On a rocky islet in a lake stands the Duke of Gilchester's castle...

Island Castle Concept

I've always wanted to build a castle, but I never tried because I don't have  nearly enough gray parts. But the itch to build one was still there - so I used red instead, one of the most abundant colors in my collection.

I know I can't begin to approach the amazing building techniques of castle builders on this forum, so I decided to keep it in the style of '90s sets and emphasize playability. The roof of the great hall and the upper floors of the keep are removable.

Island Castle Concept

Being so small, the interior is necessarily simple. The first floor of the keep contains a table and chair, a fireplace, and a ladder to access the upper levels.

Island Castle Concept

The second floor has the duke's quarters - another fireplace, a bed and table with a lamp, and a chamber pot (with a window to dump it onto unwanted guests!)

Island Castle Concept

The great hall has the duke's throne. Big thanks to @soccerkid6 and @LittleJohn for the chair design! In the spirit of classic sets, pulling a pin drops lowly peasants who annoy the duke into the dungeon.

Island Castle Concept

Finally, here's another overview. If I modify this into a redcoat fort, the smaller island by the pier will house a few cannons.

Island Castle Concept

Thanks for looking!

Soli Deo Gloria

Edited by Pdaitabird

You say you can't compare with other MOCers, but it sure looks to me like you can. So what if you've kept it simple? It looks great. There's plenty of SNOT techniques and they're combined well with the studs-up. I'm a fan of the little details - that brave peasant drinking on the beach while the Duke is watching on. I'm a little curious as to where those apples have come from - is that what's just been rowed in?

If I had one minor critique, the crenellations of the big tower are a little too high - that guard's going to need a step-ladder to see over the side. Enemy soldiers could creep right up on him!

26 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I'm a fan of the little details - that brave peasant drinking on the beach while the Duke is watching on.

Thank you! That's the local friar - the duke keeps him well-supplied with ale in exchange for no-questions-asked absolution!

28 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I'm a little curious as to where those apples have come from - is that what's just been rowed in?

Yes, that's the trade-off with island fortifications...hard to besiege, but all the food has to be brought in by boat.

29 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

If I had one minor critique, the crenellations of the big tower are a little too high - that guard's going to need a step-ladder to see over the side. Enemy soldiers could creep right up on him!

Good point! I think I'll raise the floor by about two plates.

Nice use of red bricks here.  Simple yet nicely done.  I like the way you did the apples.  The little flowers around give a nice splash of color.  Good looking figs too.  

1 hour ago, zoth33 said:

Nice use of red bricks here.  Simple yet nicely done.  I like the way you did the apples.  The little flowers around give a nice splash of color.  Good looking figs too.  

Thank you!

Great keep!  I like the color variation used in the brickwork.  The interiors are impressive.  If I were to leave a suggestion (which I am), I'd recommend adding some cheese slopes the landscaping, even though that would not be '90s style'.

On March 22, 2021 at 5:04 PM, jtooker said:

Great keep!  I like the color variation used in the brickwork.  The interiors are impressive.  If I were to leave a suggestion (which I am), I'd recommend adding some cheese slopes the landscaping, even though that would not be '90s style'.

Thanks! I'm already using a few modern parts, so I might as well add some cheese slope too! Unfortunately I only have a few in brown and gray and none in green.

I took @Alexandrina's suggestion and put an elevated step around the inside of the battlements. Now my defenders can step up to shoot and step back to take cover.

Red Castle Concept

I also added some light artillery to the defenses, based partly on a design by @evancelt that he shared here. Yes, we're moving Gilchester Keep into the age of gunpowder!

Red Castle Concept

13 minutes ago, evancelt said:

Looking good, @Pdaitabird! I like the SNOT edge. Is that a tarp or IKEA bag underneath? It works well for water :pir-grin:

Thanks! It's just a tarp - sometimes the best solutions are the simplest (and the cheapest)!