Rubblemaker

[MOC] 70cm long, 4,500 piece Gladiator Class Star Destroyer

The Gladiator Class Star Destroyer isn’t a well known ship from Star Wars lore (unless you play Armada) but there are tales of it here and there on the web. Here’s the Wookiepedia page for the main reference I used for mine: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Gladiator-class_Star_Destroyer/Legends

I started work on this on the 23rd February so it has taken me exactly one month of designing and building. I don’t use Stud.io or LDD so the whole thing was built practically.

Gladiator Star Destroyer fleet

MOC - Gladiator Class Star Destroyer

It has a full technic skeleton inside with several ‘ribs’ that meet in the middle so the chance of the wings sagging is pretty much non-existent.

I really liked the subtle markings on the references I found so decided to pick them out in dbg. I think this sets it apart from many traditional star destroyer Lego designs which tend to favour lots of small raised areas dotted across the hull instead of any type of patterning.

I didn’t intend it to have any sort of interior but as I built the mid section, which house the hangar at the front, it just seemed like a missed opportunity not to do something with it so I created 2 rooms, the Tie hangar bay itself and a generator room behind it.

The whole thing weighs 7.5 kilos. Here is me for scale.

The full album can be found on my Flickr page here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/164260086@N06/albums/72157718755411713

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Rubblemaker

Just now, MAVERICK26 said:

This is amazing! Are you going to make instructions for this? I'd probably pick them up!

Thanks, it's certainly a possibility, though it would be a serious challenge to build. Some parts of it are incredibly difficult to do (I'm looking at you bottom hull plates!) Which could speak more about my design choices actually. But as I say.. it could be done.

1 minute ago, Lfm55 said:

The pattern in dbg is really cool!

Cheers. When I started doing that I was like... oh no.. this is just going to look pants. But, it worked! surprisingly well.

Really, really slick. I love the incorporation of "lights" in capital ships. The tiling choices look deliberate and like the patterns of an actual hull. The hangar bay is also adorable. Nice work!

5 minutes ago, watsonogram said:

Really, really slick. I love the incorporation of "lights" in capital ships. The tiling choices look deliberate and like the patterns of an actual hull. The hangar bay is also adorable. Nice work!

Thanks. The hull pattern is deliberate. I just realised the link I posted for my ref material is an old one. Have updated it above.

That is a great build. I love the hangar design and the rest of the interior works really well to. You've captured the angles and patterns perfectly and the ratio of tiles and studs is really well done

Nice work! It was great seeing it slowly come together on your instagram.

Truly a wonderful ship, I love every aspect of it! The interior is perfect, and I love the mini-statue figures inside. Great curving as well, it looks just as sleek as the pictures online. Definitely a formidable opponent without a doubt! :classic::thumbup:

On 3/23/2021 at 9:48 PM, Stuartn said:

That is a great build. I love the hangar design and the rest of the interior works really well to. You've captured the angles and patterns perfectly and the ratio of tiles and studs is really well done

Thanks, made the whole interior up to be honest, couldn't find any references online to it. 

On 3/24/2021 at 8:14 AM, Cylo said:

Nice work! It was great seeing it slowly come together on your instagram.

Cheers, I really loved doing the WIP stuff. Going to do more of that in the future I think.

21 hours ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Truly a wonderful ship, I love every aspect of it! The interior is perfect, and I love the mini-statue figures inside. Great curving as well, it looks just as sleek as the pictures online. Definitely a formidable opponent without a doubt! :classic::thumbup:

Thanks. Yeah, gotta love those little trophy dudes! :)

1 hour ago, macaron35 said:

wow, amazing

any plans for a full ISD ship in the same style ?

I think standard ISD’s have been done to death. We now have 4 unbelievably brilliant large scale versions and countless smaller ones (not counting the numerous official Lego versions). Do we need to see more? How many more ways can an ISD be done in Lego. Choosing this one was a conscious decision to do something different in the star destroyer navy. Something we haven’t seen much before. I think if I do another one it’ll be along the same lines. Perhaps an Onager or Praetor. For now though, I’m taking a well earned break! ;)

Edited by Rubblemaker

5 minutes ago, that_lego_builder said:

Even more amazing now that I looked at it more!

Lol. Thank you! Just uploaded some pretty moody light brick images of it to my Flickr page that you might be interested in.

1 hour ago, caiman0637 said:

Wow, it's not often that you see such attention to a rarely seen ship. Looks great!

My feelings exactly, hence why I tackled a rarely seen ship. Bout time we started seeing some different star destroyer types given some TLC.

14 hours ago, hollielucas said:

Not only a great model, but great photography too.

Thanks! They’re taken with my phone. Though I did also use a pro backdrop, tripod and remote switch, but it just goes to show you don’t necessarily need a DSLR these days, phones are becoming so good for photography.

Edited by Rubblemaker

Wow! Absolutely awesome model. I like the dimple in the front, and for some reason I started thinking: Crashed star destroyer, crashed star destroyer....   Really great work with the patterns on the outside. Like you noted, it differs greatly from the Lego sets, which seem to just have randomly placed dots on the hull. Also wonderful use of microfigures, and the mini TIE-fighters! 

12 hours ago, Scoar Sonander said:

Wow! Absolutely awesome model. I like the dimple in the front, and for some reason I started thinking: Crashed star destroyer, crashed star destroyer....   Really great work with the patterns on the outside. Like you noted, it differs greatly from the Lego sets, which seem to just have randomly placed dots on the hull. Also wonderful use of microfigures, and the mini TIE-fighters! 

Thanks very much :) Yeah it does look a bit like a Star Destroyer that has wrapped itself around a tree doesn't it.

Edited by Rubblemaker