Pdaitabird

[MOC] Pilot Cutter "Lady Felicia"

Lady Felicia is a  cutter based on those used by harbor pilots in the 19th century.

Pilot CutterPilot CutterPilot CutterPilot CutterPilot Cutter

The top part of the hull can detach from the base for use as a waterline model.

Pilot Cutter

Many thanks to @kurigan for developing the hull technique and @Captain Green Hair for his rigging tutorial.

Thanks for looking!

Soli Deo Gloria

Edited by Pdaitabird

Vanity aside, I love her! 

I am pleased to see, what I put out there to be used, is being used. 

She's a very clean and refined version. I like a lot of the elements you have. The removeable lower hull is a nice touch. Now she can still be included in MOCs and dioramas or displayed in a classy way when not. 

A though: If you hang something like a 4263, perhaps with a tile on it, from the bow sprit, it would cover the clips and rod, making more of a prow like shape. It's be a simple mod if you like the idea.

All in all, great build! Thanks for sharing and the credit.

:pir-huzzah2:

Dave

The only suggestion I have is that you tile the hull.  Otherwise, this looks absolutely terrific.  You've even impressed Kurigan, who is the undisputed master of this type of MOC!  Well, done, sir.

Gorgeous ship @Pdaitabird! Tiling the hull might make it look sleeker, but it doesn't look bad at all now

Edited by evancelt

I think @Cousarmy0001 is right - tiling the hull does make a difference. It took practically every black 1x2 and 2x2 tile in my collection, but I like its looks better now.

Pilot Cutter - Tiled Hull

@caiman0637 @evancelt Thanks for the feedback!

3 hours ago, deraven said:

Looks great.  Simple but effective hull shaping, and good job on the masts and rigging!

Thank you!

3 hours ago, kurigan said:

Vanity aside, I love her! 

I am pleased to see, what I put out there to be used, is being used. 

She's a very clean and refined version. I like a lot of the elements you have. The removeable lower hull is a nice touch. Now she can still be included in MOCs and dioramas or displayed in a classy way when not. 

A though: If you hang something like a 4263, perhaps with a tile on it, from the bow sprit, it would cover the clips and rod, making more of a prow like shape. It's be a simple mod if you like the idea.

All in all, great build! Thanks for sharing and the credit.

Dave

Thank you! That 4263 sounds like a good idea. I don't have one in my collection, but I think I'll keep an eye out for one next time I order parts. :pir-thumb: I'm also considering ordering some dark red slopes and tiles to smooth out the bottom.

Edit: Bonus points for anyone who gets the name reference (without Googling it)!

Edited by Pdaitabird

1 hour ago, Pdaitabird said:

It took practically every black 1x2 and 2x2 tile in my collection, but I like its looks better now.

Pilot Cutter - Tiled Hull

Perfect!

1 hour ago, Pdaitabird said:

Edit: Bonus points for anyone who gets the name reference (without Googling it)!

Fr. Browns romance novel writing companion :pir-grin:

35 minutes ago, rock raider said:

I love this! Great attention to detail. I would love to see what the hull looks like from underneath.

Thank you - your wish is my command!

Pilot Cutter

The bottom is much blockier than I would prefer due to my currently limited selection of dark red parts. I may eventually rebuild the bottom with slopes and tiles for a smoother look.

I'd like to echo @kurigan regarding the removable lower hull.  It's a terrific feature that adds a lot to the boat.  When looking to tile the bottom, you might want to get some of the smaller slope pieces involved as well- if they're available in that color, anyway, and for a non-ridiculous price.  His advice on the prow is good, but I feel I should mention that from a builder standpoint I rather like it just the way it is now.  The way you brought it all together with the pole and the holders is really great, and as a builder I like to see how clever things are done.  I'm not saying that Kurigan is wrong, mind you.  I'm saying I also like how it is now :-)

Are the masts made from Technic axles?

Awesome, thanks! 

Yea, I think smoothing the bottom could be good. I agree that some slopes, particularly the curved kind like 93606 could be really helpful in achieving a sleek hull. I still like the shaping as is though. 

Hurray! What do I win? :pir-wink:

Yeah, I caught on to the show by accident, wound up watching a lot of it on Netflix, but lost interest shortly after things went down with Sid. I just don't like Bunty and Netflix lost the series now anyway. Good reference though. I like to use TV character names, some times, in my own universe. 

@Cousarmy0001

That's the same way it is on Bumblebee. I just covered it in a plate and tile combination, in a fashion not dissimilar to what I suggest. :wink: The difference, that I expect no one will emulate, is that; since Bumblebee's bow sprit isn't as ridged as Lady F's, the loop of string which makes the ring bolt for the bobstay doubled to fasten the bottom of the cutwater against the clip and rod assembly. :devil:

Yeah, tiling the hull has improved the looks, but how may times did she "explode" on you while trying the get them set just right? :pir_laugh2:

2 hours ago, kurigan said:

That's the same way it is on Bumblebee. I just covered it in a plate and tile combination, in a fashion not dissimilar to what I suggest. :wink: The difference, that I expect no one will emulate, is that; since Bumblebee's bow sprit isn't as ridged as Lady F's, the loop of string which makes the ring bolt for the bobstay doubled to fasten the bottom of the cutwater against the clip and rod assembly. :devil:

Yes... that...

17 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

Are the masts made from Technic axles?

Yes they are. I think anything else would have looked too bulky.

12 hours ago, kurigan said:

Hurray! What do I win? :pir-wink:

Bragging rights :wink:

12 hours ago, kurigan said:

Yeah, I caught on to the show by accident, wound up watching a lot of it on Netflix, but lost interest shortly after things went down with Sid. I just don't like Bunty and Netflix lost the series now anyway. Good reference though. I like to use TV character names, some times, in my own universe. 

You should check out the original short stories by G.K. Chesterton - much better than the show!

16 hours ago, rock raider said:

Awesome, thanks! 

Yea, I think smoothing the bottom could be good. I agree that some slopes, particularly the curved kind like 93606 could be really helpful in achieving a sleek hull. I still like the shaping as is though. 

I figured some combination of those and cheese slopes will probably be the best way to smooth the bottom.

Lady F. now has a crew!

Pilot Cutter

An assistant would often sail the cutter back into port single-handed after transporting the pilot to a larger vessel.

On March 28, 2021 at 2:24 AM, kurigan said:

Yeah, tiling the hull has improved the looks, but how may times did she "explode" on you while trying the get them set just right? :pir_laugh2:

Surprisingly none! Maybe having the initial row of white tiles on the outside helped to stabilize the hull while applying the rest of the tiles. I still held my breath while placing them!

Nice pilot cutter. Everything looks fine especially the sails and rigging. It looks perfect with the crew.

1 hour ago, NOD said:

Nice pilot cutter. Everything looks fine especially the sails and rigging. It looks perfect with the crew.

Thank you!

On 3/28/2021 at 12:22 PM, Pdaitabird said:

(Are the masts technic axles?)

Yes they are. I think anything else would have looked too bulky.

I'm inclined to agree.  Following the problems I had with the masts on my Endeavor copy, I'm always on the lookout for other ideas for masts.

If I ever again find time to actually read print, and not just rely on audio, I might take you up on that.

Yeah :pir-laugh: it's a stable enough format once you have it all together, but if she's not you baby... well ask @Phred about having to good-ol' Bumblebee show ready after the USPS delivered her via catapult for Brickworld :pir-wink:

Excellent display of this hull technique and good job on the rigging too, even a small ship like this benefits from some carefully fitted rigging, well done.

5 hours ago, kurigan said:

If I ever again find time to actually read print, and not just rely on audio, I might take you up on that.

Yeah :pir-laugh: it's a stable enough format once you have it all together, but if she's not you baby... well ask @Phred about having to good-ol' Bumblebee show ready after the USPS delivered her via catapult for Brickworld :pir-wink:

Oof...someone at the post office didn't get the memo that "next-day air" usually involves a plane!

2 hours ago, Sebeus I said:

Excellent display of this hull technique and good job on the rigging too, even a small ship like this benefits from some carefully fitted rigging, well done.

Thank you!