BrickBob Studpants

FRIENDS 2021 - Rumours & Discussion

So many fantastic details here! Phoebe’s custom dolls house, Rosita, the stick they make to poke ugly naked guy. I think they’ve even got that white dog statue.

Wish they gave us a few different options for the Magna-Doodle board drawings. Otherwise, I have no complaints. 

2 hours ago, AquaSazers said:

Wish they gave us a few different options for the Magna-Doodle board drawings. Otherwise, I have no complaints. 

theres a video on youtube with the sticker sheet, there seem to be three options, and at the end of the build video the sticker sheet appears to be spent. I have no idea where the extra two stickers go, back of the bedroom or bathroom doors maybe?

My only complain would be Monica's hair. C'mon LEGO, you have several hairpieces better than that one

Other than that. Great stuff!

Gladys being included is a nice surprise

If this sells well, what could they make next? Small vignettes like the seasonals? I dont see this theme getting another set or a CMF

Well, I’m not very familiar with Freinds tv show. I mean, I hardly watch Friends. Ok, you can dro your jaw in shock when you hear this news from me!

anyways, this set is A M A Z I N G! I mean, two apartments in one set! BONUS POINT for AFOLs! I like how many Easter eggs are included in this set. I had no idea who is Gladys so I asked my brother-in-law about her...haha (sheepishly). 

I think I may go and buy it!

38 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

If this sells well, what could they make next? Small vignettes like the seasonals? I dont see this theme getting another set or a CMF

Probably, CMF?

I really like how this set turned out. While I'm not a super fan or anything, I think this is a pretty pleasing build in and of itself. I'll definitely bricklink some sticker sheets and minifigures, seems like a lot of useful parks overall. I actually really like the concept of a theme recreating TV show sets, hopefully Lego continues down this path and hits a few other nostalgic shows.

Overall, seems like they knocked this one out of the park.

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The only thing I would put money on is a new set of keychains with the figures from the appartments instead of central perk. Maybe the fountain from the intro? Phoebe’s taxi might be another one if only for the fact that a lot of people want a minifig scale NYC cab. I don’t think they can make another set, but considering the amount of friends merch I see in stores these days it’s not out of the realm of possibility. I think this apartment set is a winner simply because it’s the main setting of the show, looking at comments around the place it seems to be drawing a lot of casual viewer’s attention because of that. CMF is probably most likely but would the casual fans buy into it if they were more likely to end up with a side character they didn’t recognise over one of the main 6? I doubt Ross and Phoebe’s appartments would sell (I know I wouldn’t buy them, especially if they were as expensive as the current sets) and outside of those there aren’t many more “iconic” locations in the show that I can think of. 

I’d guess we’re more likely to see more sets based on sitcoms in general since the target audience of a lot of those shows is the same. We’ll just have to wait and see how well the Sienfeld ideas set sells, that could lead to a Monk’s cafe set. They could redo The Big Bang Theory depending on how well that one is holding up in syndication? The Office is another one that they’ll probably do, I don’t find that show funny at all but there’s certainly a market for it. There’s two projects for it in an upcoming LEGO Ideas review, and judging by the amount of comments on the Friends reveal asking for The Office I have a feeling it’ll be approved. 

Maybe a special limited CMF series like TEAM GB or DFB? 

But yeah, the fountain from the intro is a great idea! 

I really don’t see why they bothered including the chick and the duck, when there’s no actual duck. It just looks silly.

Would also have preferred the sets to be two separate releases, which would have allowed for more other characters.

There probably aren't as many iconic locations, but I can think of a few that were important enough or in it enough thst Lego might consider. The Beachouse, when Pheobe meets her real mom and Rachel and Ross get back together, Ross's museum, as Ross and Rachel's first date was there, plus a fair bit of time was spent there. Could include a classroom for Ross to teach in on the side. One of Joey's plays/movie sets, a small set with Pheobe and her messus table, Rachel and/or Chandler in an office. Also some thing like football in the park is pretty iconic, or maybe Joey and Rachel on the boat. I realize that these might not have the widest appeal, just spit balling ideas of what could come, if they do indeed make this a fuller wave.

Edited by Childe_Roland
We also need a Richard figure!

7 hours ago, lifeinplastic said:

I really don’t see why they bothered including the chick and the duck, when there’s no actual duck. It just looks silly.

Agreed, to me go all the way or just don't do it, there is already so much in the set why try to get away with this one.

One more silly thing, as far as I can see from the two live build videos on youtube, Monica's secret coset has 2-3 studs of depth and a back wall, but they didn't put any sort of sticker/ print or build to represent the mess in there. One more weird thing where they went 75% of the way to a great reference.

despite those nitpicks, its an amazing set beyond anything I expected.

13 hours ago, Archer said:

Agreed, to me go all the way or just don't do it, there is already so much in the set why try to get away with this one.

Today I saw the rubber ducky piece from one of my son's LEGO sets and that made me wonder, why not recolor it white if they can't make a whole new mold? It is small, but still would have been better than the dove I think. This piece:

8UAekgMh.png

49 minutes ago, Vorkosigan said:

Today I saw the rubber ducky piece from one of my son's LEGO sets and that made me wonder, why not recolor it white if they can't make a whole new mold?

Maybe it’s one of those pieces that’s color locked for whatever reason? I’m happy that the birds are included since I consider them a big part of the show but I kinda would’ve preferred brick built solutions at this point. A new mould wouldn’t have been that bad of an idea since it would almost certainly get used in City and Friends (the in-house theme) sets eventually. All the city designers would have to do is throw the duck and a couple doves as ducklings in one of the small car sets and they could pass it off as “duck crossing”. 

20 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Maybe it’s one of those pieces that’s color locked for whatever reason?

It's been done in green so I don't think so. It's a dual-moulded part though, so they probably just couldn't in their budget calculations.

Ordered on VIP and now there's rumour of a Friends-themed GWP coming in June, a mug of some sort allegedly. Bit annoying but at least it's just a mug and hopefully not any exclusive minifigures.

Trailer for the reunion is out

TLG timing with the Apartments set was impeccable

The mug looks good. It would’ve been neat if they’d maybe added a few quotes from the characters or something like that.

So, now that I have the set, the one thing that irks me is the choose one of three stickers situation they did for the whiteboard on Joey and Chandler's door. Lego is no stranger to doing this (the early 2000s football bus team sets being the worst offender)  but in this case much like the duck in this case I wish they had gone a step further and included two extra doors or just not bothered. Multiple references is cool, but am I just supposed to keep the extra stickers in the instruction manual for all time? And obviously if you were to switch out stickers, say goodbye to the one you remove. Two extra doors isn't a big ask in a set that already contains 9 of them. Also it appears that dark tan is. anew color for this piece.

Edited by Archer

Not having seen the set in full yet, I would normally try and buy another two doors, and store them somewhere unobtrusive within the set. I know you shouldn't have to, but it would work for me. Then just switch out the doors as required.

This has been bothering me for a year now -- does anyone else have trouble getting the curtain in their Central Perk to stay up? Mine falls with the slightest touch and the connection feels loose.

Well, I was planning on buying the Apartments at the Lego Store in Rockefeller Center yesterday but to my surprise… that store doesn’t exist currently. (They’re in the process of relocating very close by.) Hopefully I’m able to make it to a different Lego Store sometime in the next couple days.

I also read the Brickset review of the set the other night and I absolutely love the “Leg Godt” sticker inclusion!