cehnot

[WIP] The Seven Seas Barracuda (East Indiaman Galleon)

Great looking nameplate designs! Do you have a printing house in mind?

18 minutes ago, evancelt said:

Great looking nameplate designs! Do you have a printing house in mind?

Not yet. If you have a suggestion feel free to share it. There are a few places I looked into, but I don't know the printing quality.

Wow! This is a really brilliant ship! :pir-love:

Great construction techniques for the hull!

And the stand is also a great idea.

Maybe I would make the middle mast of the ship even bigger.
The large hull makes it seem a bit small.

barracuda_race_built_b8kf9.jpg

I feel like building a ship again! :pir-classic:

24 minutes ago, Raziel-117 said:

Wow! This is a really brilliant ship! :pir-love:

Great construction techniques for the hull!

And the stand is also a great idea.

Maybe I would make the middle mast of the ship even bigger.
The large hull makes it seem a bit small.

barracuda_race_built_b8kf9.jpg

I feel like building a ship again! :pir-classic:

I devayed this for a while, but ultimately I am trying to keep it to the same proportions as the galleon reference I am using. This isn't much of a difference than the Black Pearl proportions either. I think the sails and rigging will help. Right now it feels naked for sure. I

Once I build it I'll adjust it as needed. It's tough to make final decisions without seeing the sails on it. 

1 hour ago, PxChris said:

This is a really beautiful MOC!

thank you. 

2 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

That's a lovely galleon! The base and nameplate designs look good too. :thumbup:

I appreciate the comment. Pirates were my first love in LEGO, so I really spent way too much time designing this. 

6 hours ago, evancelt said:

@Brickwolf recommended this place to me: https://steindrucker.com/

that is one I forgot about. Thanks. 

Parts are slowly arriving. I still need to place a few more orders, but this is expensive. I placed an order on bricks and pieces because they had some of the newer parts I needed. Looking forward to getting all my orders by June. Started to swap out colors and make several modifications to the ship because of cost.

Changed my smaller cannons because I wanted them to have dark pearl gray parts instead of all Dark Bluish Gray. At least I'll have the option for both designs.

The stand will be built first since that only took 3 different orders. 

I didn't realize the 2x2 curved tile isn't available in reddish brown yet. I may substitute the doors for black until that part is available in the color I want. 

I need to buy string or cord. Anybody know where I can find several different sizes that look similar to the official brand options. 

I am also building my pirate army. I have a bunch of stuff in a wanted list. I would like to have a crew of 50 or more.

My wife now knows I placed a bunch of LEGO orders for this as she handed me the mail. Waiting for a bricklink vendor to ship my last order so I can build the display stand. 4 other bricklink orders in route to the house and 3 huge Bricks and Pieces orders I placed while securing several newer parts from the latest 2021 models. Those will probably take forever. I ordered a bunch of the reddish brown, black, and other rare parts on LEGO replacement program when I noticed most of them were the same price as the vendors scattered on bricklink. I also picked up extra green plant parts, black falcon torsos, legs, armor and horses from the blacksmiths set because those were my second favorite collections growing up. 
So far I have 30 additional crew members enlisted aboard. Waiting for more parts to make up the last 20 crew members. I may need to take a few photos of the crew building the display stand. 

I still need to get the custom nameplate created, buy a ton of string from a craft store, and continue buying random torsos, legs, and heads from bricklink to build my crew.

Hi Cehnot
Well done. Simply put, detail level and hull design is as good as it gets.

I have a very particular request    -       any update on hammocks?      I was thinking the exact same for my ship S/Y Brune Kritte and wondered if you have any neat ideas.
I would think a pure brick hammock is impossible, but maybe there are options to make it out of some lego netting of sorts?

Yannis

Wow what a great galleon, you know what I love is about lego is that it has always a level of abstracting the original which spices up my imagination. So when you see a lego pirate ship, like the original barracuda, you can see with the help of the imagination a perfect galleon. What you did is bringing the baracuda up to this what I expect it to look through my imagination, but now its real. Unbelieveable!

Cant say much more the the people before, keep up with the work!

Only one thing, you really want to cut the original lego parts for the shrouds?! :pir-murder:

9 hours ago, Yannis81 said:

Hi Cehnot
Well done. Simply put, detail level and hull design is as good as it gets.

I have a very particular request    -       any update on hammocks?      I was thinking the exact same for my ship S/Y Brune Kritte and wondered if you have any neat ideas.
I would think a pure brick hammock is impossible, but maybe there are options to make it out of some lego netting of sorts?

Yannis

LEGO has hammocks, but they are 10 studs long. I am going to buy a few and scan them in and recreate them on the Adobe Illustrator and shorten them to fit 7 to 8 studs. I will supply them to the Ohio laser cut custom sails guy I been in touch with and he said he will get those done on the same fabric he is using for the replacement sails. 

1 hour ago, Stoertebricker said:

Wow what a great galleon, you know what I love is about lego is that it has always a level of abstracting the original which spices up my imagination. So when you see a lego pirate ship, like the original barracuda, you can see with the help of the imagination a perfect galleon. What you did is bringing the baracuda up to this what I expect it to look through my imagination, but now its real. Unbelieveable!

Cant say much more the the people before, keep up with the work!

Only one thing, you really want to cut the original lego parts for the shrouds?! :pir-murder:

Shrouds, you.mean the jib sails or other square sails? I am still looking at my options. I have a laser cut company who makes replacement sails and I can provide the custom shapes I need cut and printed as an option. I will make sail decisions after the ship is made and I do moc paper sails to see what sizes look right. I may need to do a full set of custom sails. Right now the masts are built with the set sails in mind and custom jib and mizzen mast sails. 

On 3/20/2021 at 8:06 PM, cehnot said:

Barracuda_race_built_galleon_11_02.jpg

My proposal makes use of the current parts with custom cut to either make them shorter or narrower. I have a bunch of rigging from a eBay haul of random pirate parts. These are the only parts I will modify. 

I refer to this sentence from the original post about modified parts. I think these parts look great but still I never would cut parts to solve a lego-construction-problem. Unfortunately I did not came up with a better solution so I use ropes instead. In my understanding: shrouds are the ropes which connect the masts to the hull due to stability, you have used the special brown "ladder" pieces for that and modified them.

16 hours ago, Stoertebricker said:

I refer to this sentence from the original post about modified parts. I think these parts look great but still I never would cut parts to solve a lego-construction-problem. Unfortunately I did not came up with a better solution so I use ropes instead. In my understanding: shrouds are the ropes which connect the masts to the hull due to stability, you have used the special brown "ladder" pieces for that and modified them.

I am not 100 percent committed as of yet. I cut the rigging in the parts designer and like the results. Obviously, I wish LEGO did not center the rigging pieces, but I prefer the way it looks now. The use of rope may be decided once I start that process. I designed the ship to accommodate both ideas with little changes. 

Waiting on my orders from LEGO. All other orders arrived. I can begin ordering my expanded crew pieces. Though I found some parts in my previous orders I have a bunch of torsos and heads from town, castle, etc that work quite well when you mix and match parts. I also want some of these characters to have the molded beards and I forgot to order these, mustaches, and hoods or wraps that surround the neck. I found quite a bit of the prisoner torsos do not have numbers printed on the stripes so those will work well with the theme. Some of the generic castle villager torso also work. 

I now have 34 crew members assembled. A few more needing heads and hair, banderas, or hats. It's tough finding heads that feel like pirate parts from other themes. I have about 14 torsos and heads to order to complete the 50 man crew. This does not include the 8 figures from the set. 

Out of 58 crew members, I think a dozen or so will be ranked according to the following:

Captain Redbeard

Quartermaster Rummy Riggings

1st Mate/Helmsman Lady Anne Anchor

2nd Mate Darwin

3rd Mate Slinger

Sail Maker Bliss

Bo'sun Jack Dark Shark Doubloons

Gunner Master Robin Loot

Carpenter/Cooper Neal Tatooga

Master At Arms Will Cavendish

Striker Jake The Snake Blake

Helmsman Lady Anne Anchor

Powder Monkey/Cabin Boy Jimbo

Cook Flashfork

Or Cook Bart the Butcher 

Other crew

Monkey Spinoza (original set name)

Parrot Popsy (original set name)

Port and Starboard twins

Old Percy

Tattoo McGoo

Parma Sean LaFeet

Black Jack Hawkins

Gonzo Goldbar

George

Culverin

Hank the Castaway

Skip

Peter

Pirate Princess Argenta and Dagger daughters of redbeard

All names are LEGO characters from various sets. 

I didn't realize how many barrels, 1x3, 2x2, and 3x4 crates I ordered. I know the set came with some of these things, but i wanted to have a full cargo area. Ilove these dark brown wand 1x3 crates. The nueget 2x2 crates are awesome and i have 10 of those. The taller 2x2 crates work well holding weapons and I may have a dozen of these as well. I always loved the 3x4 crates. I have 2 brown and 6 reddish brown pieces. These parts are large and may not all fit in the ship. Dark brown barrells, 26 so far. I would like to have a dozen reddish brown and old brown barrels so I can distinguish gun powder, water, and beer. know I have another dozen barrels and different sized crates from LEGO coming, quick solves most of this. Lastly, those bags or sacks parts. I have a dozen or so of these to pile up. I collected a bunch of various cuts, glasses, mugs, and bottles as well. 

wWeapons are also well in stock. I have no clue how many knives, cutlasses, axes, rifles, and pistols i have, but i think it will enough for 50 crew members.

hen there are the 8 figures from the Barracuda set I need to add in when I open the bags. 

Edited by cehnot

Several updates:
The Barracuda display tiles are printing this week. I am eager to see how the UV printing comes out. 5 custom printed tan 2x4 tiles. 
The company sent a digital mockup for approval. They assured me that the blocky image will be smooth. The digital rendering does this. 
Chris-Ehnot-4-21-Tile---Mockup-1_web.jpg

As a tease I took one WIP photo. Some of the figures are missing several body parts. 

pirate_bodies.jpg
I am taking photos this week of the final crew. A total of 60 pirates. I took many liberties updating the characters outside the Barracuda Bay set. Those original 8 were not altered. Many of the characters were developed for the LEGO Universe game. I would love LEGO to include these torso pieces from the game, but I used what is available. I am waiting on 2 orders that include several hats, bandanas, legs and arms. These should be here any day now. I bought a bunch of various torsos and heads while ordering parts for the ship, but forgot to order the other parts. 

2 LEGO Bricks and Pieces orders should also be here any day now. That will finish my ship parts. 

Crew Names are finalized:
Captain Redbeard
Quartermaster Rummy Riggings
1st Mate/Helmsman Lady Anne Anchor
2nd Mate Darwin
3rd Mate Slinger
Sail Maker Bliss
Bo'sun Jack Dark Shark Doubloons
Gunner Master Robin Loot
Carpenter/Cooper Neal Tatooga
Master At Arms Will Cavendish
Striker Jake The Snake Blake
Helmsman Lady Anne Anchor
Powder Monkey/Cabin Boy Jimbo
Cook Flashfork
Port and Starboard twins
Old Percy
Parma Sean LaFeet
Black Jack Hawkins
Gonzo Goldbar
George
Culverin
Hank the Castaway
Salty The Sailor
Pirate Princess Argenta "Blade Dancer"
Pirate Princess Dagger
Bill
Niels The Scoundrel
Dick (Richard)
Cannonball Jimmy
Jolly Jack Crow
Narben Johnney (Renegade Runner helmsmen)
Lolbroek
Karren Karl the Swindler
Ben Raider
Michael Raider
Pierre LaFitte
Harry Hardtack
Drake Dagger
Scurvy Dog
Morty Mizzenmast (lookout)
Bonny Belay (rigger)
Wally Horswaggle
Burt Scurvyburp (former quartermaster)
Betty Hatchesbatten
Merciless Ned (scout)
Brawling Diable Phil
Black Hearted Kevin (cannoneer)
Robby Jibhanger (spy)
Billy Picaroon
Fernie LaBoosh
Gary Grogowitz (spy)
Enrique Tharshebloze (lookout)
Georgie Timbershivers (spy)
Swabby Bildgebarrel 
Burky Urchin
Swifty McGurk
Arthur Arbuckle
Ralphy Brig-Eyes
Squall Aye
Toby Squidbarrel

Captain Foul "The Pirate Captain" (original Barracuda Captain)

Animals:
Monkey Spinoza (original set name)
Parrot Popsy (original set name)

Very nice model!

I like the canons, are they just kept together by gravity? Or is there a connection between the conduit and the base?

These are some cool MOCs!

I was playing with the idea to build the rest of the hull for my Brig exactly the way you did, so it is nice to finally see how it could look.

12 hours ago, 5N00P1 said:

Very nice model!

I like the canons, are they just kept together by gravity? Or is there a connection between the conduit and the base?

Not yet. There are a few alternative solutions for making this happen, but the cannons won't be entirely pearl dark gray. 2 issues I would face: need to use a jumper plate, and a bar with a round stud at the end. 

7 hours ago, Wellesley said:

These are some cool MOCs!

I was playing with the idea to build the rest of the hull for my Brig exactly the way you did, so it is nice to finally see how it could look.

My only concern is the gaps under the bow parts. The old bow and stern were solid structures underneath the ship. I need to investigate how to fill those gaps when the ship is constructed. Looks great sideways, but not so much underneath. 

I will have my custom printed "Barracuda" tiles in hand the next few days. I received my last few brick and pieces orders yesterday and I will be able to take a crew picture this coming week. The new black 2x6 wedge plates are used in the ship. I originally made a custom 2x6 wedge plate for the captains cabin angled tables. I wanted them to line up to the straight table and bed in the rear. I heart rumors that LEGo was creating these and it fits perfectly with the ship cabin design. I actually need these plates in reddish brown, but for now they will at least flesh out the cabin design. I ordered extra torsos for several barracuda bay characters because I wanted to make sure I had a clean copy. I also found it cheaper to order Redbeards torso and legs than getting the peg leg and hook individually off bricklink. I needed several peg legs and hooks for other characters so this was a great opportunity to keep backup torsos. More pineapples! Another row boat for the island portion. The dark tan parts are not all used in the new ship. I only needed 2 bracket parts for the ship, but I am sure ill use others for the island. The windows and doors were not originally part of my ship design. I didin't know these were available in this color so i picked them up. I think i can incorporate one or two as compartment hatches in the floor. I purchased a bunch of rare reddish brown doors like you see in the photo for the ship. I am still not sure if I will use them for that or the island. 

b&p_01_10.jpg

The next 2 photos are not all pirate related. The white tiles are for a BBF van I am building and obviously the 20 knights and 5 horses will fill the new creator set and blacksmith set. I may be purchasing 2 or 3 creator sets to build a larger castle in the future. 

The important parts for this first image are those new brackets. I use a few of them in the ship. I originally designed a custom part to do the same thing and now they are available in black and brown. 

b&p_01_09.jpg

Cannons, dark tan, and reddish brown pieces galore!

b&p_01_08.jpg

I couldn't resist myself from purchasing a bunch of barracuda set parts from bricks and pieces. Almost all of these new parts were cheaper than bricklink and I wanted extra printed pieces such as the flags, and maps. This finishes my ship order and now i can sort everything for building the massive galleon.

b&p_01_01.jpg

I may showcase the massive crates, barrels, boxes, bags, and containers for my pirate display. I realized I have been purchasing them in every order. A galleon needs stuff to fill to hull off to the island retreat. 

Edited by cehnot

I've been waiting for this kind of update!

Did you ever solve the gaps on the SNOT compound slopes between the lower hull and prefabs? Secret until the final build?

2 hours ago, Supersick_ said:

I've been waiting for this kind of update!

Did you ever solve the gaps on the SNOT compound slopes between the lower hull and prefabs? Secret until the final build?

I solved part of the bow gaps. I am having trouble with the gap as it comes to the front 45 degree angle. I'll need to see where exactly the hull base meets the prefab parts. I am hoping some of it hides the issue in finding, but I'll investigate it when I begin the hull.

Edited by cehnot