Sebeus I

[MOC] Pirate Barque: The Spectre

What a great ship, I really like it, the color scheme is also nice, especially that dark brown.

You used reddish brown right, I think dark red would also look very good together with that dark brown hull.

Really great looking ship in every sense.  I haven't built one in a couple of years and you just inspired me.  I think I am going to duplicate the basic hull color scheme.

wow this looks amazing!!!

I just wish I had the time, money and skill to build a ship like this!

If I ever come into a lot of money I will be commissioning a lot of people on here to build me a grand fleet

10 hours ago, LegoMFP_David said:

wow this looks amazing!!!

I just wish I had the time, money and skill to build a ship like this!

If I ever come into a lot of money I will be commissioning a lot of people on here to build me a grand fleet

Have you got any of the digital design programs?  It's actually not all that difficult to design and build, if you follow some of the tutorials and indefinitely borrow without permission ideas from some of the masters such as Sebeus and CGH (not an exhaustive list, mind you) on here.  I think my best ship to date was the first MOC I ever made (link in my signature).  Admittedly I had to rebuild it a few times to get it to what it is today, but even in its initial state it was still pretty good.  It takes some time to get the design down, and Bricklinking the parts that aren't available from Lego is a pain in the butt.  The end result is something that you can be proud of, though.  I can usually hammer out a halfway decent five mid-section frigate with tumblehome in about 12 hours or so on LDD.  Significantly less time for a smaller ship.

Usually not in one sitting, mind you.  Probably 3-4 days to get the bulk of the design down, then I spend a few weeks looking over the design for tweaks to make before considering it finished.  Then sometimes quite a while to save up the money for the ship, of course.  But that's all time you can spend honing your design and getting ideas from others.  Seriously, give it a shot.

I know a lot of people showcase their collections of original ships like the Caribbean Clipper and such.  Some go so far as to build display cases for them.  Humbug, I say!  Design and build your own ship, and show it off like the master builder you spent your childhood becoming!

Do you have any pictures of how you did the hull? I would love to learn this technique but i can't wrap my head around it :D

8 hours ago, mischa said:

Do you have any pictures of how you did the hull? I would love to learn this technique but i can't wrap my head around it :D

I don't think I've kept many of the pictures from this ship during the build. But this tread has a lot of WIP pictures from one of my previous ships. It's not as refined as the Spectre but the principle on which the hull structure is based is basically the same. It doesn't have the 1/2 offset you can see in below picture though.

rear_20201208_004033.jpg

I hope this helps.

2 hours ago, Sebeus I said:

I don't think I've kept many of the pictures from this ship during the build. But this tread has a lot of WIP pictures from one of my previous ships. It's not as refined as the Spectre but the principle on which the hull structure is based is basically the same. It doesn't have the 1/2 offset you can see in below picture though.

rear_20201208_004033.jpg

I hope this helps.

Thanks a lot.

And another perfect ship in an even magnificant colour. I dont understand why lego always uses reddish brown, I like the dark one a lot more. Luckily I was able to buy a big lot of 1x4 plates in dark brown so I hope to get some more of this colour in the builds!

Do you only use knots in the ropes or do you glue them at some points as well? Until know I used only some black rope with small diameter which needed at least a double knot to not fall apart so I glued it especially for the shrouds.

22 hours ago, Stoertebricker said:

And another perfect ship in an even magnificant colour. I dont understand why lego always uses reddish brown, I like the dark one a lot more. Luckily I was able to buy a big lot of 1x4 plates in dark brown so I hope to get some more of this colour in the builds!

Do you only use knots in the ropes or do you glue them at some points as well? Until know I used only some black rope with small diameter which needed at least a double knot to not fall apart so I glued it especially for the shrouds.

I haven't used glue so far but I can imagine this might the way to go for the shrouds to prevent deformation.

Really beautiful build. Would love to see a video “walkthrough” of all the details. I’d love to build a ship like this someday. I’m so sorry to hear you lost records when mocpages went down. I see some of it was saved in the web archives, wanted to share in hopes some of your past builds were captured there!

https://web.archive.org/web/20180411212615/http://www.moc-pages.com/

7 hours ago, jordache said:

Really beautiful build. Would love to see a video “walkthrough” of all the details. I’d love to build a ship like this someday. I’m so sorry to hear you lost records when mocpages went down. I see some of it was saved in the web archives, wanted to share in hopes some of your past builds were captured there!

https://web.archive.org/web/20180411212615/http://www.moc-pages.com/

Thank you, I'll go through these web archives to see if I can find my archive page somewhere.

I am looking into using my YouTube channel more often so a video of this ship might be a good Idea. Although I prefer to let the footage speak for itself.

An ordinary ship it might be, but it certainly is a realistic one! Nice rigging. Looking forward to see it with reefed sails. Glad to see you are still actively building. 

2 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

A bit late to this, but 

Aye, better late than never!

That's what they said when the Titanic finally reached New York City in 1989.