Sign in to follow this  
baserolokus

Lego Ultrasonic Record Cleaner spinning device

Hi All,

Made myself a Lego edge-driven record spinning device for use with a (6ltr) Ultrasonic Cleaner machine as you can see in this Youtube vids.

version 1.0

and version 2.0

Have a project page on hackaday.io

https://hackaday.io/projects/hacker/1164055

where you can find a .LDR file and a parts list.

Hackaday posted an article;

https://hackaday.io/project/176889-lego-edgedriven-ultrasonic-cleaner-spinning-device

And Hackspace joined in;

https://hackspace.raspberrypi.org/issues/40

Anxious to see your reactions, tried to make it 100% lego but had some trouble finding the right sized wheels and such. So still sticking to the 3d-printer wheels. 

Hope to improve it with some input I hope to get here, so thanks in advance!

Regards,

Bas van Lieshout 

2 hours ago, JopieK said:

Nice job Bas, welcome to Eurobricks and enjoy your stay :)

Thanks Jopie ;-),

You think I posted this in the right group? Also reached out to Lego to see if they could bring me in touch with one of their designers but they pushed me towards Lego Ideas and I don't know if I can get the support there.

Regards,

Bas van Lieshout

It is technic isn't it. LEGO is a very conservative company so very difficult to get through to them. I think it will indeed be difficult, even if you would reach 10k votes they might still decline it as being too niche. But nevertheless it is a great idea and thanks for sharing it in this here :)

Its an intresting idea for sure, but not the kind of thing LEGO could sell. I mean who still owns these record discs nowadays, and you'd have to buy an electronic device seperately... No chance m8.

45 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

I mean who still owns these record discs nowadays, ....

Er, I'll own up to this, :pir-cry_happy: and I play them :pir-thumb:

@hollielucas I didn't mean it in a bad way, I just meant that these things are kind of outdated :wink:

I know there are still audio fanatics or people that hold onto them out of nostalgia, but I don't think there are enough to warrant a LEGO set aimed at them.

Vinyl reproduction and selling is major business (surpassed CD sales last year), It's not really audiophiles, but more collectors, new and young that drives the market

https://pitchfork.com/news/vinyl-record-sales-increased-almost-30-in-2020-riaa-says/

However, as you said, it's not an idea sutiable for TLG. And it can be debated that it's not a particular good way to treat vinyls anyway :pir-bawling:

Cheers,

Ole

13 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

@hollielucas I didn't mean it in a bad way, I just meant that these things are kind of outdated :wink:

I know there are still audio fanatics or people that hold onto them out of nostalgia, but I don't think there are enough to warrant a LEGO set aimed at them.

LEGO is totally outdated. You can build much faster and complicated devices/vehicles with anything but LEGO. The parts are out there, the 3D machines as well

Edited by 1974

Not my idea to get this machine officially build by Lego, the other way! I need you guys to finetune my design, what I've build is a cummulation of parts I had lying around. Some guys reached out to me to ask if I could make a proper 3d model in Lego Digital Designer together with a complete parts list and perhaps a manual. Guy who owns a record store wants to build a version which fits a bigger tank and can simultaneously wash 8 records at once. He thought it would be cool to see if it could be possible to make a DIY kit with cheap parts from china. And I know shit about engineering and electricity, love Lego for prototyping and maybe you can take a look and see possible improvements right away!

Regards,

Bas van Lieshout

And btw there are many many peeps who buy and collect vinyl. Also loads of people who 3d-printed something similar and are selling it for insane prices, think >€300. And Lego outdated? Hell no, within the coming years I predict a big DIY movement who will use Lego to hack life where possible. Buying new is going to be outdated.....

Any1? Can you at least point me to a Lego community/forum which is willing to take this build to the next level!? I have no intentions to get this build officially endorsed by Lego, just looking for some experienced (technic) Lego builders who are willing to help a Lego newbie build this machine and finetune some of it's aspects. I hope a lot of Vinyl lovers will want to build this for themselves....

Regards,

Bas van Lieshout

Hi and welcome.  As the designer and a user of the machine, you are probably one of the best placed to decide what the needs are.  If you can be more specific about what you want to achieve when you " finetune some of it's aspects ", then I expect people here can try to help you.