thecrea1or

Help cutting plastic tubing without noticeable damage

I need to cut some tubing for a project but I don't want to damage the ends of the hose and would like to have it appear as new as possible after bring cut. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Use a tube cutter like the ones used in cutting PTFE tubing for 3D printers.  Or use very sharp knife or razor blade if you have a steady hand.

13 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Use a tube cutter like the ones used in cutting PTFE tubing for 3D printers.  Or use very sharp knife or razor blade if you have a steady hand.

Thank you for the suggestion! I just ordered one!

I find a regular craft knife is fine. However, don't chop. Locate where you want to cut, put it on a cutting surface and roll the tube using the blade. This will score the surface all around. Keep going and you will cut through without any crush type marks. Although even if you do cut through hard downwards and you get a slight deformation, a quick blast from a hairdryer soon has it circular again.

For small tubing I find a really sharp XActo knife is fine as @MAB advised (above)

For larger, tougher materials, I favor ratcheting anvil shears.  They can apply smooth, even pressure while holding the workpiece securely against the anvil.  Apply a little pressure, spin the tool around the workpiece to score it, then pump the handle until you're through.  Note: A sharp blade is really key; I've got a pair of shears that will go though rubber, vinyl, PEX, and even 1/2 inch PVC conduit with just a few pumps of the handles and the end cuts are always very clean compared to cuts made with saws, knives, or by-pass shears.