Roboteer

Connecting and using PS4 DualShock controller with 51515 Robot Inventor set?

A while ago I got a 51515 Robot Inventor set, built several robots out of it, programmed and got them to run, a good time was had by all. Was even able to download programs from the desktop PC to the robot, using EITHER of two systems: wired USB cable, or Bluetooth with no cable.

Today I just got a PS4 DualShock remote control, supposedly attachable by Bluetooth, and able to control a robot (supposedly) by a Bluetooth connection. Charged the battery in the controller and the 51515 hub. But I can't seem to get them to talk to each other.

The controller came with the usual miniature sheet of instructions, but I couldn't quite figure out how to control the robot from that.

Loaded the M.V.P robot instructions, fiddled around with its instructions for using the remote control, but I kept getting pictures of a smartphone on the Mindstorms screen instead of a two-hand controller. I believe I did successfully load all the extensions for these remote controls, into my desktop PC's "Mindstorms" system.

Does anyone have a step-by-step instruction screen for connecting and using a PS4 DualShock controller with this 51515 Mindstorms system on a PC, with a robot built from it?

Thanx all!

Edited by Roboteer

Coder Shah, thank you! Looks very good.

I've just started the video you provided, and started my Mindstorms system on my desktop PC again. Went into the Tricky project as he suggested.

First thing I noticed, is when the narrator starts connecting his PS4 controller, he says that he has to get his Bluetooth preferences set, to help pair the controller with his system. He goes to the top of his screen, where it says MINDSTORMS on the left with several other menus, and also has a dozen or so icons on the right, level with the MINDSTORMS logo. He clicks on one of the icons and get a list of Bluetooth devices, one of which is the controller.

And that's a problem. I have the MINDSTORMS at the top on the left with a few other menu headings. But on the right, I have nothing. No icons.

Maybe I have to connect the system to the hub first, I've done that before, using either the cable or a Bluetooth connection. Haven't done it this morning yet. And/or maybe I need to turn on the controller. I think I did that yesterday, I may or may not have used the right button sequence on it.

Well, time to fiddle with it some more.

Using a PC.

ON EDIT:

I just stepped through the video's instructions. He describes (and demonstrates) how to connect the hub to the computer by Bluetooth. I did that, and it worked. But, he shows his hub in the video with many icons along the top right edge. My screen has no such icons. Can you give me any hints on how to make them appear?

Edited by Roboteer

7 hours ago, Roboteer said:

But, he shows his hub in the video with many icons along the top right edge. My screen has no such icons. Can you give me any hints on how to make them appear?

That's because he's using a Mac. On a PC you can use the Settings. Here's a video that shows how to connect a Bluetooth device (headphones in this case) to your computer. 

Coder Shah, thank you again for all your help! You always come through with the right guidance.

After many mistakes, false starts, and funny behavior from my Robot Inventor set, I finally got this PS4 controller to hook up reliably with several different PCs scattered around my house. Desktops and laptops. Managed to write down the correct sequence of steps that has worked several times. And from that I wrote up what (I hope) are complete instructions on how to do it. Step by step, illustrated with screenshots for nearly every step. For PC only, I don't have a Mac or Macbook.

Can I ask you one more favor? If I can somehow email or download this to you, could you briefly look it over and let me know if it seems coherent and/or useable by a relative Robot-Inventor beginner? Experienced people probably would not need a document like this - they already know how to do this kind of thing. But given the conflicting sources out there, and the major differences in computers, something like this could come in very handy for a relative beginner in RI.

(I am in a position to know! :) )

Edited by Roboteer

3 hours ago, Roboteer said:

Can I ask you one more favor? If I can somehow email or download this to you, could you briefly look it over and let me know if it seems coherent and/or useable by a relative Robot-Inventor beginner?

I would not be able to verify it as I don't have a PC. Perhaps you can post the file on Dropbox or Google drive, and share the link here, and hopefully someone with a PC can check it out.

On 3/29/2021 at 6:44 AM, Roboteer said:

Coder Shah, thank you again for all your help! You always come through with the right guidance.

After many mistakes, false starts, and funny behavior from my Robot Inventor set, I finally got this PS4 controller to hook up reliably with several different PCs scattered around my house. Desktops and laptops. Managed to write down the correct sequence of steps that has worked several times. And from that I wrote up what (I hope) are complete instructions on how to do it. Step by step, illustrated with screenshots for nearly every step. For PC only, I don't have a Mac or Macbook.

Can I ask you one more favor? If I can somehow email or download this to you, could you briefly look it over and let me know if it seems coherent and/or useable by a relative Robot-Inventor beginner? Experienced people probably would not need a document like this - they already know how to do this kind of thing. But given the conflicting sources out there, and the major differences in computers, something like this could come in very handy for a relative beginner in RI.

(I am in a position to know! :) )

There are more people who like to do the same as you with Windows machines or Chromebooks. So it will be beneficial for others if you'd publish your document online or even as blog/webpage or maybe even as a video, step trough guide. Where you tell, what mistakes/false starts you did, and how it eventually worked for you, and what you came accros.

So that people who make similar mistakes, see how to recover to a working situation :)

Edited by BrickDesignerNL

I made a short tutorial how to connect a PS4 controller to a Robot Inventor. Maybe it will be useful for someone reading this topic.

Edited by artpoz