efferman

[MOD] 42128 - Tow Truck - Mods and Improvements

2 hours ago, Polarlicht said:

Here are some mods including some more side and roof lights, and more importantly made ready for dually 49,5x14 wheels

Had to remove the dogbone (right) and white connector (left) and moved the 16tooth gears (middle)

Now the red bushings need to be replaced by 1/2 bushings and Lego need to ship my wheels order. Bricks and peices take forever

With this chassis width, the new 49,5 x 14 wheels will not result too wide?

I see in total: 5L chassis + 2L spaces (filled with half bushes) and 2L connectors + 2 half bushes = 10 studs.

4 wheels (2 on both sides) are 4x 14mm = 56mm = 7 studs, so we have a total width of 17 studs.

Placing inner wheels with the spokes on the outer side will let you save 2 studs?

3 minutes ago, mpj said:

With this chassis width, the new 49,5 x 14 wheels will not result too wide?

I see in total: 5L chassis + 2L spaces (filled with half bushes) and 2L connectors + 2 half bushes = 10 studs.

4 wheels (2 on both sides) are 4x 14mm = 56mm = 7 studs, so we have a total width of 17 studs.

Placing inner wheels with the spokes on the outer side will let you save 2 studs?

The trick is to replace the 1l bushes at the axles with 1/2 bushes and then put the doubles.

Nevermind. You don't even need a 1/2 bushing! Without its almost perfect. -> Only 1mm wider than original wheels.

With 1/2 bushing 2mm wider than original

Edited by Polarlicht

Great!! 

I'm also waiting for my order from bricks and pieces, still not shipped yet.

Trying to "how" some MOCs I found that this truck needs one more feature: a parking stop system.

Normally, the outrigger's grip is enough to hold the track in place but this set (like all LEGO ones) has ABS-flat outrigger "feet" which have zero traction resistance to the "ground" (desk) surface.

My idea is to add a dead-simple gearbox that will lock the transmission (and the wheels, therefore), possibly synchronized with outriggers activation. I see some space in the chassis and possibly once more mini-LA with a clutch system may help here.

or just add some rubber feet (2x1 double X rubber pads, found in 42106 and other sets) to the rear outriggers if there's the space. They grip hard.

Here is my slightly modded 42128

IMG_5914

IMG_5915

Changes include:

- Changed all visible coloured axles and pins for black or grey ones

- Attached the 1x2 special grille tiles vertically instead of horizontally

- Rim covers on axle #2

- Changed the clear-blue roof lights for clear-orange ones

- Completed the dark grey rear covers

- Added some wedge plates to the front fenders

- Changed the blue thin 1x7 liftarms for white ones

- Filled the holes when looking at the model from the side

- Added a liftarm to prevent the gear on the turntable from detaching 

Currently we are in Lockdown 2.0 in New Zealand, lucky Lego is considered an essential (educational) item and is still shipping, unlike Bricklink orders.

Received the 42128 set a couple of days ago - assembled with a few mods with parts on hand. Replaced a few blue pins/axles with black, front end mods, minimising external colours, no stickers - just 4 round coloured tiles visuals for knob function. Still a work in progress.

There is a Netflix series:- Heavy Rescue 401 dedicated to these trucks 🇨🇦  - There is plenty of inspiration for future mods too!

I have it displayed with a Mack Granite truck mounted on rear tow lift, works well.

51449880240_e83d4d4bd3_c_d.jpg

51449879875_a7bdb78859_c_d.jpg

51448159787_e4c1bc4514_c_d.jpg

Edited by LegoHoops

18 hours ago, Polarlicht said:

Finally after 300 years, the B&P tyres arrived...

Really nice! I hope TLG considers to put twin-tires on trucks in this scale for now on. Looks so much better!

This is my progress for the 42128 C model:

1jKY3md.png

The semi truck unit is finished. It is modeled after the Mercedes Benz Actros. The cabin is different from that in the B model. The trailer is still a bare frame, but this model is so uninspiring to me at the moment that I cant be bothered to finish it. There are no challenges or constraints that I have to overcome in this model, mostly because there's a lot of space, unlike the B model I designed. I think I'll drop it for now and work on another C model idea that makes me feel more enthusiastic about.

After a lot of troubles to unbuild parts of the truck, I finally managed to add two air tanks.
640x640.JPG
640x640.JPG

This was a real pain, because the trucks is strongly built in every directions. So getting access to the pneumatic tubes to reroute the pipe from the pump in the tanks was a real nightmare.
If anyone is interested in this mod, I can give details on how to do it.

And a quick upgrade :
640x640.JPG
I've added a cheese slope in white, because the door had a hole there. And I modified the antennas from LBG to Metallic Silver.

Desert Eagle is busy motorizing this set and also added air tanks:

EDIT: dang it he said he wont make instructions but he finished the whole mod in a later video :(

Edited by SNIPE

2 minutes ago, Pattspatt said:

two good looking models

They're not just good looking, they are jam packed with functions!

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

They're not just good looking, they are jam packed with functions!

I wasn’t able to comment on that yet :laugh: 

Looking forward to seeing the “meat”!

Wow! I can barely see original 42128 mechanisms under this fantasticaly detailed body! One more hail to Technic + Scale Model forums merge! 

Should it deserve a dedicated topic, so everyone will see this miracle, not only 42128 fans? 

1 hour ago, Void_S said:

Wow! I can barely see original 42128 mechanisms under this fantasticaly detailed body! One more hail to Technic + Scale Model forums merge! 

Should it deserve a dedicated topic, so everyone will see this miracle, not only 42128 fans? 

I think this model was built in 42128 scale and has the same crane (or full back end) only, the rest has nothing common, imo.

Agree about the separate topic!

This Rossier truck should be up there with Grazi and Dikkie’s trucks,  it I don’t see this as a mod of 42128 really.

Hello...Can someone please tell me where can I find the original file for the truck 42128 made in STUDIO.?  I would like to do some collors changes but first I need to see how it looks