After returning to Port Raleigh from his reconnaissance mission to observe Aurelia's defenses, Captain Hunter exchanged his plainclothes for an officer's uniform. He met with the commanding officers of the 33rd Regiment "Red Sons" and Port Raleigh Militia at Flynn Blockhouse to describe the mission they were about to embark on.

The following morning, a large contingent of 210 soldiers sailed upriver to the headwaters of Queen's River. There they were joined by 40 Ténotclaxcan warriors raised in Elisabethtown. The Ténotclaxcans had a good relationship with the Corlanders, having traded with them successfully for many years. The native warriors led the group overland along ancient interior paths toward the northeast corner of the island.

The group approached Aurelia from the west. Aurelia had only one small fort which was positioned offshore on a small island. By keeping Batterie Royale directly on the opposite side of the city from their approach, the joint Corlander / Eslandolan force hoped the fort would be unable to fire on them for fear of hitting the settlement.

As they slowly inched closer to the edge of the jungle, Captain Hunter had the 33rd deploy a 12-pounder to the side of the path. A prickly canpear fell from the tree canopy overhead, causing the soldiers to momentarily freeze in their tracks. Finally in position, the troops crouched low, ready to spring into action once their presence was known. Taking sight of Aurelia's western gate, the artillerymen let loose the field gun with a mighty roar. The shot collided heavily with the gate, blowing it off its hinges. The combined force rushed toward the now open entryway. Unto the breach!

@Bodi, @KotZ, @CapOnBOBS, @Keymonus, @Bregir, @Capt Wolf, @Faladrin

aurelia-2.jpg

aurelia-attack-1.jpg

aurelia-well.jpg

More Pictures:

Spoiler

aurelia-1.jpg

Edited by evancelt

Good and neatly built battle scene. The many links to the story were interesting and helpful.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find Aurelia in Zone 20 on any map.

Thanks @NOD - Aurelia is the Corlander name for Dragonstone. Aurelia doesn't have a settlement page by that name, but Dragonstone does. Capt Wolf makes note of this name change in the recent MRCA post.

Aurelia shares the island of Annetta with Port Raleigh and Elisabethtown

50406692923_644304645c_c.jpg

Edited by evancelt

4 minutes ago, evancelt said:

Thanks @NOD - Aurelia is the Corlander name for Dragonstone. Aurelia doesn't have a settlement page by that name, but Dragonstone does. Capt Wolf makes note of this name change in the recent MRCA post.

Great, thank you very much, now I've found it on the map.

Very nice.  They shouldn't have brought sword to a cannon fight! :laugh:

The very visible pineapple in a palm tree is slightly odd unless there's a story there I'm missing, but otherwise it's a nice tight build with good motion and some nice posing, especially those surprised Aurelians.

59 minutes ago, deraven said:

Very nice.  They shouldn't have brought sword to a cannon fight! :laugh:

it's a nice tight build with good motion and some nice posing, especially those surprised Aurelians.

Thanks!

59 minutes ago, deraven said:

The very visible pineapple in a palm tree is slightly odd unless there's a story there I'm missing

Thanks for pointing that out! I meant to add a reference to the tree-growing prickly canpear in the story earlier but it slipped my mind. Added now! "As they slowly inched closer to the edge of the jungle, Captain Hunter had the 33rd deploy a 12-pounder to the side of the path. A prickly canpear fell from the tree canopy overhead, causing the soldiers to momentarily freeze in their tracks. Finally in position, the troops crouched low, ready to spring into action once their presence was known."

Edited by evancelt

Nice battle scene! I like the designs for the muzzle blast and the well. The vegetation looks good too. Even though I'm a sea rat, my inner Anglophile can't help but root for Corrington!

13 hours ago, deraven said:

The very visible pineapple in a palm tree is slightly odd unless there's a story there I'm missing, 

Jungle on this island is quite overflowing and tend to spread out very strangely... :pir-laugh:

12 hours ago, evancelt said:

Thanks!

Thanks for pointing that out! I meant to add a reference to the tree-growing prickly canpear in the story earlier but it slipped my mind. Added now! "As they slowly inched closer to the edge of the jungle, Captain Hunter had the 33rd deploy a 12-pounder to the side of the path. A prickly canpear fell from the tree canopy overhead, causing the soldiers to momentarily freeze in their tracks. Finally in position, the troops crouched low, ready to spring into action once their presence was known."

Grest scene !

I am happy to see my Ténotclaxcans with their new guns already in action. They might have some little extra help... Soon...

Great work tying all the historic build references together in this attack build, it's always great to see and I appreciate the hard work the research must have been to get the details right. Definitely one of the best uses of lime green as a landscaping colour here - the olive, bright/lime/normal green and reddish brown work really well together and I think I will borrow the combo for the MOC I am working on at the moment.

On 3/21/2021 at 6:57 PM, deraven said:

They shouldn't have brought sword to a cannon fight! :laugh:

Agreed. Although... are there three of them? All Musketeers? I think the redcoats might have a harder time of it than they anticipate. 

5 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Agreed. Although... are there three of them? All Musketeers? I think the redcoats might have a harder time of it than they anticipate. 

There are 4 musketeers here - so it loses its magical trinity? :pir-grin:

On 3/21/2021 at 2:08 PM, Fraunces said:

Very nice scene!  Love the references to older Posts

Thanks! As Ayrlego mentioned, it was pretty hard to research this island as a lot of the action there took place years ago (some images are no longer functioning!). Was helpful to have knowledgable CORs and ESLs to ask for help! Thanks guys

On 3/21/2021 at 2:17 PM, Pdaitabird said:

Nice battle scene! I like the designs for the muzzle blast and the well. The vegetation looks good too. Even though I'm a sea rat, my inner Anglophile can't help but root for Corrington!

Thanks! I saw the well recently on a castle build and thought it would fit well here. The muzzle blast was fun to put together. There is a trans-red 4L rod going into the fez piece of the field gun and then there octagonal web and ice cream pieces are on the rod

On 3/22/2021 at 2:27 AM, Faladrin said:

Grest scene !

I am happy to see my Ténotclaxcans with their new guns already in action. They might have some little extra help... Soon...

Thanks! Excited to see this extra help...soon!

6 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Great work tying all the historic build references together in this attack build, it's always great to see and I appreciate the hard work the research must have been to get the details right. Definitely one of the best uses of lime green as a landscaping colour here - the olive, bright/lime/normal green and reddish brown work really well together and I think I will borrow the combo for the MOC I am working on at the moment.

Yes, lime is scary. It makes me immediately think of the Simpsons. So to make it more subtle (less Simpsons-esque), I added the other greens and reddish-brown. I tried to keep the ground to lime, reddish-brown, bright green, olive green, and dark tan. Normal green only entered in as vegetation to keep the ground bright. Fun to use little 1x1 reddish-brown and lime tiles in the ground.

Excited to see your in-process MOC!

You did a great job with your use of lime here, and I also really like the smoke in the front of the cannon!  Great wall too - simple, but just the right amount of texture.

This is just a really cool build. I like the plates spilling off the left border and the action naturally leads the eye to the right. And I like the lime green.

19 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

You did a great job with your use of lime here, and I also really like the smoke in the front of the cannon!  Great wall too - simple, but just the right amount of texture.

11 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

This is just a really cool build. I like the plates spilling off the left border and the action naturally leads the eye to the right. And I like the lime green.

Thanks @Captain Dee & @Kai NRG!