that_lego_builder

Do you buy old sets

Hmmm.

Old as in "used" or as in "a long time ago, from a galaxy far, far away?" Or does old apply to every set not available from TLG anymore?

BTW, depending on your age, the late 2000s may be felt as "yesterday".

I'd answer with "yes I do, but very, very rarely" - simply because the sets I personally declare as "old" are from the blue or gray train era - which usually drives the cost up to levels I don't want to pay for - well - plastic bricks. Plus you can replicate them with modern bricks and plates and purchase the still costly phased out stuff from BL. But I did, yes.

Hmmm. So what is "old"?

Best
Thorsten

7 minutes ago, Toastie said:

Hmmm.

Old as in "used" or as in "a long time ago, from a galaxy far, far away?" Or does old apply to every set not available from TLG anymore?

BTW, depending on your age, the late 2000s may be felt as "yesterday".

I'd answer with "yes I do, but very, very rarely" - simply because the sets I personally declare as "old" are from the blue or gray train era - which usually drives the cost up to levels I don't want to pay for - well - plastic bricks. Plus you can replicate them with modern bricks and plates and purchase the still costly phased out stuff from BL. But I did, yes.

Hmmm. So what is "old"?

Best
Thorsten

Sets from 20 years ago:blush:.

I've already bought the late 2000s sets that I wanted back in the late 2000s.   I guess no.   :pir-classic:

Well - same here. But: I am buying late 2000s "parts" (RCX, Scouts, sensors, 9V cables no - have enough - the cables disintegrate, I am just using the terminals:pir-laugh:)

When it comes to NXT generation parts, I'll clock in here for NXT bricks, sensors, and cables (they seem to not disintegrate:pir-thumb:)

Summary: Sets: No. Same reason @dr_spock noted.

Best
Thorsten

45 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

I've already bought the late 2000s sets that I wanted back in the late 2000s.   I guess no.   :pir-classic:

No?

18 minutes ago, Toastie said:

Well - same here. But: I am buying late 2000s "parts" (RCX, Scouts, sensors, 9V cables no - have enough - the cables disintegrate, I am just using the terminals:pir-laugh:)

When it comes to NXT generation parts, I'll clock in here for NXT bricks, sensors, and cables (they seem to not disintegrate:pir-thumb:)

Summary: Sets: No. Same reason @dr_spock noted.

Best
Thorsten

Older sets.

18 minutes ago, that_lego_builder said:

No?

No! It appears as if it does not make sense to do that, given that:

Spoiler

[To be very clear: This thread is fun, thank you very much @that_lego_builder for bringing it up!!!]

Let us assume that @dr_spock is - uhmm already into his advanced AFOL era. Like: considerably > than 8632 years old. I have no clue - none (apologies, if that assessment is offensive!!!).

Let us further assume that during that 2000s era, he had some funds available to buy sets of that time. Maybe even a good number. Then he does not need to buy old sets from that time, right?

OK: You said bying sets: No I don't either. Same reason as above :wink:

8632: Agents ... nice! Have fun with that set! Was it MISP or do you "just" want to play with it?

Best
Thorsten

That's not an old set, that was released 13 years ago. If that is old for you, you're not old enough to be here :pir_laugh2:

And yes, I do buy old MISB sets from 80's (classic space/castle/technic) and open them to enjoy the glory of the past. I build, I marvel ... and the parts go into my inventory

Then I sell the box and instructions in hope to make at least some of the outrageous money back I paid paying for said sets . rinse and repeat ..

Cheers,

Ole

Thorsten, i'll have watever you're smoking please :pir-huzzah2:

1 minute ago, 1974 said:

That's not an old set, that was released 13 years ago. If that is old for you, you're not old enough to be here :pir_laugh2:

And yes, I do buy old MISB sets from 80's (classic space/castle/technic) and open them to enjoy the glory of the past. I build, I marvel ... and the parts go into my inventory

Then I sell the box and instructions in hope to make at least some of the outrageous money back I paid paying for said sets . rinse and repeat ..

Cheers,

Ole

I did also brought 601. So if 8632 isnt old then what is?

1 minute ago, Toastie said:

:pir-huzzah2:

Cheers,
Thorsten

?????

601 is indeed rather old. Got a pic?

Just now, that_lego_builder said:

Plus I dont "play" with my sets they go on a self displayed.

Too bad. Playing with LEGO is what seperates man from aliens

Now, we meet at dawn with our secret DUPLO contraptions

Edited by 1974

That is right, they can't

But there are humans older than babies that reach this site that are still not old enough to post according to EB rules. Have you read them?

Yes I have read the rules.

Just now, 1974 said:

That is right, they can't

But there are humans older than babies that reach this site that are still not old enough to post according to EB rules. Have you read them?

Can you just not bother me thanks.

13 minutes ago, that_lego_builder said:

Do you think I am a baby?

None what so ever.

Sometimes things take off, sometimes things are really boring. This thread is fun, as said above! This is the whole idea of EB!

Now, with regard to 601: Why did you pick that? I am asking because by coincidence I did have that set as well. And I remember well, why I got it: My parents were out of the house and I was sick with the "flue". Was bad then but: 601 was what they gave me on return. I was so happy!

This is a very nice set.

Best
Thorsten 

Edited by Toastie

You have to put me on "ignore" or else I'll spray baby powder on all your threads

Love,

Ole

1 minute ago, Toastie said:

None what so ever.

Sometimes things take off, sometimes things are really boring. This thread is fun, as said above! This is the whole idea of EB!

Now, with regard to 601: Why did you pick that? I am asking because be coincidence I did have that set as well. And I remember well, why I got it: My parents were out of the house and I was sick with the "flue". Was bad then but: 601 was what they gave me on return. I was so happy!

This is a very nice set.

Best
Thorsten 

Yes 601 was a little good set.

1 minute ago, 1974 said:

You have to put me on "ignore" or else I'll spray baby powder on all your threads

Love,

Ole

Why are you doing this?

1 minute ago, 1974 said:

Love,

Ole

You are not funny by the way

2 minutes ago, that_lego_builder said:

You are not funny by the way

Please take it easy. Ole is from Denmark - I am from Germany. There is a - sometimes considerable - culture difference between the diverse folks here on EB.

Nothing is meant to be offensive, but rather funny. And this is where it gets really between the lines!

I am aware that funny and funny is very different between cultures. On the other hand, it is a chance for getting closer together.

I have lived for some time in the US - almost for the rest of my life - but then Germany called back. I love the US. Well - part of it. But I do.

Not of importance here, I guess.

Still: Is 601 just a little good set, or is there more to it - for you? 

Best wishes,
Thorsten