JopieK

Trains in 4-Wide

2 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

I like them ... and I like them a lot! :pir-love:

I made once a locomotive for Ikea track, but It was years and years ago! I think it's a fun thing to do - small  toys give a lot of satisfaction! 

I am looking at Brio catalogues right now...lovely!!! :wub:

thanks. Ikeas track is compatible with brios even the connectors are. in fact the ikea track is even better because you can remove the connection studs to make a track piece with either two male or two female connections. cant do that with brio ones (or newer ikea ones either!) 

16 hours ago, XG BC said:

thanks. Ikeas track is compatible with brios even the connectors are. in fact the ikea track is even better because you can remove the connection studs to make a track piece with either two male or two female connections. cant do that with brio ones (or newer ikea ones either!) 

I have not seen the newer track - since lockdown I did not have the chance to go to an Ikea store - I appreciated a lot that "reversible" feature when I bought the older sets in 2009 for my daughter - we had a pretty big layout back then! :wub:

Once again you inspired me!

Yesterday I looked at some old catalogues (of the wooden trains from BRIO) and I found nice set, the 33511 (photo taken from https://bensch.be/brio/products/33511):

IMG_3207.jpeg?itok=CGmko-cE

Here's the result:

Wooden Train Set - Brio 33511

An here's the undercarriage of the locomotive (wagons are pretty the same).

I think some neodimium magnets can fit under the buffer round tiles. Unfortunately I do not have any IKEA/BRIO wooden track handy or magnets to try.

I hope you like it - it's very nice to create little toys like this one! :sweet:

Ciao!

Davide

4 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

I have not seen the newer track - since lockdown I did not have the chance to go to an Ikea store - I appreciated a lot that "reversible" feature when I bought the older sets in 2009 for my daughter - we had a pretty big layout back then! :wub:

Once again you inspired me!

Yesterday I looked at some old catalogues (of the wooden trains from BRIO) and I found nice set, the 33511 (photo taken from https://bensch.be/brio/products/33511):

IMG_3207.jpeg?itok=CGmko-cE

Here's the result:

An here's the undercarriage of the locomotive (wagons are pretty the same).

I think some neodimium magnets can fit under the buffer round tiles. Unfortunately I do not have any IKEA/BRIO wooden track handy or magnets to try.

I hope you like it - it's very nice to create little toys like this one! :sweet:

Ciao!

Davide

looks awesome! the fluidity of the locos boilder is just amazing. i only know the newer track from images online aswell.

Edited by XG BC

I designed the following five trains for my son to be able to play with on his wooden train track like Thomas, Brio, etc.  I can't remember exactly where (may have been on this forum) but I found that you can turn the small train wheels around and they work good on the wooden track. I tried to design the set as five trains that can be built from one set of pieces.  It did save pieces that where repeated between the trains and my son really likes to take apart his lego and rebuild them.  I have put instructions for the five trains on my Rebrickable page as well as instructions for each individual train.

5%20in%201%20Train%20Set.png

The engine for following train is mostly from set 30575. The cargo train includes a coal tender, boxcar, flatbed, and caboose.

30575%20Train.png

The engine for the following train was inspired by set 31054. The logging train includes a coal tender, 2 logging cars, and caboose.

31054-1%20Train.png

The engine for the following train was inspired by an alternate build of set 31054.  The tanker train includes 2 tanker cars and a separate trolley.

31054-2%20Train.png

This engines front for the following train inspired by the previous engine but I modified it to fit the style of this passenger train. The passenger train includes a baggage car, 2 passenger cars, and observation car.

Passenger%20Train.png

And the last one was inspired by the crocodile locomotive.  The train includes 2 coal cars.

Crocodile%20Train.png

Instructions for all these trains are on the following Rebrickable pages.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-90193/bgarms/train-for-wooden-track-5-in-1/#details

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-88447/bgarms/30575-cargo-train-for-wooden-track/#details

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-88449/bgarms/logging-train-for-wooden-track/#details

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-88451/bgarms/tanker-train-and-trolley-for-wooden-track/#details

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-88452/bgarms/passenger-train-for-wooden-track/#details

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-88453/bgarms/crocodile-locomotive-train-for-wooden-track/#details

On 1/13/2022 at 5:47 PM, garmsey said:

I designed the following five trains for my son to be able to play with on his wooden train track like Thomas, Brio, etc.  I can't remember exactly where (may have been on this forum) but I found that you can turn the small train wheels around and they work good on the wooden track. I tried to design the set as five trains that can be built from one set of pieces.  It did save pieces that where repeated between the trains and my son really likes to take apart his lego and rebuild them.  I have put instructions for the five trains on my Rebrickable page as well as instructions for each individual train.

5%20in%201%20Train%20Set.png

The engine for following train is mostly from set 30575. The cargo train includes a coal tender, boxcar, flatbed, and caboose.

30575%20Train.png

The engine for the following train was inspired by set 31054. The logging train includes a coal tender, 2 logging cars, and caboose.

31054-1%20Train.png

The engine for the following train was inspired by an alternate build of set 31054.  The tanker train includes 2 tanker cars and a separate trolley.

31054-2%20Train.png

This engines front for the following train inspired by the previous engine but I modified it to fit the style of this passenger train. The passenger train includes a baggage car, 2 passenger cars, and observation car.

Passenger%20Train.png

And the last one was inspired by the crocodile locomotive.  The train includes 2 coal cars.

Crocodile%20Train.png

Instructions for all these trains are on the following Rebrickable pages.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-90193/bgarms/train-for-wooden-track-5-in-1/#details

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-88447/bgarms/30575-cargo-train-for-wooden-track/#details

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-88449/bgarms/logging-train-for-wooden-track/#details

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-88451/bgarms/tanker-train-and-trolley-for-wooden-track/#details

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-88452/bgarms/passenger-train-for-wooden-track/#details

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-88453/bgarms/crocodile-locomotive-train-for-wooden-track/#details

looks nice!

Here is a video of my small train running: I had ti change the rear coupling to make it swivel so it likes curves better because of the overhang that my design creates because in order to fit a full minifig and not make the loco stupidly tall you have to have the drivers compartment behind the rear axle rather than above it.

Edit:

here is the loco in detail:

mining loco brio_v2

i also made an electric version removing the exhaust and adding a pantograph:

mining loco brio_v2 electric version

hope you like the model and the mods i have made to it.

Edited by XG BC

On 1/13/2022 at 5:47 PM, garmsey said:

These are reaaaaally really nice!  :pir-love: I did not try to invert the wheels! Good point!!! :thumbup:

On 1/15/2022 at 2:49 PM, XG BC said:

Here is a video of my small train running: I had ti change the rear coupling to make it swivel so it likes curves better because of the overhang that my design creates because in order to fit a full minifig and not make the loco stupidly tall you have to have the drivers compartment behind the rear axle rather than above it.

Edit:

here is the loco in detail:

i also made an electric version removing the exhaust and adding a pantograph:

hope you like the model and the mods i have made to it.

Nice video! I love how it runs smoothly - it really seems a mining locomotive! :thumbup:

43 minutes ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Nice video! I love how it runs smoothly - it really seems a mining locomotive! :thumbup:

thank you! yes i have to agree it really is very smooth running not only that but it also includes a spring loaded clutch mechanism that prevents the gears/motor from getting damaged incase it stalls. great job brio engineers!

Edited by XG BC

Here is something different but kinda the same: BBA east german mining locos! these kinda had a dark background though. they where used in mines where uranium was mined for the soviet union and by extension for the soviet nuclear weapons. some where also used elsewhere.

first up is the oldest design of the bunch: the metallist mining loco.

bba metallist

rear view:

bba metallist_2

next up is the b 360 which a further developement of the metallist.

bba b360

rear view:

bba b360_2

then there is the b660 which is just two front portions of a b360 with the drivers compartment hacked off and enlarged + suspended between two front parts

bba b660

what do you do when you need more power? well you just add more front parts with the el71 which was two bba 660's or two bba el61's (similar to the 660 but based on the older metallist design):

bba el71

and what do you do when this is not enough? well more power is always the answer so just couple two more to it with the el 79 forming this monstrosity:

bba el79

and there was also one with a pantograph the el30:

EL30

rear view:

EL30_2

there was also one which used the bb660's drivers cab suspended it between two el30's with the drivers cab cut off at the top and replaced with pieces of sheet metal. the EL30T (T stood for tandem.)

EL30T

Hope you guys like them even with their kinda dark history.

Edited by XG BC

I whipped up a US locomotive for kicks.Rotating bogies and compatible with the 40518 set.

800x600.png

800x450.png

800x450.png

800x450.png

And added a new paint scheme to my TRAXX design

800x600.png

Edited by Pendra37

10 hours ago, Pendra37 said:

I whipped up a US locomotive for kicks.Rotating bogies and compatible with the 40518 set.

800x600.png

800x450.png

800x450.png

800x450.png

And added a new paint scheme to my TRAXX design

800x600.png

nice!

12 hours ago, Pendra37 said:

800x450.png

Great Conrail GE.

22 hours ago, XG BC said:

Here is something different but kinda the same: BBA east german mining locos! these kinda had a dark background though. they where used in mines where uranium was mined for the soviet union and by extension the soviet nuclear weapons. some where also used elsewhere.

first up is the oldest design of the bunch: the metallist mining loco.

bba metallist

Cute set of mining locomotives. I like how you expanded the set to show all the varieties. The uranium mining angle is dark, but part of the Cold War arms race. Such is life.

now onto some more locos. these where used in a much less sinister enviroment namely in quarrys and to transport turf and clay. Some where used during the dark times after the second world war in cities to remove all the rubble from destroyed buildings. many of them are still in good conditions repaired and cared for by enthusiasts.

mining dumpcar

first is a typical dumpcar used on these narrow gauge railways. there are three variants: from left to right the first one is for the typical 4 wide lego track, the second one is for the brio wooden track using my rubber tire method and the final one is using the inverted wheels trick to run on the brio track. thanks for showing me this trick @Pendra37! all of the following locos can be modded in these ways (including the ones i showed yesterday)

next up is a typical gmeinder 15/18 HP loco with its fairly rectangular construction:

gmeinder

next is a typical schöma one with its inwards angled hoods. some where without covered frames, some with ones:

schöma

and finally a dima loco with its angled parts at the top of the hoods. some where without covered frames, some with ones:

dima

Aaaaaah these narrow 600mm gauge locomotives are beautiful! you should draw a diorama with these!!!

We're again aligned, I love these little rail vehicles!!! :pir-love:

@XG BC those last two sets of locos are just full of charm - simple but fantastic! I wonder if you could build a small enough van wagon they could "pull", but big enough to conceal some circuit cubes bits...

Thanks guys, here is another blue loco. This time a British Rail Class 37 with some cargo.

800x600.png

800x450.png

All the locos together

800x600.png

For mining trains, you could hide stuff in those big, blocky miner transport carts. Alternatively, hide the stuff in a gondola which looks filled with coal. 
191106143118KDNZ.jpg

9 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Aaaaaah these narrow 600mm gauge locomotives are beautiful! you should draw a diorama with these!!!

We're again aligned, I love these little rail vehicles!!! :pir-love:

can you read my mind? this is EXACTLY what i did yesterday. making some small dioramas with these

8 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

@XG BC those last two sets of locos are just full of charm - simple but fantastic! I wonder if you could build a small enough van wagon they could "pull", but big enough to conceal some circuit cubes bits...

probably only issue i see is the gearing side of things but thats coming from a guy that put a motor and gearing into a 4-wide monorail with only two studs of space inside before so...

7 hours ago, Pendra37 said:

ining trains, you could hide stuff in those big, blocky miner transport carts. Alternatively, hide the stuff in a gondola which looks filled with coal. 

191106143118KDNZ.jpg

yes that could be possible as stated above. your models are very nice aswell. sadly i dont have a cirquit cube so someone else has to test this hypothesis edit: could maybe even fit a motor into the hood of the gmeiner with panels.

Edited by XG BC

@XG BC I think it's pure coincidence :sweet: - for the moment I do not have particular paranormal powers (I believe)!!! *oh2*

@Pendra37 Very very nice Class 37 and wagons!!! :thumbup: I particularly like the cement transport one, which I was trying to recreate too but it's not ready yet. I made also some containers, but are smaller than the one you made - always based on old train catalogues. Their dimension is calculated in order to fit on a small wagon (only one container), on a bigger 2 axle wagon (2 containers) or on flat wagons with bogies (3 containers).

The Mk3 chassis I made some weeks ago proved to be good, but it is too expensive. Plus, the tow-ball based couplers were not working fine on curves and switches. These new ones are better, cheaper and allow a closer connection.

I tried to figure out the main dimensions that could be reproduced (more or less like real H0 models):

Lego H0 1:87 wagon with H0 metal wheels - Some different lenghts and styles

So here's the three versions of the 2-axles chassis:

• 16cm - the longest one - good for closed wagon or open wagons (e.g with two containers)
  • 14,5cm - medium long - closed wagons (mainly refrigerated ones) or low gondola-type (also with stakes)
  • 13,5cm - medium - the classic size, good for any kind of wagon (goods, refrigerated, cement, hoppers, tanks, low and high gondolas)

then I'm working on shorter wheelbase, around 11 cm and 9 cm (mainly tanks and small gondolas) - not so frequent - but it can be done.

The V80 in FS style is only a fantasy work - the green/yellow stripes scheme was used on switchers - so I wanted to try it in a so-called yard full of wagons! :iamded_lol:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Towballs work OK on Brio regular turns as long as there are no 1x1 round tiles as bumpers and the distance between the wheels are limited to about 10. If you use longer wheelbase and/or have bumpers on, you will need use rotating bogies. 
Just add turn tables and problem solved. I saw you used proper H0 kinematics. That is a pretty cool integration. Actually, if you have some H0 loco chassis you can use as donors, you can try to remove the fuselage and build the Class 37 or the TRAXX structure around the motor. With a bit of fiddling, I'm pretty sure you could fit. Alternatively, enclose the loco internals into a 4 axles, closed freight or passenger wagon. With that, you can push any kind of Lego loco around without problem. 

Getting exact measures for some build is pretty simple.

Let's take this one:
https://bdzcargo.bdz.bg/en/wagon-fleet/wagon-flat-4-axled-res-type.html
Length:18660mm > 18660mm / 87 (H0 scale) / 8 mm/stud = 26.8 studs
Width: 2740mm > 2740mm / 87 (H0 scale) / 8 mm/stud = 3.93 studs
Height: ~1450mm > 1450mm / 87 (H0 scale) / 3.2 mm/plate = 5.2 plates high

For long things like this, I usually round down and maybe remove an extra stud because overly long stuff has issues with turns. Also try to keep it even studs. I will make this one 24 long.

Width is 4 studs, no question about that.

Height will depend on the wheel and the undercarriage. If rotating bogies and a solid base can fit into 5 plates then it will be 5, otherwise 6 high.

Then I would take a side shot picture and scale it so that it is 2400 pixels wide and probably 600 pixels high (it will not be proportional) So every 100 pixels is one brick or one plate. Then create the general outline from simple elements using this scaled side shot. Then work out the details making sure that the general outline stays as is. Finally optimize the thing, remove all the 1x1 plates, try to select the cheapest parts and colors and decrease the unique elements as much as possible.

H0 scaling is funny when it comes to Lego. 
The base Lego scale is about 1:27.5 for width and length compared to real stuff and they also like to keep the scales to 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x etc. Speed Champions and the like are in this scale. This scales with the minifig kinda OK but the guys are a bit on the fat side. Height, on the other hand is about 1:55 (2x 27.5). The thing is, if you scale your tall things, like buildings 1:27.5 then the minifigs inside will feel like dwarfs. Hence City, Train or Modular are using about this scale because that is correct for the height. You will only be able to fit 1 perso in the place where 2 persones would normally fit but hey, the build looks OK and the guys are just extremely fat.
The Saturn 5 rocket uses the the scale of 1:110 (4x 27.5) and comes with those small micro figs.
H0 is 1:87, which is about 1:82.5 (3x 27.5) hence doesn't really fit into any theme except Creator. 

However, there is a microfig which doesn't belong into any theme either. The 1 brick armless Marvel hero figures. The funny thing is, they are 1/3 width and 1/2 height of the minifig which makes those almost correct size for H0. Height is 19.2mm*87=167cm and 8mm*87=70 cm. A very fat and can't sit but otherwise not bad.

Edited by Pendra37

On 12/31/2021 at 5:28 PM, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

Updates on my mini MR 20 Class. Even made a stand with mini narrow gauge tracks (2-studs wide) to make sure the mini model is also in scale haha. 

Mini LEGO MR 20 Class (4-studs wide)Mini LEGO MR 20 Class (4-studs wide)Mini LEGO MR 20 Class (4-studs wide)Mini LEGO MR 20 Class (4-studs wide)

A little instructional video: 

This loco reminds me to the Nohab. Actually, would you mind if I made a MOC that drew heavy inspiration from your MOC?  This is what I have in mind
20171019101.jpg

20 hours ago, Pendra37 said:

This loco reminds me to the Nohab. Actually, would you mind if I made a MOC that drew heavy inspiration from your MOC?  This is what I have in mind
20171019101.jpg

Hey! Sure no problem, go ahead. Am looking forward to seeing your Nohab Locomotive MOC. I'm such a big fan of any bulldog nose locomotives. :grin:

I went through Rebrickable to summarize all the 4 wide train stuff I could find there. Here we go, click on the image to visit the page
Steam

Emma

300x200.jpg

1000x800.jpg?1633984649.9951642

300x200.jpg

300x200.jpg

300x200.jpg

300x200.jpg

300x200p.jpg

300x200p.jpg

300x200p.jpg

300x200p.jpg