JopieK

Trains in 4-Wide

On 12/21/2021 at 10:54 AM, XG BC said:

oh yes now i know like a zx spectrum themed one! why didnt i think of sinclair i thought of every computer manufacturer of the 80s but sinclare i forgot!

You need to make a nice rainbow car too for the Apple 2

19 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

And now I can really tell that your Katy inspired me to try a 4-wide version, which I used to test an idea of H0 bogies (pardon my poor coloring skills):

Katy 4-wide with H0 Metal Wheels

Katy 4-wide with H0 Metal Wheels

Here she is, high on her wheels - the bogies are not so visible, therefore to show them I'll use the exploded view:

WOW! That's beautiful, you've done an amazing job of miniaturizing Katy.

1 hour ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Oooooh, nice!!! :pir-love: The shifter is a part I do not have around ... great solution! :thumbup:

0.01 EUR in volume on BL - so get your order in :) Part No is 6553 (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6553&name=Technic, Axle 2L with Reverser Handle Axle Connector&category=[Technic, Axle]#T=S&O={"ss":"US","rpp":"500","iconly":0})

Edited by Phil B

So I've been eyeing up this thread for a while and it's got me thinking, how good would it be to have a powered 4 wide (Using 50254 wheels). Obviously some custom parts are going to be needed.  So I spent today just roughly figuring that out.

First off, I just made this rough template for size. I figure a N20 Motor should fit within the volume.

HlJrML0.png

Sure enough it could in theory. For the least amount of gearing it would only be one set of driven wheels.

5Pbn8mN.png

Again just a rough idea. I just really like the idea of running a miniture lego railway. Might continue exploring this in the future.

Anyone know of anyone else tackling this at all?

Good Idea!!! Basically an empty 6x2 brick should work as a case! The N20 is a good choice since it's small and with the little gears will achieve a good amount of torque too.

The only thing I can say is that the lego wheels are reeeeeeeaaaaally shiny and smooth, so not so good for traction (tried it with my Fiat 500 Draisina - but somehow solved wrapping around them some thermo-retractive rubber band).

There's also a solution featuring two N10 motors mounted in this way - very interesting.

ros_s(1).JPG

Here's the link! 

https://forum.mrhmag.com/post/sma33-working-single-axle-ho-traction-motors-success-at-cajon-pass-12214047

It is for H0 wheels, but it can be adapted , I think. Being 12.6mm long and 8mm wide, they can teorically fit inside a 2-wide chassis. Being direct-drive, probably they won't be so powerful...but  it could be a start. :sweet:

Ciao!

Davide

Wow never seen an N10 motor before those are tiny! They might even prove better than a N20 (for size at least). I did wonder about the smoothness of the wheels. I hoped that with enough weight of the model the traciton would be enough. Like you said rubber band may be required, or another custom wheel.

A small update!

During these days, I was lucky to receive in a very fast way the needed  parts to improve the chassis design - it is odd , but these are not Lego parts at all!!! :sweet:

So, let's start with a bit of analysis:

The H0 axles are 2mm thick, so the same size as the 9v axles. Therefore what applies to Lego modified 9v wheels, can easily apply also to H0 Wheels. I ordered some ball bearings named MR52K (Inner Diameter = 2 mm, Outside Diameter = 5 mm, Thickness = 2 mm) which seemed adequate to the purpose.

These ball bearings are smaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalll, but do not fit inside a normal Technic hole. With a bit of work, the Technic hole can be a enlarged  to fit the Ball Bearing inside (I did it with a pair of scissors).

H0 Chassis Mk3 - now with ball bearings!

Once the ball bearings are in place, something is needed to keep the axle centered. I used a sall piece of rigid Lego hose I had around, and I cut some spacers:

H0 Chassis Mk3 - now with ball bearings!

...aaaand our wheels are now flying! More stability, less drag, great inertia, and better overall performance on switches (now it is better than a Lima H0 wagon, even if Lego wagon weighs a lot more).:excited:

The solution can be also applied to the locomotive chassis.

A video is coming...:wink:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Updates on my mini MR 20 Class. Even made a stand with mini narrow gauge tracks (2-studs wide) to make sure the mini model is also in scale haha. 

Mini LEGO MR 20 Class (4-studs wide)Mini LEGO MR 20 Class (4-studs wide)Mini LEGO MR 20 Class (4-studs wide)Mini LEGO MR 20 Class (4-studs wide)

A little instructional video: 

Edited by LEGOTrainBuilderSG

Lots of nice ideas for 4 wides. I especially like the kinematics and the placement of the wheels in the technic bricks.
Motorizing those small wheels with Lego parts may be hard thou. Even if you manage to do that, the traction will be poor. I was thinking to cheat and put a fixed, rubber wheel in the centerline and drive that. It should propel the train forward. Not super authentic but it does the trick. 
I got into the new 40518 Lego set. It is 4 wide and not too expensive.
Added rotating bogies
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-95898/Pendra37/rotating-undercarriage-for-40518/#details

And a 100% Lego oval track:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-96194/Pendra37/tracks-for-set-40518/#details

My turn again with some mini 4-wide models. i built mini versions of my recent 6-wide trains:

tram

and here is it miniaturized:

tram mini

small steam loco with a standing boiler

and here is its mini cousin:

stehkessel minivossloh g6 version 1

and here is the mini version of that one:

vossloh g6 version 1 mini

edit: and here is another one:

rangiertraktor final

and in mini form:

rangiertraktor mini

hope you like them!

Edited by XG BC

On 1/3/2022 at 4:18 PM, Pendra37 said:

Lots of nice ideas for 4 wides. I especially like the kinematics and the placement of the wheels in the technic bricks.
Motorizing those small wheels with Lego parts may be hard thou. Even if you manage to do that, the traction will be poor. I was thinking to cheat and put a fixed, rubber wheel in the centerline and drive that. It should propel the train forward. Not super authentic but it does the trick. 
I got into the new 40518 Lego set. It is 4 wide and not too expensive.
Added rotating bogies
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-95898/Pendra37/rotating-undercarriage-for-40518/#details

And a 100% Lego oval track:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-96194/Pendra37/tracks-for-set-40518/#details

Seems nice!!! It's a cute set! :pir-love:

On 1/7/2022 at 7:06 PM, XG BC said:

My turn again with some mini 4-wide models. i built mini versions of my recent 6-wide trains:

and here is it miniaturized:

and here is its mini cousin:

and here is the mini version of that one:

edit: and here is another one:

and in mini form:

hope you like them!

These are really good 4-wide conversions - but let me say - the small vertical boiler steam locomotive is simply....GREAT! :wub:

The Breuer is a real gem too!!!

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk
removed re-posted pictures

15 minutes ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Seems nice!!! It's a cute set! :pir-love:

These are really good 4-wide conversions - but let me say - the small vertical boiler steam locomotive is simply....GREAT! :wub:

The Breuer is a real gem too!!!

Ciao!

Davide

thank you! on the breuer i wasnt shure about the windows

1 hour ago, XG BC said:

thank you! on the breuer i wasnt shure about the windows

Indeed I was thinking how to avoid the gaps...it's really nice :classic:

2 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Indeed I was thinking how to avoid the gaps...it's really nice :classic:

you dont know how many combinations of bricks i have tried...the frustration wasnt worth it to try further ones. it is a compromise just like always in with lego

I have something new for you guys. this time not only digitally but also irl:

A mining train using the brio wooden toy tracks:

2022-01-08_06-02-52

How i made the loco:

first you start off by buying this loco:

71tIgfw2LlL._AC_SL1261_.jpg

then you need to remove the orange/green (the loco was also available in set 33790) body which is held in by a screw at the back and you are left with something like this:

2022-01-08_06-01-10

and then you need to open the loco up completely to remove the rear magnet to make space for the lego body like in the picture above.

2022-01-08_06-00-52

then you need to build a body out of lego that fits over the weird dimensions of the motor like i did here:

2022-01-08_06-00-32

the magnet is a small neodynium magnet that fits into it by using friction. you can have a front magnet aswell as a rear one:

2022-01-08_06-01-31

this mod is completely reversible as all we did is unscrew/screw back in a couple of screws and take the rear magnet out.

the studio files for all of my models can be found here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hjgdvvvhqfp9cab/AAAxPH4GhljTduZZJVCLmk3Ea?dl=0

How to build the wagons:

First of all you have to buy one of these wagons (or others with the same base):

brio-world-33577-wagon-transport-de-voitbrio_33654_big.jpg

then you have to unscrew the top from the base by using two screws located at the bottom of the base part. the rest is the same as the loco: build a body that fits over it. this one has a weird length though: 9 studs! you will have to use either double sided tape or normal single sided tesa tape made into an inverted loop to form a double sided tape to prevent the brick built top from sliding off. my wagon looks like this:

2022-01-08_06-02-08

here you can clearly see the wooden trains base:

2022-01-08_06-02-38

i also have a mining crew car (not built irl):

mining passenger car_2

I hope you like my models/idea!

5 hours ago, XG BC said:

you dont know how many combinations of bricks i have tried...the frustration wasnt worth it to try further ones. it is a compromise just like always in with lego

Eh, I can imagine , it is a mess with only 1 stud cabins like this one!!! You did a great job - the only other way is to use stickers, but it is like cheating :pir-classic:

4 hours ago, XG BC said:

I have something new for you guys. this time not only digitally but also irl:

A mining train using the brio wooden toy tracks:

NOW this is really really nice!!! Good job!!! :thumbup: :wub:

Moreover, Brio trains are another spectacular model prototype to be tried in Lego!!! :wub_drool:

12 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Moreover, Brio trains are another spectacular model prototype to be tried in Lego!!! :wub_drool:

tank you! @Feuer Zug and @Paperinik77pk. holdup thats an idea aswell to try and do the reverse thing

Edited by XG BC

You probably want to flip those 50254s around so that the rim faces the other way. Otherwise the wheels will not fit into the grooves on the Brio tracks.  

44 minutes ago, Pendra37 said:

You probably want to flip those 50254s around so that the rim faces the other way. Otherwise the wheels will not fit into the grooves on the Brio tracks.  

these are not ment to run on brios track. if you want them to run on brio track id recommend:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=122c01&name=Plate, Modified 2 x 2 with Red Wheels&category=[Wheel]#T=C

with the tires on they fit the groves perfectly pretty much

51 minutes ago, XG BC said:

these are not ment to run on brios track. if you want them to run on brio track id recommend:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=122c01&name=Plate, Modified 2 x 2 with Red Wheels&category=[Wheel]#T=C

with the tires on they fit the groves perfectly pretty much

Wheels on tracks, Mon Dieu. I prefer to use 15535 - 3673 - 2817 - 3673 - 15535 layout for wheels. Those have enough wobble in them to allow turns without rotating bogies. The only issue is that they tend to make the build a bit tall.   

800x598.jpg

For rotating bogies and more modern trains, the 50254 fits better.

640x480.png

58 minutes ago, Pendra37 said:

Wheels on tracks, Mon Dieu. I prefer to use 15535 - 3673 - 2817 - 3673 - 15535 layout for wheels. Those have enough wobble in them to allow turns without rotating bogies. The only issue is that they tend to make the build a bit tall.   

800x598.jpg

For rotating bogies and more modern trains, the 50254 fits better.

640x480.png

looks great! so i am not the only one with lego trains on brio track then. my idea was to do the reverse of what i did above to make trains looking like the brio versions but make them out of lego + running them on legos track thus my choice of wheels

Edited by XG BC

...aand here is the next batch of trains this time focusing on the brio trains the figures could ride:

61qKfz6kPWL._AC_SX450_.jpg

brio travel train 33505

brio-reisezug-33506.jpg

brio travel battery train 33506

61VcuslMOSL._AC_SY450_.jpg

brio ice train 33164

81dwby5ETXS._AC_SL1500_.jpgbrio-00033514.jpg512XMqc-55L._AC_SX450_.jpg

brio metro 33513,33514,33507

hope you like these!

On 1/9/2022 at 1:50 PM, XG BC said:

your wish is my command @Paperinik77pk

hope you like the locos!

I like them ... and I like them a lot! :pir-love:

I made once a locomotive for Ikea track, but It was years and years ago! I think it's a fun thing to do - small  toys give a lot of satisfaction! 

I am looking at Brio catalogues right now...lovely!!! :wub: