Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

BrickLink Designer Program snubs Pirates - so tell Bricklink what you think in their forum...

A blog post has been published which offers  various possibilities for as to Pirates may be absent...

Click here to read this exciting blog post!

UPDATE - 7 July 2020

Round 1 has wrapped up and you CAN read the announcement for full details.

But getting back to the important issue: NO Pirate Designs were made available!

BrickLink has setup a forum and they're asking for your feedback.

So give it to them!

Go to the feedback forum and mention you notice LEGO Pirates are missing - tell them you want this rectified for the future… And if you’re feeling productive, you can also reply to the announcement too.

-----------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL POST

Somehow Pirates have been completely overlooked in the BrickLink Designer Program 2021 Invitational.

Meanwhile, Castle, Town and Space all seem to be there in some form.

BrickLink are also conducting a survey so there is an opportunity to provide feedback:

image.png

There is a complete lack of Pirate themed ideas on the BrickLink Designer Program 2021 Invitational webpage:
https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/introducing.page

Meanwhile, other classic themes including Castle, Town and Space are represented, despite Pirates making it into the top 4 in the recent Vote for the 90th Anniversary LEGO set poll.

So my need is better Pirate themed representation in initiatives like these.

All of this speculation about pirates and the lack thereof in IDEAS/BL-IDEAS... Well, either it points to the good end, where these things are snubbed because Lego has something substantial in the works, or the bad end, where nothing of the sort is under consideration at all... (Perhaps because Lego thinks that Barracuda Bay/Creator pirate ship are saturation for this kind of product?)

Which is to say, I have no idea which is correct, but the middle ground seems unlikely.

1 hour ago, Flak Maniak said:

Which is to say, I have no idea which is correct

Until there is an official announcement from the LEGO Group, we do not have the luxury of assuming anything.

But we can complete the BrickLink survey and let them know the absence of Pirates has not gone unnoticed.

I also wrote a message.

But if Space, Castle and Bionicle sets get successfully crowdfunded, LEGO will probably make a Pirates set for its 90th anniversary.

53 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

But if Space, Castle and Bionicle sets get successfully crowdfunded, LEGO will probably make a Pirates set for its 90th anniversary.

There is no "probably".  The LEGO Group said they are only selecting one theme for the 90th Anniversary set.

That aside, the this topic is focused on the lack of Pirate submissions for the BrickLink Designer Program 2021 Invitational.

If there aren't any Pirate submissions selected for this program, no Pirate submissions can go into production.

Im still pissed... Total wrong call... 3 pirates projects in last round....

But hey... My Fortress is on display in LegoHouse so i will survive.. 

2 hours ago, Piraten said:

But hey... My Fortress is on display in LegoHouse so i will survive.. 

That's amazing that your Fortress is in the LegoHouse!

8 hours ago, Piraten said:

Let BrickLink know of their mistake!

18 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Let BrickLink know of their mistake!

I will... But I think know the response.. 

13 hours ago, Piraten said:

I will... But I think know the response.. 

No. You don't know the response...

Nobody knows the response until there is one.

This subject really turned me off Lego for a bit.  My goal is Lego is supposed to be fun and when its not I take a break.

As popular as Barracuda Bay is really don't see why Bricklink (TLG) did not include one of the Pirate Ships to be considered for the Bricklink go fund me sets.  The only reason I can think of is TLG feared this go fund me set would pull dollars away from the Barracuda Bay.  As many set as the Barracuda has already sold......feel this is TLG being a little too greedy.

Oh well, sailing on.  I have an old Viking set that should be able to moc the boat into a nice Pirate Themed set.  Thinking Impearl...something for the Barracuda to fight.

7 hours ago, LegoDW said:

feel this is TLG being a little too greedy

Don't want to turn this into a rant topic but I feel quite the same about them being greedy, more and more expensive sets are being released, like Diagon Alley or that new Friends set. They could've made it seperate sets, but instead made it one big in order to earn more. Guess it's the same problem with Pirates - we can't get just two sets which together are 300 euros (or dollars, depends where you live) we need smaller ones too and army building sets like back in the day, oh and also imperials.

UPDATE

Round 1 has wrapped up and you read the announcement for full details.

But getting back to the important issue: NO Pirate Designs were made available!

BrickLink has setup a forum and they're asking for your feedback.

So give it to them!

Go to the feedback forum and post. Mention you notice LEGO Pirates are missing - tell them you want this rectified for the future… And if you’re feeling productive, you can also reply to the announcement too.

My main issue with it was the extremely low amount of sets available, only 5k.

And based on the comments and how fast they sold out, I doubt 10k will cut it either... 😅

2 hours ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

And based on the comments and how fast they sold out, I doubt 10k will cut it either... 😅

Yeah, it's a shame that BrickLink and/or the LEGO Group don't yet understand how to quantify Classic theme production for the market AFOL... through this initiative or otherwise.

3 hours ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

My main issue with it was the extremely low amount of sets available, only 5k.

Scalpers are rubbing their hands with joy, with the mistake LEGO and Bricklink are making.

20 minutes ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Scalpers are rubbing their hands with joy, with the mistake LEGO and Bricklink are making. 

Apparently they're taking measures against scalpers by "Order limits of five per customer"... but after demand revised to "All future pre-orders will have a quantity limit of 1. "

54 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

"Order limits of five per customer"

It should've been a limit of two, just like always.

They really didn't care about pirates sets in this one. Also, the Bricklink forums are a bit too advanced for me to navigate in, but I've attempted to get their attention about this dire need of ours.

What if LEGO out of nowhere just completely blind sides us with a full on Pirate Wave?  That's why I feel the snubs mostly because they probably have something rolling in their sleeves I Think hehehe

3 hours ago, eldiano said:

What if LEGO out of nowhere just completely blind sides us with a full on Pirate Wave?

That is a possibility. 

We're currently working on a new blog post to summarise all the information and possibilities, and one of those is:

If the previous business strategy is still in place (I.e. a new wave of Pirate sets released every 5-7 years), we are indeed due for a fresh wave within the next 18 months

On 7/11/2021 at 2:59 AM, Mister Phes said:

That is a possibility. 

We're currently working on a new blog post to summarise all the information and possibilities, and one of those is:

If the previous business strategy is still in place (I.e. a new wave of Pirate sets released every 5-7 years), we are indeed due for a fresh wave within the next 18 months

A possible Dream come true, can't wait to see what they have in plan for us!!!