephenson's Rocket and its evolution as an engineering testbed; from its Rainhill trials condition, to getting a more utilitarian paintjob and lowered cylinders, and finally having the steam pipes moved inside the boiler

53161834590_8b9c227245_b.jpg

Liverpool & Manchester Railway Northumbrian with a 2nd class consist

53161835340_3399fa672c_b.jpg

L&MR Planet with a 1st class consist. This one can actually be motorised with a Studly Trains micromotor and is capable of pulling 2-3 coaches with some tuning (ballasting all open cavities, using higher friction o-rings for traction, lubricating the coaches). The tender is designed to fit a Deltang or similar receiver, and a small battery.

53160836227_5a2d061f26_b.jpg

53161916023_c91d43d9a3_b.jpg

And on the American side we have DeWitt Clinton of the Mohawk & Hudson Railroad with Goold cars. The cars have passengers both inside and outside (the inside passengers are actually load-bearing) but it isn't very visible in the renders.

I also have a motorised John Bull in the works, with its weird 4-2-0 layout that looks like a 2-4-0 being authentically represented (only the rear axle is powered) but the tender needs a bit more work first.

I've built Planet, Rocket and the L&MR coaches, and the rest should also be physically buildable without severely illegal connections (although some are fiddly to assemble) or third-party parts (except for the motor and associated electronics in Planet, which are optional, and the #4 wheels of Novelty and Sans Pareil). I've also generally avoided excessively rare or expensive parts, and where they have been used (such as the medium blue 4081b in the light blue car) an acceptable substitute of a different colour can usually be found.

Edited by witchy

34 minutes ago, witchy said:

These are not true 4wide, using narrow gauge track to represent standard gauge in 1:64 scale (modern rolling stock would be 5-6 wide), but they are 4 studs wide due to being old and small:

53160816132_6a9a8bcc6c_b.jpg

The Rainhill trials contestants, from left to right: Cycloped, Novelty, Sans Pareil, and Rocket. The gears on Novelty and Sans Pareil are acting as stand-ins for third-party #4 wheels.

53161613179_f7383df7e3_b.jpg

53161403346_9fba3c3ebd_b.jpg

Stephenson's Rocket and its evolution as an engineering testbed; from its Rainhill trials condition, to getting a more utilitarian paintjob and lowered cylinders, and finally having the steam pipes moved inside the boiler

53161834590_8b9c227245_b.jpg

Liverpool & Manchester Railway Northumbrian with a 2nd class consist

53161835340_3399fa672c_b.jpg

L&MR Planet with a 1st class consist. This one can actually be motorised with a Studly Trains micromotor and is capable of pulling 2-3 coaches with some tuning (ballasting all open cavities, using higher friction o-rings for traction, lubricating the coaches). The tender is designed to fit a Deltang or similar receiver, and a small battery.

53160836227_5a2d061f26_b.jpg

53161916023_c91d43d9a3_b.jpg

And on the American side we have DeWitt Clinton of the Mohawk & Hudson Railroad with Goold cars. The cars have passengers both inside and outside (the inside passengers are actually load-bearing) but it isn't very visible in the renders.

I also have a motorised John Bull in the works, with its weird 4-2-0 layout that looks like a 2-4-0 being authentically represented (only the rear axle is powered) but the tender needs a bit more work first.

I've built Planet, Rocket and the L&MR coaches, and the rest should also be physically buildable without severely illegal connections (although some are fiddly to assemble) or third-party parts (except for the motor and associated electronics in Planet, which are optional, and the #4 wheels of Novelty and Sans Pareil). I've also generally avoided excessively rare or expensive parts, and where they have been used (such as the medium blue 4081b in the light blue car) an acceptable substitute of a different colour can usually be found.

Wow!
Those are absolutely stunning. The little details and especially the little people make it look so good!

1:64 (or, to be precise, I usually scale to 1:62.5 where 1 plate is 20cm/8" and 1 stud is 50cm/20") is a very convenient scale for making people because you have 2 bricks' height for the legs and body, and 2 plates (or more with tall headgear) for the head. The width of such people is roughly 0.5m which is reasonably close to a train seat, so depending on how thick you make the walls of a 6wide coach you can easily get a realistic number of passengers side by side (on the other hand, trying to get 4 minifigs side by side would require the train to be at least 13 studs wide).

53160947622_e33955062a_b.jpg

This isn't a train, but it's another example of what you can do with the scale; a 1830ish Royal Mail stagecoach, with the guard having a bugle and a shotgun. I haven't figured out how exactly to do the horse harness yet (I need to study how actual coach harnesses worked in the period, and the build would probably end up relying on flex hose a lot).

The Houses of the World sets are, incidentally, at a scale that matches these trains and people well enough to be compatible on a layout.

53162357760_63fd98bed3_b.jpg

I managed to figure out something reasonably satisfactory for the Camden & Amboy Railroad John Bull and its tender. The front truck is functional and the tender should have a reasonable amount of space for battery and radio equipment.

Edited by witchy

21 hours ago, witchy said:

Your work is amazing!

I trust some of it will (has?) shown up here:

2 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Your work is amazing!

I trust some of it will (has?) shown up here:

Just waiting for a few Bricklink orders to finish so I can photograph the physical builds in proper configuration. I'm also planning on making instructions for each model available to the public as soon as I'm done tinkering with each and have checked that they work physically.

53164161874_9690aacb30_b.jpg

53164446023_8f79d41104_c.jpg

Also, a Norris 4-2-0 (aesthetically based off B&O Lafayette but not to precise scale: e.g. the drivers are too large when counting the flange, which I usually do in this scale, beause the front truck won't work properly if I use smaller wheels; the boiler is also a bit too short based on a quick search, but I didn't want to add another stud to the length due to proportions and structural considerations).

This is also motorisable and the tender has been designed with electronics space in mind. I'm expecting it to have the best running characteristics of the locomotives I've made so far, as Planet and John Bull suffer from short wheelbases which reduces the weight available for adhesion and makes ballasting more challenging. I'm slightly concerned about the sturdiness of the driver mounting in this one though (nowhere near as sturdy as Planet, which is rock solid) as my earlier experiments with 0-4-0s showed that the motor loves to tear driver mounts apart. In the worst case I can add an ugly but functional set of external frames like in John Bull, but that would severely detract from the aesthetic.

Edited by witchy