Enigma1612

Benny's Space Squad 70841

5 hours ago, MAB said:

I thought the main customers for this set would be kids wanting one each of the characters from the movie. There isn't a perfect blue spaceman in the movie, so they would have to shoehorn a character into the movie for a set with a perfect blue one to make sense.

I really wish they would have done a pristine classic space print on the backside of Benny's torso for all releases.  It would be covered by the airtanks anyway and would give anyone the option (especially with the newer unbroken blue helmet) to way more easily make a nearly identical CS blue spaceman. 

57 minutes ago, Willworkfortoys said:

I really wish they would have done a pristine classic space print on the backside of Benny's torso for all releases.  It would be covered by the airtanks anyway and would give anyone the option (especially with the newer unbroken blue helmet) to way more easily make a nearly identical CS blue spaceman. 

The arms would have been on back to front for that side and LEGO does not condone removal of arms as this eventually weakens the torso which would lead to complaints about broken parts even though they were used in line with LEGO instructions.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

The arms would have been on back to front for that side and LEGO does not condone removal of arms as this eventually weakens the torso which would lead to complaints about broken parts even though they were used in line with LEGO instructions.

I'm aware, but as long as Lego doesn't market it that way I see no liability issue on their end; unless of course they think the inclusion of it alone would prompt any non-AFOL to try it and then complain which is entirely possible. Still, for my own very selfish reasons it would have been nice; or just to have the the space squad have 'pristine benny' version.  

17 hours ago, JamesBenjamin said:

Yes, they are. I have yellow Space guys right next to ones from Benny's space squad and they are the same color

The old colors are a bit different, richer and more saturated. They used a different plastic coloring process before 2006 or so. You can tell if there is a light source behind them.

A rear print for Benny would have been perfect if they had done that.

Edited by CP5670

They did a "good print" Benny in the minifigure display boxes, I guess about 2012 or so. I seem to recall he had the motorcycle helmet but now that the modern old space helmet is out in blue, a decent "good print" Benny can be made.

On 4/15/2021 at 9:32 AM, MAB said:

They did a "good print" Benny in the minifigure display boxes, I guess about 2012 or so. I seem to recall he had the motorcycle helmet but now that the modern old space helmet is out in blue, a decent "good print" Benny can be made.

Which is exactly what I did! So I have a blue CS minifigure without Benny’s simulated damage.

It’s a bit of a Ship of Theseus problem whether it’s still Benny, but as I’m not a huge TLM fan, I’m not too worried about that.