Sebeus I

[MOC] Pirate Barque: The Spectre

Ever since I got the Queen Anne's Revenge, which was almost 10 years ago, I've been wanting to build a dark brown hulled ship. I had to wait for various plates and slopes to become available in this former rare colour. Some dark brown jumpers would have made my life a whole lot easier but I managed without anyway.

img_1790-.jpg

She's a barque although I did not fit any square sails, these might come later.

This could very well be my 50th ship although I can't be sure because I lost my archive when Mocpages.com went down.

img_1741-.jpg

At full capacity she runs 24 guns, a series of 12-pounders on the main deck and a few 3-pound swivel guns on the quarter.

img_1804-.jpg

Something that may catch your attention, or better yet, not at all, is that she's not all that fancy. No galleries or ornaments and a pretty dull colour scheme. Yep, ships like that existed too and they were much greater in number. One might get the wrong impression that the fancy, decorated warship was the common one, looking through the Classis Pirates archive. On that note, a fancy decorated warship does look nicer on display.

img_1749-.jpg

My main sources of inspiration where the Lady Washington and HMS Bounty.

img_1756-.jpg

This might have been a fast merchant barque, however, a band of pirates found a better use for it...

img_1766-.jpg

I've been wanting to use those zip line handles on the rigging for ages now, it took me a while to gather such an amount (there are 30 on this ship). I'm satisfied with the effect but It'd be cool to have those in brown or dark tan.

img_1784-.jpg

The Harry Potter wands for tying the rigging was another experiment but not really a succes in my opinion. It's pretty tricky to find a good interface with the ship. I think I'll go for simple 3L bars with clip plates next time.

img_1752-.jpg

Recycling swivel guns and capstan from an older ship... I mean, why change something if it works well?

img_1833-.jpg

Hehe, I've been using that 12-pounder design for like, forever :pir-laugh:... Same argument as above! 

img_1779-.jpg

img_1775-.jpg

Well, that was it for now. I might fit some square sails later although I have a lot of other projects going on, it will probably take a while before I give this ship some attention again.

Jeez, so many MOC ships around nowadays, It's a challenge to stand out :pir-classic:.

img_1795-.jpg

P.S.: I've got a couple of higher quality pictures at my Flickr photo stream, incase one wants to really zoom in on some of the details.

Edited by Sebeus I
Added link

That's amazing! The wands as belaying pins look really nice whether they hold securely or not, and the zip line handles are a clever idea! I kind of like her without square sails set - it looks like she's tacking upwind. Well done!

Who needs fancy decorations, have you seen all these gold coins in her belly?!?  :pir-huzzah2:

She does stand out, in a good way! Although the forward tipping masts look a little awkward to me.

47 minutes ago, Rotbart said:

Who needs fancy decorations, have you seen all these gold coins in her belly?!?  :pir-huzzah2:

She does stand out, in a good way! Although the forward tipping masts look a little awkward to me.

Ah, you saw that? :pir-laugh:

The rigging is a bit tight, maybe I should add some shroudlines on the top mast to fix that...

Instantly I thought to myself how nice the subtle colorway of reddish brown gun stripe on dark brown hull looks mixed with all the grey... a nice nod to the "everyman" pirates. A hold full of glistening gold is a nice touch as well haha! Is that bounty to be divided purely between the crew or was there an... investor for this raid?

As someone who has come around more recently in the MOC realm, I've intentionally tried to stay away from your style of ship and hull solutions purely as a point of difference. However, I wanted to tell you how wonderful and complete your designs are, especially your standing and running rigging and sail accuracy.

Perhaps our various ships' paths will cross one day.

Easy to spot that new Technic flag, good usage of it. Ship itself looks amazing, among many ship MOCs a ship with a simpler look is always needed. Good job, as always!

Super ship! Unique color and design! :pir-huzzah2:

13 hours ago, Sebeus I said:

Ever since I got the Queen Anne's Revenge, which was almost 10 years ago, I've been wanting to build a dark brown hulled ship. I had to wait for various plates and slopes to become available in this former rare colour. Some dark brown jumpers would have made my life a whole lot easier but I managed without anyway.

img_1790-.jpg

She's a barque although I did not fit any square sails, these might come later.

This could very well be my 50th ship although I can't be sure because I lost my archive when Mocpages.com went down.

50 ships!!:pir-oh3:

Jeez!
This must have cost a fortune!
How much money have you spend on LEGO parts!?

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

1 hour ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Super ship! Unique color and design! :pir-huzzah2:

50 ships!!:pir-oh3:

Jeez!
This must have cost a fortune!
How much money have you spend on LEGO parts!?

Haha, I don't keep all those ships at the same time of course although I do have enough material for a decent fleet.

The costs on this one is hard to tell, since I gathered parts for several years and most of them come from sets. Also, part prices change a lot over the years. But I am willing to spend some cash to get it the way I want :pir-classic:.

4 hours ago, cehnot said:

What string do you use for the different rigging?

Probably the cheapest part on the ship (I think it was €1 per coil).

usedrope.jpg

This is what I used for the running rigging, I have a black coil as well, which I use for standing rigging. I am generally a purist but for the amounts of rope required to rig a ship it's simply ridiculous to be using LEGO standard rope.

Very nice ship and great photos.

Our resident shipbuilder strikes again!

I definitely like the muted color palette of the ship.
From the pictures you shared, I can't really tell, but did you put upside-down the rounded brick used on the bow?
It looks rounded all the way from the keel to the bowsprite, a very natural look.

2 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

Our resident shipbuilder strikes again!

I definitely like the muted color palette of the ship.
From the pictures you shared, I can't really tell, but did you put upside-down the rounded brick used on the bow?
It looks rounded all the way from the keel to the Nbowsprite, a very natural look.

Thank you!

They are not upside down but sideways, SNOTted on the hull.

img_1782-.jpg

A 2x2 curved slope covers the studs on the bottom while two curved slope bricks take care of the top part.

(I see the rigging is pulling the prow apart in this picture *oh2*)

12 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

@Count Vroskri : Get to work. Some great looking layout for the FP.

Thank you, what is 'FP'?

5 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

That's a great looking ship, especially the rigging.

Thanks, the rigging isn't exactly a lego matter but it is indispensable for a tall ship either way. :pir-classic:

@Sebeus I I keep coming in to drool over the rigging! What is the longevity like on these types of shrouds for instance? I know it would be possible to adjust the standing rigging to remain taut with age, but do the shrouds ever have issues eventually deforming or getting saggy with age?

Edited by Supersick_
spelling

On 1 Apr 2021 at 10:51 PM, Supersick_ said:

@Sebeus I I keep coming in to drool over the rigging! What is the longevity like on these types of shrouds for instance? I know it would be possible to adjust the standing rigging to remain taut with age, but do the shrouds ever have issues eventually deforming or getting saggy with age?

The shrouds do get looser over time. Looking at some of my older ships they are still presentable.

Deforming is mostly a problem during the installation, the horizontal ladder ropes are tricky to add without pulling the shrouds out of place. It takes a lot of practice but I do a better job each time. Actually I didn't initially plan to do such extensive rigging on this ship but it seemed like an excellent occasion to practice as I do have plans for a large battleship which I hope to start in August.

Edited by Sebeus I

@Sebeus I. This is a phenomenal ship, from its impressive hull curvature, technices, and highly impressive rigging.

And it's also:

frontpaged.png