Sign in to follow this  
Jdmnstr

Small hexa-directional linear movement

Hello there.

I am trying to build a system that moves linear back and forth around 2 to 3 studs in 6 directions (ideally centered around a 2³ core). I only have limited space in total (8³ - 10³).

It's basically supposed to go inside a cube construction and connect to each sides of the cube from the inside.

There also needs to be space for a small motor and battery (thinking about the 9V micromotor).

I experimented with gears and liftarm already but can't seem to get it to the size I need.

Therefore I would be very thankful for some ideas or suggestions.

Cheers.

Boi I think it would be best if you would explain using some pictures or sketches. I dont know about the others here, but I myself have no clue what you are trying to do :wink:

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

Boi I think it would be best if you would explain using some pictures or sketches. I dont know about the others here, but I myself have no clue what you are trying to do :wink:

That's understandable. I will try to sketch some things in stud later.

In the meantime one approach I'm looking into is having something like this: reciprocal motion but in 6 directions at the same time originating from a common center point.

Edited by Jdmnstr

Here is a very early idea for the interior. I will post some more pictures. none of the movement has to be in sync (actually even better if it is not), but i have no clue how to connect the respective parts inside a cube.

rotary.jpg

Here is a pic of the cube and some more alternative idea.

The whole gearwork is supposed to go inside the cube and attach to the open areas, which will be covered by movable parts.

https://imgur.com/vaIUAeN

Those are all just very early ideas and I am fairly new to all of this, so any help is appreciated. :)

https://imgur.com/IdM21uI

Edited by Jdmnstr

Should they be linked together? So if you push/pull one side, all other sides act in the same motion?

That's not required, as they do not need to be in snyc, but I assume linking them all will make the whole build smaller.

Edited by Jdmnstr

You could use several rotating discs. Just like a music box.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_box

The motor and battery box in the middle of the box.

Three Discs above the motor… Three Discs under the Motor. Each disc with various “tooths” – pushing against the recieving brick of their particular box-side-panel.

The box sidepanels are spring / gummy loaded inwards the box.

You could use a very slow gearing (maybe worm gear) to make this whole contraption running smooth and sturdy… and getting with very differently “toothed” discs very different side panel-movements. Nearly stochastic looking probably.

Top-tip: since you are from Germany: the German Wikipage for “Spieldose” is three times more informative than the English version.

2 hours ago, marcus2388 said:

You could use several rotating discs. Just like a music box.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_box

The motor and battery box in the middle of the box.

Three Discs above the motor… Three Discs under the Motor. Each disc with various “tooths” – pushing against the recieving brick of their particular box-side-panel.

The box sidepanels are spring / gummy loaded inwards the box.

You could use a very slow gearing (maybe worm gear) to make this whole contraption running smooth and sturdy… and getting with very differently “toothed” discs very different side panel-movements. Nearly stochastic looking probably.

Top-tip: since you are from Germany: the German Wikipage for “Spieldose” is three times more informative than the English version.

I looked into the music box but don't see how this will work with a hexa-directional motor setup. Could you explain your 3 differently toothed gears idea some more perhaps?

Sure! :)

The idea is to use the following music box concept:

1280x720.png

different toothed gears are sitting on the same axle - and pushing the sidepanels - each differently - outwards the box. Obviously the sidepanels should be constantly pulled into the box - maybe by using rubber bands. 

You actually would not need 6 different discs... you could use one disc - and use three levels of the disc... like the following:

1280x720.png

Inbetween those two discs there is the motor - which would not move/rotate - and could be connected the frame structure of your cube.

This could look like something like this:

1280x720.png

This is however just a quick concept... there's need for tinkering with the "pushers / tooths" for choosing other parts which would not block each other, like they would do now... 

I've uploaded the stud.io files as well: https://bricksafe.com/pages/marcus2388/mercedes-benz-ssk-1928/forum_communication 

Edited by marcus2388

That's really impressive. Thank you so much. I will try to incorporate this idea and get back with some fancy results hopefully soon. (╹◡╹)

Here is what I came up with as a prototype. I already built parts of it with what I have, but wanted to get some feedback before I go and get the rest.

VD9ahJA.jpg

Here is also the io file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/xq6qv6dw5v9alet/moving-wall-cube-center-motor.io/file

The green pieces are placeholders for the insides of the respective wall. There will be very low resistance on the walls since I want to try something with nets.

Any thoughts? XD

Edited by Jdmnstr

It looks like this structure would tear itself apart.

It’s hard to describe… different colours for the side panels would have helped – but I’ll try to name the pieces :D

The green brick which is closest to the red motor… directly on the left side of the motor… if that brick is being moved one stud more to the left – as well the opposite brick would be moved since you synchronized always two side panels with each other. But if this movement occurs the other green brick (with the black panel) would be stripped apart from the construction since it already touches the black technic liftarm.

Same is true for all other sidepanels actually… they could only move one stud in one direction from neutral – but never in the other… which they would need to be able to do. The panel on top of the construction can’t move downwards – and the panel in the back can’t move in the direction of the centre of the cube…

Actually – this might be the best wording: there are three panels which can not move towards the centre of the cube – but which they would need to do, because your image is showing the neutral-position. This is true for the backwards panel, the top panel and the right panel… hence it is true for all three movement-pairs.

Holy cow, you're right ( ;°Д°). Guess it's back to the drawing board 😂

It's so much easier when you can actually test it. I'll just replace the long 2x6 plates with some more diagonal construction. Et voila. (╹◡╹)

Edited by Jdmnstr

Ok, I experimented some more but with little success again. I, however, finalized the cube itself, so maybe it is easier to grasp what i wanna do.

All sides of the cube are 1x1 studs held by a 10x10 net. I want all sides do move more or less randomly to make it look like they're pulsating. My initial idea was to attach something that moves back and forth to the center of the netted surface from the inside. Slowly I am getting the feeling this is not the best approach. :blush:

Also, in case you're wondering. One side is 10 x 10 studs x 4 pieces = 400 pieces. Times 6 for each side = 2400 1x1 plates/tiles. Took some time to assemble it. XD

GfdfJmb.jpgaZzDvNH.jpgvRBSoia.jpglRRfObs.jpg

I cannot add anyting to the techical part, but that contruction with the net is awesome! It's 100% legal and I can imagine some neat surfacing possibilities with such a surfaces.

Just a partial idea: if the sides could be sprung outward somehow, they could be actuated by pulling on threads, which might simplify things.

Unless you're going to mount the cube on its corner or hang it from something then it makes sense to me that you wouldn't want the bottom face to move.  In that case it seems the mechanism could be pretty simple.  Just put the motor at the bottom and have it drive a vertical axle that has a lift arm attached that's long enough to push out a side but short enough to be able to go around without hitting the cube edges.  You could have multiple if you want to push more than one wall at a time.  Basically a very simple take on the music box idea and you only need the top half of it.  Use a ramp rotating on top of the axle to drive a vertical pusher for the top cube face.  Since you have your very clever net construction your walls should already be springy, you just need to poke them with something periodically.

Seems like it should work but I'm sure easier said than done.  Also it would be very regular.  You'd need multiple layers of pushers more like the music box above if you wanted it to look more random.  Or maybe a coupler layers turning at different speeds on the same axle using a construction like a clock.