efferman

[MOD] 42128 - Tow Truck - Mods and Improvements

5 minutes ago, Rebel_Lego said:

This set isn’t even officially released and someone already started a b model! Great work! But are there enough panels to make the dumping bed though? To me it seemed that there aren’t that many panels in this set.

Well, I don't think it has to have a full-paneled dumping "box". In general, it is enough to have a solid bottom surface and some skeletal sides.

Alternatively, it might be not a full-sized dump with cabin-height walls but just a "box" with DBG surface and orange 3*11 sides.

My model has a full-sized dumping box with a consistent color scheme. Just so you wait.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

29 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

My model has a full-sized dumping box with a consistent color scheme. Just so you wait.

OK, I really want to see it. Though it doesn't sound like an easy way :blush:

On 7/29/2021 at 6:58 PM, Void_S said:

OK, I really want to see it.

tHXjHTK.png

T-face McT-truck, coming Soon™ to a Rebricakable near you. :tongue:

Let's go for the mods :
I've finally managed to fit a working steering wheel in the cab, without massive modifications.
400x326.png 400x287.png
The only visible change is the tan bevel gear that is visible.
The steering wheel idea is based on the mack's one. This adds a side functionality, that is the inclination of the steering wheel.

Some IRL pictures, to show that it's working :
640x640.JPG

640x640.JPG

There are a few more pictures in my Bricksafe gallery .

I think I'm 90 percent done with the B model. There is still one more function to work on, but I need to get a real set to do it. Before then, there is little else I can do on Studio. 

5JKC4Cn.png

Possible names:

- Mini 42043
- The second coming of 42043
T-face Mc-T-truck

Functions:

- Twin drive rear axles
- Inline 6 engines
- Twin steer front axles with different radii
- HOG steering
- Tiltable cab
- Openable doors

- Linked 4 outriggers
- Dumping bed
- Tail gate lock
- Crane slewing
- Crane's 1st section raising
- Crane's 2nd section raising. This is the unfinished function. I want to go for a foldable knuckle boom like the one on the 8258. The second section requires a design that can translate a 3-unit stroke of the mini linear actuator into a swing motion of approximately 120 degrees. If I can't figure out, I'll go with the straight boom like the one on 42043.
- Crane's 3rd section extending
- Winch

Essentially all the cool functions of 42043, minus the suspension, motorization, and pneumatics. The lack of pneumatics is both a good thing and maybe a bad thing. It's a good thing because if you want to buy this set only for the pneumatics, you can use the remaining parts to build something nice. It's maybe a bad thing because the 42043 has pneumatics and this model doesn't. The reason for no pneumatic is simply that there's no space.

All the niceties details from of 42043 are replicated:

- Modular build
- Side mirrors
- Additional two mirrors on passenger's side
- Horns
- Antenna
- Hazard lights
- Aerodynamic roof fairing
- Wheel chocks
- Tow hitch in the rear

And additional niceties

- Screen wipers
- 3 pedals under the steering wheel with different shapes
- Aircon slits on dashboard
- Cup holders on dashboard
- Adjustable arm rests on chair
- Adjustable back rests on chair
- Adjustable head rests on chair
- Bed with pillow and blanket
- Table and drawing under the bed
- Overhead shelf
- Fuel tanks
- Oil filters

Are you interested now :laugh:

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

23 hours ago, Touc4nx said:

Let's go for the mods :
I've finally managed to fit a working steering wheel in the cab, without massive modifications.

The only visible change is the tan bevel gear that is visible.
The steering wheel idea is based on the mack's one. This adds a side functionality, that is the inclination of the steering wheel.

Some IRL pictures, to show that it's working :

There are a few more pictures in my Bricksafe gallery .

You could use a black bevel gear...

Edited by Coolusername

1 hour ago, Coolusername said:

You could use a black bevel gear...

Maybe, where ? I'm not sure to understand of what part you think of…

I rebuilt the set yesterday from my collection, and have just finished adding a motorized compressor, entirely hidden in the sleeper module. I'm going to be gone for much of the day, but I'll hopefully have some pictures to show this evening.

2 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I rebuilt the set yesterday from my collection, and have just finished adding a motorized compressor, entirely hidden in the sleeper module. I'm going to be gone for much of the day, but I'll hopefully have some pictures to show this evening.

I had an idea to use the sleeper compartment for the PU hub and to put the motor+pump instead of the section with a manual pump.

3 hours ago, Touc4nx said:

Maybe, where ? I'm not sure to understand of what part you think of…

Instead of the tan one.

1 hour ago, Coolusername said:

Instead of the tan one.

Oh yeah, of course, a LBG one might even look better :)

On 7/31/2021 at 7:46 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

T-face McT-truck, coming Soon™ to a Rebricakable near you. :tongue:

Trucky Mctruck face, lol.

I'm now ready to present my mods!

640x480.jpg

First, in order to build the set using my limited collection, a number of mods were necessary. Apart from the obviously messy color scheme, I also had to use an old manual pump, old valves, and old rear tires, and I also eliminated all 11 and 15L alternating pinhole beams. (Tricky, but possible)

Next, I started looking at fitting a 8878 PF rechargeable battery and L-motor into the sleeper. In the end, the reinforcement for the 12/20T gears in the steering mechanism got in my way, and as Sariel has already complained about the low steering ratio, I decided I might as well get rid of the gears to save space. I used an axle with two universal joints to move the shaft the two studs back. Removing the gears also reversed the direction, though, so I had to flip a 20T single-bevel gear further along in the steering drivetrain to the other side of its bracing to fix this. Then, I fit the 8878 battery vertically on the right side of the sleeper, and the L-motor vertically on the left side. It's output goes into the top of a sideways O-frame in the truck's frame, where it runs a single 6L pump without any gearing. I'd prefer to gear it up up to three times, but there really isn't room for gearing. Performance is thus adequate, but on the slower side (The manual pump remains in place to speed it up, if necessary). In order to easily control this motor, I added a PF switch to the rear of the sleeper. This switch is the only visible part of this mechanism, and the battery box itself is reasonably accessible to turn on or off.

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

Finally, I added a pneumatic air tank behind the sleeper, since I couldn't find any room anywhere else (Unless one wanted to work it into the fuel tanks, but that would really require one for each side, and more significant mods than I did). I think it looks quite reasonable there, though, and doesn't really get in the way of anything. Earlier discussion on here made it sound like air tanks were somewhat a matter of personal preference, and after playing with the model for a while, I have decided that my personal preference for this model is to not have the air tank. It's not difficult to add, as I did, though.

640x480.jpg

Overall, I think the mods were cleanly integrated, but the speed of the compressor was lacking, so I often reverted to using the manual pump. This could be rectified by using a Buwizz for power, with or without high-powered Chinese L-motors. Also, my only Lego 6L pneumatic pump, the one I used here, has been well used over the past 3.5 years, so it is possible that some blame can be laid on it; I don't know for sure, but it has seemed to be deteriorating.

More images are available at: https://bricksafe.com/pages/2GodBDGlory/42128-mods

I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in reproducing these mods, and I'm also not sure how many people would be able to figure them out from my pictures. Some could, but I'm not sure how many. Let me know if any of you have questions, but I had fun with it either way!

Edited by 2GodBDGlory

21 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Are you interested now :laugh:

I am !

Looks great already even if I'm not totally sold on the front. Anyway, you managed to pack a high level of function in that mid size B-model.

9 minutes ago, fosamax said:

I am !

Looks great already even if I'm not totally sold on the front. Anyway, you managed to pack a high level of function in that mid size B-model.

Thanks a lot!

9 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

also eliminated all 11 and 15L alternating pinhole beams. (Tricky, but possible)

I'm curious to know how you managed that, from what I could see, it looked quite hard to make.

If I understand correctly, you placed a manual and  a motorized pump in the truck at the same time ?
Overall your mod seems pretty great, I thought of using the space in the sleeper to fit a motor/ several motors, but this would be for a RC mod.

First of all I wonder why still nobody attach two metal hooks to the crane instead of those plastic ones?

On 4/1/2021 at 11:44 AM, efferman said:

1110 Parts and it is, beside the bugfixing, done.

51084003488_2a5d67cc89_c.jpg

I love your design very much! But how about playing a bit more with the sleeper top? I mean not leave simply one panel, but build some smooth construction?

1 hour ago, Touc4nx said:

If I understand correctly, you placed a manual and  a motorized pump in the truck at the same time ?

That's a great idea! I did the same for 42053 excavator (just some minor rearrangement of the tubes) and you got a possibility to use it with or without the batteries, plus manually "speed it up" when required.

In general, the construction machinery with pneumatic/hydraulic equipment powered by its engine has an RPM controller, which sets the engine speed and, as a result, the pumps' speed and power. It may be a good feature to have the RPM controller here, as a HOG knob attached to the rechargeable battery.

8 hours ago, Aleh said:

I love your design very much! But how about playing a bit more with the sleeper top? I mean not leave simply one panel, but build some smooth construction?

I wanted to keep the Partcount low, and by the way, the Panel is the batteryswitch.

1 hour ago, efferman said:

I wanted to keep the Partcount low, and by the way, the Panel is the batteryswitch.

Got it.

13 hours ago, Touc4nx said:

I'm curious to know how you managed that, from what I could see, it looked quite hard to make.

Overall your mod seems pretty great, I thought of using the space in the sleeper to fit a motor/ several motors, but this would be for a RC mod.

Well, each alternating pinhole beam removal was different, but my main two strategies were to replace it with a normal beam, and then build little assemblies to "wrap around" the beam to bring the needed pinholes back into play (a stud up), or to replace the beam with a bunch of connectors allowing attachment at an angle (more useful when the beam was already alongside something else structural)

Yes, I do have both pumps. I could have removed the manual one, but I wasn't using the space, so there was no point putting in more work to decrease the functionality. I actually use both manual and motorized compressors in virtually all of my pneumatic MOCs, just in case I get impatient!

I think the easiest bet for a motorized mod is likely to put a battery and servo in the sleeper, both facing vertically, and then put a drive motor in place of the piston engine. If the piston engine were to be retained, it would be considerably trickier.