Janotechnic

[MOC] Launch Umbilical Tower + Crawler for Saturn V 1:110

Hello,

after quite some time I have found my way to Eurobricks forum... :wink: And even if it's not brand new anymore, in my first post I would still like to introduce my biggest MOC:

The Lego Technic Launch Umbilical Tower (LUT) for the Lego Ideas Saturn V with integrated Crawler.

Special feature: For the basic variant, you only need the parts from three Technic sets: 42055 BWE, 42082 RTC and 42098 car transporter.

With the given parts from these three sets, I tried to match the proportions and add details as good as possible.

As I dearly missed some details (e.g. the fuel pipes), I added some upgrades to the LUT. But this means to leave the parts bank of the three mentioned sets, and add some more parts. So far I have upgrades for the fuel pipes, a red crane front, more red parts at the tower, and better looking launch pad surface.

These functions are fully motorized:

• Driving forwards/backwards
  • Steering left/right
  • Elevator in the tower up/down
  • Turn the swingarms into start or supply position
  • Hammerhead crane turn left/right
  • Hammerhead crane rope up/down

Manually:

• Damper arm up/down for the transport position
  • Longitudinal position of the rope on the crane
  • Release tail service masts on the launch pad

Video to show the functions: https://youtu.be/pB5tYQBT_tY

(please ignore my errors in the rendering, and: YES, it was intended to not use the real names :wink: )

Building instructions and more pics are available here: rebrickable

And the last link: My insta account to follow me: instagram

And now some pics:

The basic variant:

01small.jpg

02small.jpg

Upgraded variant:

04small.jpg

Real picture of my MOC:

03small.jpg

Comparison for the proportions of the original LUT:

05Csmall.jpg

06Csmall.jpg

Feel free to comment or raise some questions! :classic:

Wow, this is great, I've dreamed of building the launch assembly to complement my Saturn V for a long time but I didn't think I'd have the parts nor time to design it but now it appears that you have made the design for me and I happen to have the 42055 and 42082 and various other sets and parts, but no 42098, so I'm wondering which parts would be required from that set... Any possibility to have separate parts lists for viewing to compare the basic and the upgraded versions?

3 hours ago, howitzer said:

Any possibility to have separate parts lists for viewing to compare the basic and the upgraded versions?

If you have an account at rebrickable.com, you can enter the sets you already own and make a calculation (comparison) of my MOC to see which parts you are missing. It´s also possible to export the missing parts directly to a bricklink wishlist (if you are already bricklink user).

If it doesn´t work, just write me a PM at rebrickable with a list of the sets you can use for this MOC, and I can create a list of the missing parts for you.

Amazing work! Well done!

I believe it was challenging enough to find which set should be combined in order to built your creation!

The result is almost identical to the original platform!