Klaus-Dieter

We want the amazing 60278 Crook's Hideout Raid!

Hello everybody! :classic:

Over in the Lego City 2021 Rumours, information and discussion topic it was reported that the great 60278 Crook's Hideout Raid set was cancelled by Lego. I'm very disappointed about that fact since we finally could have gotten a decent sized crook's hideout plus two more different police vehicles. (The giant brick-built dynamite could easilty have taken off.)

I thought it would be the best to open a topic where everybody signs in who wants and would buy this set - and after that beg an admin for sending it to TLG (like we did back in back in 2008 for 4999 - which was in the end very successful).

So please leave a comment here in order to let this brilliant set (or a similar one) become real for us! :wink:

PS: @Crazydance, could you please arrange a general petition in the web (like the successful one back in 2008)? That would be great!

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Similar hideouts had been released in the past, just in a different setting, so I am not sure what changed. 

Probably just remove the unnecessary gigantic bomb, then spin it off as another set in the future?

Is it really amazing though? The vehicles have all been done 99999 times (and recently too), dark red is nice but I really can't get excited by this one. 

Let alone begging for it lol

I must admit, I think that vehicles included were unnecessary, but the building itself looked pretty good for a factory and was silly in its own way. Then again I doubt that I would buy it if it was released, due to the vehicles.

The more us making a noise the better.

Let's kick up a fuss on every Lego theme forum.

One can only hope they see sense but it wouldn't be the first time they have done this and sadly I doubt the last.

7 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

PS: @Crazydance, could you please arrange a general petition in the web (like the successful one back in 2008)? That would be great!

Which petition was that in 2008?

Honestly I do not understand why any of the police sets are being released. Space police, where all the baddies are aliens, sounds like way better. No need for TNT or guns, just laser pistols!

What also annoys me is always those prisons, but a proper justice system with judges and a jury might be a little to complex for children.

Modified, it would make a decent industrial building. In light of modern "sensibilities", the giant dynamite stick has to go. Sorry, but the PC police have more power in LEGO City than their own. C'est la vie.

I'd love a hideout set, but it doesn't need to include 2 big police vehicles again, either have a truck, or a helicopter, not both.

While there have been 7 hideouts since 2013 , imo most of them had too much focus on the vehicles, instead of the building.

60009, 60048 and 60131 had a decent balance though, but especially 60046, 60071, 60173 had too large Police vehicles.

Especially with 2021 being more City-building focused with the road system, keep the large helicopters and such seperate.

Edited by TeriXeri

As a kid in '95, I would have loved this set.    As an AFOL, I don't really care.   Today's kids probably want Ninjago or Monkie Kid anyway.

On 3/24/2021 at 9:22 AM, Feuer Zug said:

Modified, it would make a decent industrial building. In light of modern "sensibilities", the giant dynamite stick has to go. Sorry, but the PC police have more power in LEGO City than their own. C'est la vie.

As far as I am aware, LEGO was under no outside pressure whatsoever to cancel this set. Their stated reason was that this isn't the direction they wanted their (typically more mild) City theme to go. I read the comments section on the Brickset article about this and it was all "virtue signaling" this and "cancel culture" that, and it just doesn't seem to apply in this context. LEGO has had a specific idea in mind for their image, and the curation of particular themes, since nearly their inception as a company. We all know the story of the yellow castle, after all. Their ideas change over time, but they still have a direction for the development of each and every theme, and different themes are handled differently. I'm positive set ideas along the lines of this get rejected internally on a constant basis. I feel as if certain ideologies about "cancel culture" are just very hot-button right now and perhaps folks are subconsciously seeking confirmation bias, trying to fit the square peg into the round hole to prove something about the way the world is perceived.

Maybe that's not the discussion to have here, so I'll get back to the topic: I don't really see what's so special about this set. Given LEGO's explanation, I'd imagine the big brick-built dynamite stick would have to be removed in order for this to be released in any form, and that's by far the most iconic element in the set. Without it, it's just a simple dark red building and a couple forgettable vehicles. Is it really such a loss?

You can add me to the list. As i said in the other thread, this is an actual bug City set I’m really excited for. It’s such a different set than what we’re used to, the factory is great & something largely unseen in this theme. 

I was really looking forward to this set. I can’t believe they cancelled it, it looked so cool. (Pointless vehicles aside, but that’s basically just expected in City.) There’s been a lot of talk about why it was cancelled and what’s wrong with it, and I don’t really think I can contribute to that in any meaningful way, but . . I would have bought this if they’d released it. I honestly don’t think doing petitions or outcry will achieve anything, but hey, I hope I’m wrong, and if this set does see the light of day LEGO can have my money, 

Yeah, it's too bad it was canceled. But with the simplicity of City sets these days, you could probably just build it off of the photos. :classic:

Now that it has been cancelled, it's the only set I want.

Seriously though, I did like the set and I am sorry it got cancelled but I do see how it could be in bad taste to release such a set.

2 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Now that it has been cancelled, it's the only set I want.

Seriously though, I did like the set and I am sorry it got cancelled but I do see how it could be in bad taste to release such a set.

Darn Karenistic moms. I blame them. 

But how on earth can it have gotten that far, for them to take a good look at it and go 'uhhhmmmm.... Naw. Doesn't really fit with the direction TLG wants city to go....' 

I mean, don't their design department have to answer to someone? Doesn't the pre-production process department have to answer to someone? Doesn't the box design department have to answer to someone? 

Literally, how can it get that far, to finally have them say no?? 

I'm not fussed on the set itself, no loss for me... It just kinda beggers me like how that kinda thing gets that far before they decide to pull the plug... 

Yep, definitely got to wonder what happened, who dropped the ball and how could it happen.

I guess it just goes to show, large corporations can and do make poor decisions, just like I do, on occasion.

The thing is, it is possible it has nothing to do with of the reasons set forth in this thread.

Hopefully at some point it is resurrected in some form.

On 3/28/2021 at 2:50 PM, Fuppylodders said:

But how on earth can it have gotten that far, for them to take a good look at it and go 'uhhhmmmm.... Naw. Doesn't really fit with the direction TLG wants city to go....' 

I mean, don't their design department have to answer to someone? Doesn't the pre-production process department have to answer to someone? Doesn't the box design department have to answer to someone? 

Literally, how can it get that far, to finally have them say no?? 

I'm not fussed on the set itself, no loss for me... It just kinda beggers me like how that kinda thing gets that far before they decide to pull the plug... 

Given all that, it wouldn’t surprise me if pressure from somewhere made them pull the plug. As you said, how could a set get that far into production, years, to suddenly be halted shortly before release. 

Granted they don’t owe any of us an actual reason, it would be nice to know it. 

Was 60278 Crook’s Hideout Raid the set that hinted at an upcoming museum(possibly 2023 modular) set? I can't find the museum hint anywhere in the current sets. Help!

On 9/19/2022 at 1:47 PM, 24nolf said:

Was 60278 Crook’s Hideout Raid the set that hinted at an upcoming museum(possibly 2023 modular) set? I can't find the museum hint anywhere in the current sets. Help!

An image of the set can be found on Brickset here: https://brickset.com/sets/60278-1/Crook-s-Hideout-Raid

The biggest issue supposedly with the set was the large stick of dynamite on the roof.