piterx

The fastest bike (?)

17 hours ago, amorti said:

My tyres and buggy motor are here now!

I've done a quick trial in the house - just enough to terrify the dog. A few revisions came out of the trial, mostly turning the bent beam in the swingarm the other way around as that bottom corner was getting in the way of it self-righting, which has added strength and improved ground clearance; and remounting the rigid hoses and flex axles, mostly to allow more solid mounting of the "radiator cowls" which happen to hide the ugly frame bracing, and maybe add a little more strength now they're not mounted on a flex hose.

Looks like this now:

800x600.png   

stud.io file updated - I can't quite believe there are only 226 parts in this thing. Even then, two are PF plugs and if you rationalised a few pins, removed the headlight and 2L pin connectors on the forks, removed the seat pad, put the 21/22 panels on the tail one stud forward, etc... I reckon you could get right around 200.

It really is awesome to see it self-right and just shoot off! Now I just have to look forward to the weekend, and the chance to drive it outside. Cheers, @piterx :pir-huzzah1:

Hey dude thats awesome to hear!  Shoot a video of it i wanna see it :) i love your design it looks better than mine :D

Posted (edited)

I've just been playing with this. It's awesome!

Lessons from a first run outside:

I think the scrambler tyres might have been better, as the street tyres don't much want to hook up, to get it to self right.

I'm really glad I reinforced the forks, as you crash a lot and the front end would grenade without that.

Use 8L axles with stop on the front spindle and through the bottom triple clamp, use a 10L axle through the buwizz instead of a 9, and make any "outside" half bushes on it yellow ones as you'll never find grey ones.

Edit: Since you need an axle with stop the extra width is unavoidable, so crank handles are ideal, and help make the front end even more rigid as they tie that axle hole in the fork into the top triple clamp.

Fast%20moto-2.png 

Edited by amorti

Posted (edited)

Edit: Apologies for the upright filming and wind noise. Turns out mrs amorti isn't Spielberg. Still, you get the idea! 

This was normal (7.2v) but as we know, you can turn it up to 11 with ludicrous mode.

Edited by amorti

42 minutes ago, amorti said:

Edit: Apologies for the upright filming and wind noise. Turns out mrs amorti isn't Spielberg. Still, you get the idea! 

This was normal (7.2v) but as we know, you can turn it up to 11 with ludicrous mode.

I was wondering if the video was slowed down or if you just had some crazy good handling on it, turns out you are a really good pilot lol

4 minutes ago, piterx said:

I was wondering if the video was slowed down or if you just had some crazy good handling on it, turns out you are a really good pilot lol

Way back in the early days of overpowered Japanese bikes like the Z900, it was common practice to brace the neck to stop speed weaves. You could go a lot faster if the two wheels are kept in line.

7f74b912025e41e9b0b4c016e3b98ca7.jpg

I think that is all this bike needed, too. Notice in the video, the headshakes are basically gone?

Turns out buggy motors are heavier on the side with the gear train - who knew?

The bike is better balanced by putting the buwizz half a stud to the opposite side - this also helps access to the charging port.

stud.io file updated again.