JopieK

Trains in 4-Wide

Well we're going to be diving into the vaults a bit for this thread, but it might be fun to revisit some old friends.

19684612085_83332f4057_z.jpg

First up is the Dutch DD-VIRM (discussion here*). This was my first MOC as an AFOL and a good way to ease my way in to the hobby. This model has had a couple of minor alterations since first debuted, particularly around the cab and the shape of the roof, which I have not yet got around to photographing.

* Apologies that images of the design process are no longer visible in the original thread.

20148845991_4e5d1d9383_z.jpg

The second is the Dutch SLT (discussion here) which I found to be a more taxing build because of the shape of the front end and the snotting required to make the doors. However, those difficulties just made the result more satisfying.

28147033504_1d55151e2f_z.jpg

With a couple of commuter trains under my belt I decided to build something a little faster in the shape of the TGV Thalys (discussion here). This is still 4 cars short of it's full length and is something that keeps coming back to my mind to update and complete.

51092453746_ffc47aecdc_z.jpg

As you can see, I did go a bit mental with this design and pulled together a line-up of virtual TGVs in various shapes and colours.

38007984172_ee3cf738c5_z.jpg

And then there was this whopper, a full-length model of the Ansaldo-Breda V250 Albatros in FYRA livery (discussion here) which got a special mention from the judges in the first OcTRAINber contest.

24183464094_19dd44761c_z.jpg

27353899512_28b3586b0c_z.jpg

And then there was this wee beastie; a powered 4-wide TRAXX loco using PF elements (discussion here).

50115560527_565f14691c_z.jpg

As yet still just a virtual design, but I did put together a design for some 4-wide scale track (discussion here) that could be used for display. It's perhaps a little heavy on parts usage, but it uses fairly common parts and the colours could be varied to suit taste and wallet.

I do sometimes think about going back and revisiting at least some of these builds and improving them and maybe building a few more. At the time I can remember finding it quite a natural scale to build in and, although it does limit the amount of detail you can include, such small builds can still be incredibly satisfying. Plus there's the advantage of being able to park any considerations or concerns about the practicality of the designs as they are almost always just going to be for display.

There are a few more photos on my Flickr page if anyone is keen to see more.

Really looking forward to seeing everyone else's 4-wide builds. :classic:

Edited by Hod Carrier
Photo changed

2 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

The second is the Dutch SLT (discussion here) which I found to be a more taxing build because of the shape of the front end and the snotting required to make the doors. However, those difficulties just made the result more satisfying.

Probably my favorite out of all the 4-wide trains I've seen. 

7 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

diving into the vaults

Oh nice ... that reminds me ...

"Follow me now to the vault down below - Drinking the wine as we laugh at the time - Which is passing incredibly slow"

"Part of you smiles each brick I lay - (Bring me these skills in the name of the Lord) - You'll feel your mind slipping away"

OK not exactly the original lyrics - but this is going to be a blast ...

All the best and a toast to @JopieK! :pir-huzzah2:
Thorsten

Here is my take on the GWR 4900 Class 5972 Olton Hall (aka the Hogwarts Express). Following @zephyr1934's suggestion, here is a link to the separate thread with additional images and discussion.

EDIT: As discussed in the separate thread, I am thinking through a redesign of the wheel arches. I will update the photo here when I settle in on a solution.

Olton_Hall_Left.jpeg

Edited by CMF-1138

On 4/1/2021 at 10:53 PM, dr_spock said:

Who remembers the Eurobricks Pimp My Camper contest?

9673395113_545786667e_c.jpgRailcar Camper by dr_spock_888, on Flickr

Aaaah the VW Railbus!!!! Excellent build!!! :wub:

On 4/3/2021 at 5:54 AM, CMF-1138 said:

Here is my take on the GWR 4900 Class 5972 Olton Hall (aka the Hogwarts Express). Following @zephyr1934's suggestion, here is a link to the separate thread with additional images and discussion.

EDIT: As discussed in the separate thread, I am thinking through a redesign of the wheel arches. I will update the photo here when I settle in on a solution.

Olton_Hall_Left.jpeg

It is a really, really a nice locomotive!!! Perfect for this thread!!! :thumbup:

Okay, it's been a while since I've posted anything here, but I couldn't resist building a 4-wide PCC Streetcar.  This one is based on the example sited at Union Station. Kansas City.

51101303789_daf1a40cb7_b.jpg

On 4/8/2021 at 4:01 AM, eurotrash said:

Okay, it's been a while since I've posted anything here, but I couldn't resist building a 4-wide PCC Streetcar.  This one is based on the example sited at Union Station. Kansas City.

51101303789_daf1a40cb7_b.jpg

Very nice trolley and showcase with background!!! :laugh::thumbup:

OK, so here is my reworked GWR 4900 Class 5972 Olton Hall (aka the Hogwarts Express). Additional details here in the separate thread.

800x450.jpg
---

On 4/5/2021 at 6:55 AM, Paperinik77pk said:

It is a really, really a nice locomotive!!! Perfect for this thread!!! :thumbup:

You are very kind! I like your D.345, as well!

Edited by CMF-1138

Some of my 4 wides. Brio compatible. TRAXX, V90/100, Class 80, V200, 424, plus various wagons. I was investigating motorization but only a monorail kind of layout would work on the wooden rails.
640x479.jpg

640x479.jpg

640x480.png

Against actual H0s

640x479.jpg

640x360.png

640x479.jpg

640x479.jpg

640x480.png

Edited by Pendra37

6 hours ago, Pendra37 said:

Some of my 4 wides. Brio compatible. TRAXX, V90/100, Class 80, V200, 424, plus various wagons. I was investigating motorization but only a monorail kind of layout would work on the wooden rails.

Nice! They have a Brio feel and look to them, but more refined.

Brio has metal locos that are battery powered, so technically it is possible to motorize trains for wooden track. Maybe a circuitcube with the BT battery box in a carriage and the small 2x4x2 motor in the engine?

On 4/12/2021 at 12:24 AM, Pendra37 said:

I reeeeaally love the way you designed these trains, they have a fantastic look! And that sliding door on the white wagon is GREAT! Very very nice! :wub:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk
removed re-posted pictures

My collection of 4-wide locomotives and rolling stock may not be as awesome as some works, or cute and functional as others, but here they are.

SHRX GP9

51205200500_bfdc8639a2_c.jpg

51204905614_db6f67797d_c.jpg

ATSF F unit (recently modded the nose based on another's post here. Sorry, don't remember who.)

51205200485_5ee941c48f_c.jpg

BNSF ES44C4

51203417627_c4a9a72519_c.jpg

Rock Island GP38-2 (Revived company)

51204134276_0abd24c9f9_c.jpg

51205200460_041315f67f_c.jpg

Hey Guys!

I have just built a very cute 4 wide BR E 69

The original:

LAG 1 bis 5 – Wikipedia

The model:

E69 mini

Hope you guys like it!

On 5/26/2021 at 12:46 PM, Feuer Zug said:

may not be as awesome as some works, or cute and functional as others

Wrong. Totally the other way around: Your Fourwides are awesome, they really are!

Very nice work.

All the best
Thorsten

29 minutes ago, XG BC said:

Really nice - I have no clue - zero - how you guys do it. Man, it looks like the original - with that limited size and part list.

Thank you very much for sharing!

All the best
Thorsten

4 minutes ago, Toastie said:

Really nice - I have no clue - zero - how you guys do it. Man, it looks like the original - with that limited size and part list.

Thank you very much for sharing!

All the best
Thorsten

I had already built a 6-wide version of this loco so i knew the proportions of it beforehand and then its just a lot of trial and error to get it to look good.

5 hours ago, XG BC said:

Hey Guys!

The original:

The model:

Hope you guys like it!

I agree. It's a wickedly cute little shunter. You captured the details superbly.

On 5/31/2021 at 7:23 PM, XG BC said:

Hope you guys like it!

Please go on with some wagons - It's awesome! :wub:

Time to update a bit this thread - pity my old PC broke down so I've problems in rendering new models (the laptop is reeeeally slow for this kind of  video performances).

But I succeded at least to do this one - in POV-RAY instead of photorealistic rendering.

V80 H0 Lima

It's a model of a model of the V80, directly taken from old Lima H0 catalogs. It's a simplified V80 with only two axles (!) that was available in a lot of Lima starter sets of the 80s.

Many of these locomotives were DB or SNCF, and color schemes were mostly invented. Being part of a toy set , solidity, bright colors and variety of wagons and accessories were the main requisites.

The "prototype" has no Lima decal on It , but I thought it could give a nice touch to a somewhat empty body side.

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk
removed re-posted pictures

22 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Please go on with some wagons - It's awesome! :wub:

your wish is my command!

E69 with two passenger cars