efferman

[MOD] 42128 - Tow Truck - Mods and Improvements

I like the way it looks.

I'm waiting for the pictures of your comparison thread with his big brother. :classic:

13 minutes ago, dvm said:

his big brother

He has two big brothers :wink:

48206130336_556f5eecfb_b.jpg

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Nice! Considering a 2nd set for my 2 year old son just to build this. He's been tearing up my Arocs, which I'm not to happy about to say the least. But he loves to move his Duplo with a truck and your design might fit that bill perfectly :D And daddy gets some extra pneumatic parts to play with later on.

Edited by Verodin

23 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The design of the B model is done. I managed to get the 3rd section to fold neatly into the tight space.

Excellant.

1 hour ago, efferman said:

All the holes are disturbing.

I really like the widening of the hood. Looks great!

As right now, the "TYRE TRUCK, NARROW, DIA. 49.5X14" can be ordered for 1.88 € via B&P at Lego, has anybody already tried to do twin tire configuration at the rear axles? ;-)

6319995.jpg

On 8/4/2021 at 10:48 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The design of the B model is done. I managed to get the 3rd section to fold neatly into the tight space.

This looks really, really good! Kudos on the design!

4 hours ago, Jundis said:

As right now, the "TYRE TRUCK, NARROW, DIA. 49.5X14" can be ordered for 1.88 € via B&P at Lego, has anybody already tried to do twin tire configuration at the rear axles? ;-)

6319995.jpg

Thanks for the info. Just ordered 40 for the tow truck, both mack models and a caterham :laugh:

Wow, that's some amazing skills to make a B-model faster than the set releases :laugh: Lovely looking, really makes me wonder why there's no official alternate... oh well, can't hope something amazing from TLG these days, at least we finally got a proper set!
Even more insane is that it doesn't use any pneumatics yet has so much functionality *huh* Kudos for making it a cab-over engine instead of the american style nose too, looks much more modern:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Now all that's left is swap the wheels for 49'5x14 and we got a new top-notch truck heheheh

TNKnlCq.png

The last thing to do is to test build the instruction using the actual set. I ordered it 2 days ago already, but it still hasn't arrived.

In the mean time I'll take a break and follow up with a C model, which is none other than:

42043_alt3.jpg

Now that the foundation has been laid, working on the next model should be easier.

Does it mean it will be a cabover too, or a semi with a cabin borrowed from the main model? 😆

On 8/4/2021 at 9:26 PM, dvm said:

I'm waiting for the pictures of your comparison thread with his big brother. :classic:

That looks excellent, perhaps even better than the set itself. It would have been a great hommage to 8285 if it had been released in these colours.

16 minutes ago, rener said:

perhaps even better than the set itself.

Mmm I wouldn't say I'd go that far - the red fender's a bit of an eyesore. But @Void_S thoughts on messing around with a few other colour schemes?

Edited by Bartybum

41 minutes ago, rener said:

That looks excellent, perhaps even better than the set itself. It would have been a great hommage to 8285 if it had been released in these colours.

Agreed. :thumbup:

Here are some mods including some more side and roof lights, and more importantly made ready for dually 49,5x14 wheels

jn0EVDX.jpg

Had to remove the dogbone (right) and white connector (left) and moved the 16tooth gears (middle)

Now the red bushings need to be removed replaced by 1/2 bushings and Lego need to ship my wheels order. Bricks and peices take forever

JTMsoXM.jpg

Edited by Polarlicht

@Polarlicht, nice mod, I especially love the "supersingle" look of 1-2nd axles with these "deeper" rim covers.

Does this structure remain rigid enough after the dogbone removal? I'm trying to replace it with 3*5 liftarms and my variant looks way bulkier :sceptic:

59 minutes ago, Void_S said:

@Polarlicht, nice mod, I especially love the "supersingle" look of 1-2nd axles with these "deeper" rim covers.

Does this structure remain rigid enough after the dogbone removal? I'm trying to replace it with 3*5 liftarms and my variant looks way bulkier :sceptic:

Yeah the x20 wheels for steering and lift axle will stay. I think thats how it is on some real tow trucks.

Without the dog bone it's still very sturdy. The 7l axle with the 3 red bushings is connected to the other stabilizer on the other side, basically a 15l axle going through...

Instead of the yellow 9l axle you could use a 10l or 11l and add bushings. More sturdy...

On 8/11/2021 at 10:48 AM, Void_S said:

Here is a recolor mod, after 8285 set (the sleeper sides with 5*11 panels could perfecetly fit 42041's stickered parts with red stripes and Rhino images (the orignial 8285 containe them too):

I would prefer such a color scheme over the original one< and it looks just wonderful without any strikers)