efferman

[MOD] 42128 - Tow Truck - Mods and Improvements

This is the D model I worked on in late September.

497iG2b.png

The concept is a construction play set which contains a backhoe and a dump truck. The dump truck is mostly recycled from the one I designed for the C model (Container Play Set). The backhoe is modelled after a JCB 3CX Compact, and has all the classic functions of a backhoe, plus a working steering wheel, a seat rotation function, and a side-shifting function.

However I felt very burned out, so I left it unfinished for a month. Now I look at it again and I feel no motivation to finish it. Coupled with the fact that the C model Container Play Set I worked on earlier isn't so well received (even by me, strangely, when I look at it again), I think I'll just drop this idea altogether. It's quite a shame because I think backhoe is a cool type of machine and there's quite a level of desire for it.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Here's my approach to solve 42128's fender gap issue.
It's really simple, minimally invasive and mady by Technic bricks only.

ZdLqFeZ.jpg

On 8/5/2021 at 8:42 PM, Polarlicht said:

Thanks for the info. Just ordered 40 for the tow truck, both mack models and a caterham :laugh:

Can somebody pls post (or repost) the B&P link for the narrow tyres?
Stupid me can't find them in the store... :look:

TYRE TRUCK, NARROW, DIA. 49.5X14

2 hours ago, XTN said:

Can somebody pls post (or repost) the B&P link for the narrow tyres?
Stupid me can't find them in the store... :look:

TYRE TRUCK, NARROW, DIA. 49.5X14

Search set 10290 on bricks and pieces

element 6319995

design number 70490

On 11/8/2021 at 4:18 AM, KevinMD said:

Search set 10290 on bricks and pieces

element 6319995

design number 70490

Thank you very much

So, I also did some minor mods, no parts required. Nothing to aesthetics, because to me this already looks plenty good enough for a technic set. It's all about the functions!

The 5.5L axles on the 2nd axle stick out too far compared to those on axles 3&4. So at step 8 swap them for 4L axles with stop from bag 4, which are for the winch ratchet levers. You can then use the 5.5L axles on the ratchet handles in steps 623 and 630. There are two red 1L axle bushes in the spare parts to put on those so they look more like function parts.

Swap the 16:20 gear pair on the crane rotation input so you can actually use that function without getting out of breath. They go on at steps 60 and 74. The 20t gear is close to hitting the 2*4 liftarm that raises the 2nd axle, but there's no actual collision.

Same goes for the rear lifter input. At step 100 put the 20t not the 16t, then at step 104 put that 20t in, instead of the 16t. Again, it'll make the function actually usable.

On 12/13/2021 at 1:43 PM, amorti said:

So, I also did some minor mods, no parts required. Nothing to aesthetics, because to me this already looks plenty good enough for a technic set. It's all about the functions!

The 5.5L axles on the 2nd axle stick out too far compared to those on axles 3&4. So at step 8 swap them for 4L axles with stop from bag 4, which are for the winch ratchet levers. You can then use the 5.5L axles on the ratchet handles in steps 623 and 630. There are two red 1L axle bushes in the spare parts to put on those so they look more like function parts.

Swap the 16:20 gear pair on the crane rotation input so you can actually use that function without getting out of breath. They go on at steps 60 and 74. The 20t gear is close to hitting the 2*4 liftarm that raises the 2nd axle, but there's no actual collision.

Same goes for the rear lifter input. At step 100 put the 20t not the 16t, then at step 104 put that 20t in, instead of the 16t. Again, it'll make the function actually usable.

Good improvements. I missed them while assembling my truck and now do not want to deconstruct it :). However to cope with chore of slow crane rotating I added classic vintage hand crank:

c5LSLDb.jpeg

Greets

Edited by sp1984

That tow 'bar' at the rear is not really well suited to pick up any truck that I tried (8462, 8436, 42078, 42112). It attaches at the very front only.

831_wr_35247.png

Thus it is likely to lose the towed vehicle.
My aim was to have a sturdy bar that can pick up the breakdown truck near its front axle. These are the parameters:

- should be as flat as possible to fit underneath the truck
- hinged to allow for turns
- space to allow for 16 & 20 tooth gear from drivetrain to motor behind the hood
- keep pneumatic function as before

I am quite confident with a solution that is based on a 28tooth turntable and 13L or 15L beams:

962_wr_35348.png

The setup uses two pairs of cross blocks 41678 to guide and keep the lift fork in the upright position. (This is possible only when the fork is aligned with the truck.)

965_wr_35313.png

963_wr_35312.png

This construction is somewhat basic but can easily adapted to special requirements of the breakdown trucks underside.

967_wr_35333.png

961_wr_35302.png

On 2/7/2022 at 7:00 PM, anyUser said:

That tow 'bar' at the rear is not really well suited to pick up any truck that I tried (8462, 8436, 42078, 42112). It attaches at the very front only.

That's a nice mod, I added it.

This is a great set. Really good lego designer level of mechanics. Lots of functions to fiddle with. I will have to rebuild the Mack to give it something meaningful to tow. 

Very sturdy - the flip flop beams really supplement frames to allow rigid building. My first experience of the new pneumatic switches - nice and discreet in this style of model.

Most of my tweaks are minor colour changes. 

k1X6r9u.jpg

I tried to make all the lbg behind the cab dbg, it doesn't pop out so much from the dark blue. 

Small panels above cab to white - the original lbg makes no sense. Also the 15L flip flop below the light bar to white. While still very multicoloured, the different colours are largely confined to zones of the build. 

So was finally able to pick up this great set and plan on doing some of the mods in this thread as I build. One issue I am having though is the hoses, I got 15 hoses in the bag, however in the back of the instructions, it says there should be 24, so it appears I am missing some, are there some in other bags, I don't see any? Also most of the lengths seem to be wrong, usually they are just slightly longer that what the call outs indicate, mine are either an inch or more to long or short, so I am not sure where they should go. Is it time to call TLG, or is this how it was for everyone else and it will work out? I hate to put it all together just to take apart to make it right.

Is there a picture somewhere that shows all the hoses, lengths and where they go, this is getting very frustrating quick.

Edited by Johnny1360

17 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

Is there a picture somewhere that shows all the hoses, lengths and where they go, this is getting very frustrating quick.

Maybe this helps you a bit.

Thanks, yes I did glance through that thread but I just went ahead and verified I do have the correct amount and lengths by going through the entire 400+ page book, lol, so problem solved. Seems like there should have been an easier way though. 

There are some great mods in this thread, thanks everyone for sharing their solutions. I can see this will be a great set for B models, mods and mocs, so much so I really want another one.

Edited by Johnny1360
Spelling

27 minutes ago, nintiendo said:

Hi,

Is there an .io file of 42128? I did a quick search but not found :)

Thanks,

I can send it to you through Facebook.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

3 hours ago, nintiendo said:

Hi,

Is there an .io file of 42128? I did a quick search but not found :)

Thanks,

I have used this website to find rare .io files very often, such as the UCS NASA space shuttle, way before anyone else made an IO file: https://fogeyman.tistory.com/1300

direct link: https://blog.kakaocdn.net/dn/rlAUp/btrfRDhD6od/YHMx2vUfQDADk5UPPNQHf1/42128.io?attach=1&knm=tfile.io

Edited by SNIPE

On 7/23/2022 at 7:17 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I can send it to you through Facebook.

Thank you all, I have got a copy from Ngoc Nguyen.

On 7/23/2022 at 10:11 PM, SNIPE said:

I have used this website to find rare .io files very often, such as the UCS NASA space shuttle, way before anyone else made an IO file: https://fogeyman.tistory.com/1300

direct link: https://blog.kakaocdn.net/dn/rlAUp/btrfRDhD6od/YHMx2vUfQDADk5UPPNQHf1/42128.io?attach=1&knm=tfile.io

I already got the 42128 io file from Ngoc Nguyen but your link is useful too, they have nice images e.g. img.jpg

On 11/3/2021 at 3:01 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The concept is a construction play set which contains a backhoe and a dump truck. The dump truck is mostly recycled from the one I designed for the C model (Container Play Set). The backhoe is modelled after a JCB 3CX Compact, and has all the classic functions of a backhoe, plus a working steering wheel, a seat rotation function, and a side-shifting function.

Even though it's quite late for 42128 alternate models hype, I'm resuming development of this model. I managed to make some new progress today yay.

One of the biggest challenge of doing a backhoe is the lack of bucket. It means I'll have to sculpt a custom one from Technic parts. After many tries, this is what I came up with, and I'm very pleased with it.

GzBF3lm.png

6 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

One of the biggest challenge of doing a backhoe is the lack of bucket.

I think whoever designed 42147 handled it pretty well!

6 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

After many tries, this is what I came up with, and I'm very pleased with it.

Looks cool! Well done.

Recently picked up this set as my first technic set. Looked a bit lonely so I bought a Mack Anthem to display with it with. Then I found this site.....

Then this happened;

sqe8OKM.jpeg

So with only the available bricks I have from these 2 technic models (all my other star wars and NASA sets where not being disassembled) 

I got to this;

appHszt.jpeg

93GTLay.jpeg

Then the leftovers from both sets got me these;

8sdu2Ts.jpeg

qLcqDOo.jpeg

Still had most of the Mack anthem trailer which I'm not a fan of so built this;

SyLqreI.jpeg

zvmLi6G.jpeg

All original functions work on both IE steering, engine and all tow truck functions. Have the bits on order to replace the orange beams still showing on the Mack Anthem tow truck. Also some to finesse the new truck as I only had the 2 sets worth of technic.

Considering motors etc for both, the orange and white truck should be first as plenty of room in sleeper cab and as I'm new to it easier to learn but the Mack Anthem is very tight for space so guessing will be lot more challenging. Any ideas what motors would be needed to give it basic movement functions (not bothered about the motorized tow truck functions).

Thanks in advance and be gentle this is my first go at MOC building.

Edited by Blippi

Huh, that's an interesting idea that works surprisingly well! The Mack would definitely benefit from having those orange parts replaced, but as you said, they're on their way.

Nice work for a first attempt!

Thanks appreciate the input. The Mack Anthem tow truck is now finished;

8jBRvlX.jpeg

FpP6rhP.jpeg

Wasn't 100% on the trailer which looked like it belonged to a different truck with the green so modded the truck and trailer into this;

695fNS7.jpeg

The rear ramps fold down using the hand crank on the side. HOG has been moved to back of cab. Also added white wheel arches etc.

Ad84HS8.jpeg

Much happier with the truck now and is same size as the Mack Anthem tow truck (with ramps up). So look good displayed together.

Edited by Blippi