Dr Snotson

DB BR 50 with Kabinentender

Hi there!

Over several years since the rise from my dark age I`ve been a silent reader of this thread. Most of you guys already know my stuff from flickr (Simon Jakobi | Flickr). I focus on german engines from epoche III.

Lately I added a small part to a great article by Enrico Lussi of at brickmodelrailroader.com (Baureihe 01 and Baureihe 01.10, the pacific’s of the Deutsche Reichsbahn made in LEGO | Brick Model Railroader)  and noticed that my english is not in that bad kind of wrotten state as I feared.

The first of my latest MOCs I want to share with you is my approach to the german Baureihe 50 - a very common sight on german rails in those days. I focused on the pistons, cabin and boogies of the tender. The engine is equiped with two PF train motors underneath the tender and PF light units. It is controlled via PF IR receiver. The rods were supplied by bricks-on-rails.de. Decals where purchased over at modellbahndecals.de.

Currently I´am working on a second version with an alternative concept of motorization. I really would like to power the main axles of the engine by two PF L-motors hidden inside the boiler.

I hope you all can see the photos. Let´s give it a try! 

50988684606_961d39870f_c.jpgDB BR 50 Kabinentender Simon Jakobi by Simon Jakobi, auf Flickr

50987977983_89ab9f409e_c.jpgDB BR 50 Kabinentender Simon Jakobi by Simon Jakobi, auf Flickr

50987977658_53eb5e6954_c.jpgDB BR 50 Kabinentender Simon Jakobi by Simon Jakobi, auf Flickr

50988683866_fe3dc11fb1_c.jpgDB BR 50 Kabinentender Simon Jakobi by Simon Jakobi, auf Flickr

50988683646_ac120ecb4a_c.jpgDB BR 50 Kabinentender Simon Jakobi by Simon Jakobi, auf Flickr

50987976998_45319de296_c.jpgDB BR 50 Kabinentender Simon Jakobi by Simon Jakobi, auf Flickr

50988788802_e762a3a126_c.jpgDB BR 50 Kabinentender Simon Jakobi by Simon Jakobi, auf Flickr

50988683036_0b94e92fc6_c.jpgDB BR 50 Kabinentender Simon Jakobi by Simon Jakobi, auf Flickr

50988788427_850dfd205d_c.jpgDB BR 50 Kabinentender Simon Jakobi by Simon Jakobi, auf Flickr

Edited by Dr Snotson

This looks great, especially the details around the boiler piping and the SNOT techniques used in the tender. Nice work!

Very nice! The '50 with cab-tender has long been on my to-do list. I'll get around to it...

How do the Bricks-on-rails rods compare with the Trained bricks rods?

Are the cabin windows the original printed 1x2x2 bricks or custom-made?

Looks incredible!  A lot of nice details throughout, but one little item that jumps out at me is how well those modified 1x1 bricks-with-bar work on the back there when placed sideways.  Great!  :classic:

Serious thought and design work went into making this masterpiece. Excellent job. The details are spot on (except that pesky lighting wire). Can't wait to see what rolling stock you build to connect to it.

22 hours ago, Duq said:

Very nice! The '50 with cab-tender has long been on my to-do list. I'll get around to it...

How do the Bricks-on-rails rods compare with the Trained bricks rods?

Are the cabin windows the original printed 1x2x2 bricks or custom-made?

Thx!

To be honest, I never had stuff from Trained bricks in my own hands. The rods from bricks-on-rails.de are precise and strong. I tested them on my V60 and BR 81 before. I ordered a bunch of different wheels several days ago and I`am very curious about the final product.

The cabin windows are orginal printed 1x2x2 bricks.

Thank you all for the warm welcome on EB!

I thoroughly enjoy seeing your well-engineered and good looking builds 👍 

This is beautiful. I could stare at it for hours :drool: Thank you for the highly aesthetic experience.

Btw, I really love those tiny stickers!

I am just getting into the hobby. But coming up to speed rapidly.  I discovered your work just the other day.  It is absolutely breathtaking in detail and experience with the subject matter. 

Ron 

I am just getting into the hobby. But coming up to speed rapidly.  I discovered your work just the other day.  Really nice work.

51178252106_d847f46b18_c.jpgDB BR 50 Kabinentender 2nd version Simon Jakobi by Simon Jakobi, auf Flickr

Now two geared-down PF-L-motor-hearts are bumping well hidden inside the boiler. Improved cable routing too. From the beginning I wanted the main axles to be powered. With the 1st version I played it safe and put two PF-train motors underneath the tender. Now that I went all in with the motorization of the engine I could get rid of the PF-train motors. The result is a smaller outline of the boogies of the tender.

51178252021_7d9fc84a46_c.jpgDB BR 50 Kabinentender 2nd version Simon Jakobi by Simon Jakobi, auf Flickr

Edited by Dr Snotson

Hi Simon,

any chance that the building instructions for the 2nd version will be available on Bricks on Rails?

best regards,

Ludo