Sign in to follow this  
Seaber

[LDD] Saber Island/Volcano Island Combo MOC

skulla (1)

This is my reimagined version of Saber Island - this time the outpost has been built on the former volcano that makes up Volcano Island. 

skulla_3

Set on a 32x32 base plate, made from under 1600 pieces with seven minifigures, a seagull, a shark, a crab, a lobster, a clam and a starfish. 

skulla_4

The little dock is served by a crane that can lift the cargo up to the fortress. For the poor Imperials, it's up that rickety staircase we go. 

skulla_5

The staircase is in a bad state and many of the handrails have rotted away. Some supports have been put in to hold up what's left, let's hope they're strong enough. 

skulla_6

A view up at the outpost from the staircase. I added an extra level to the original set. 

skulla_7

I also added a little extension to the side. 

skulla_8

The roof also has a tiny bell tower build to raise the alarm when enemies approach. The cannon emplacement and tree are present as they are in the original set. 

skulla_9

I added a creeper plant up the other side of the building to add a bit of visual interest. I chose dark red as the base colour, I almost went for dark tan. 

skulla_12

All three balconies and windows in the middle floors have different builds.

skulla_13

The roof has been enlarged and I used the broken rungs technique from the Elusys Ra Anwal's Forbidden Island build to make the tower look run down. I would ideally have the telescope on pearl gold, but the sextant piece isn't available in that colour. 

skulla_14

The roof has a sextant and compass accessory, you can just about see the alarm bell in the tiny building. Below the roof is the Governor's office. 

skulla_15

The Governor's table is complete with maps, quill and ink pot, goblet and decanter, with a nautical painting on the wall. 

skulla_18

The office is lit by a chandelier, the table build, and most of the interior is SNOT. 

_20210323_150210

Below that is the barracks with two bunks, below that the entrance hall with a store room to the side. 

_20210323_150229

The barracks has a little weapon rack, the entrance hall has a banner and chest full of gems. 'In real life' there would be a mess hall and kitchen closer to the camera. 

And now to the Volcano Island. 

skulla_2

One thing I always wanted to do was have a skull that was solid rock, not with gaps for the eyes or nose. 

skulla_10

The skull opens up to give access to a hidden cave where the Pirates can store their loot. I did want to add a subterranean prison with access to the cave, but there was no room. 

skulla_21

The Pirates have to be very sneaky to get in their hideout under the watchful eye of the Imperials. 

skulla_20

I should have rendered these without the roof, it's very dark. There are little islands dotted around covered in coins. There is also a carved stone skull with glowing eyes, I wonder who carved it... 

skulla_19

The hole here is big enough to get your hand in for play in the cave. 

skulla_11

So that's it, I hope you liked my take on a combination of these two older sets. 

Any comments or criticisms are, of course, welcome :pir-classic:

Edited by JintaiZ

Very nice! This looks lovely with so many great details. I love the little bell tower

On 3/23/2021 at 4:37 PM, evancelt said:

Very nice! This looks lovely with so many great details. I love the little bell tower

Thanks, I wrote a long list of things I wanted to include and the bell tower was one of my top priorities, I'm glad I was able to squeeze it on :classic:

55 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

@JintaiZ check this out!

This is awesome! :pir-love:

I will be working on the blog eventually.

5 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

May I suggest prioritizing blogging new MOCs posted in the Pirate MOC Sub Forum - so this way Classic-Pirates.com features them before anyone else does.

On 3/25/2021 at 12:31 PM, Mister Phes said:

This is the most fanciful Sabre Island remake I've seen!

@JintaiZ check this out!

Thanks very much! It was a blast to work on. 

On 3/25/2021 at 1:26 PM, JintaiZ said:

This is awesome! :pir-love:

Thank you! :) Delighted to be blogged for the first time. 

Edited by Seaber

skulla_25

I re-rendered the cave without the roof, so the inside is more visible. It is still quite dark though. Also, I may have got a bit OTT trying to fit all the sea creatures in, but never mind :pir-tongue:

skulla_24

I was happy that I could add little islands in the corners of the cave with the sand getting dryer towards the walls, with scattered coins in the sand. The chest is of course filled with gems. 

skulla_23

I was going to add horns and a feather top to the skull statue to tie it somehow to the Islanders and another link to Classic Pirates... but I forgot. I guess it was created by a rival tribe :pir-laugh:

Really fantastic build, I'm loving all those little details. It has this new colors, techiques, while keeping the classic pirates vibe. Well done.

Edited by Ultimo

On 3/29/2021 at 4:48 PM, caiman0637 said:

Impressive, I love all the hidden details!

Thanks very much! 

On 3/29/2021 at 5:02 PM, Ultimo said:

Really fantastic build, I'm loving all those little details. It has this new colors, techiques, while keeping the classic pirates vibe. Well done.

Thank you, that's exactly the vibe I was going for :)