Sign in to follow this  
Keymonus

[OL-FB] Smoked meat for the Fort

Fort Arltrees, El Oleonda, March 621

After the end of the war between Carno and the Lotii Empire, the small outpost of Fort Arltrees experienced an unexpected phase of economic growth. The soldiers were followed by hunters and adventurers, and then by merchants and colonists. So far from the rest of the civilized world, the settlement had to rely on its own forces for everything, from building materials to food supplies. 

Therefore, a little smokehouse was built on the outskirts of the city. Smoked meat becomes hard as wood and loses most of its taste, but lasts for long and doesn't rot: if fresh food is not available, and you want to be relatively sure not to die of food poisoning, smoked meat is one of the few things you can rely on!

Alone or in small groups, accompanied by their large dogs, the boucaniers -as Oleander hunters of the New World are often called- leave Fort Arltrees with their long muskets, hunting mainly for feral pigs and cattle. It is often said that these hunters can hit targets up to 300 metres far, about three times the range of a common infantry musket... true or false, thee boucaniers are for sure excellent marksmen, a skill they also demonstrated in the occasional skirmishes with bands of Lotii deserters.

The boucaniers take their name from the boucan, a wooden frame over which meat is slowly roasted and smoked: exactly as hammocks and pirogues, boucans were seen during the earliest contacts with the Atwi natives and copied by the first colonists.

As an alternative, meat is smoked for a couple of days in a small stone builfing

So near to the sea, fish represents an obvious alternative to meat. Caught along the coast, in one of the several rivers or in the ancient artificial canals surrounding Fort Arltrees, fish are usually salted and dried under the tropical sun on wooden racks.

This smokehouse would just be a little business in a larger settlement, but represents a fundamental step for the development of Fort Arltrees. It may be seem trivial, but having a reliable source of preserved food will allow longer explorations of the interior and of the nearby sea: if new lands will be discovered, or if rich mining fields will be discovered in the interior, it will be also thanks to boucaniers' smoked meat.

Spoiler

Overview of the build:

To be licensed as a small factory  (32x32 footprint, but smaller built area).

Edited by Keymonus

Good idea and great execution. The little cottage is nice,. as are the various implements for the trade. I enjoyed the description too. I'd definitely say this qualifies for a medium property, btw.

That looks fantastic. I get hungry for grilled food.:moar: The smokehouse is very interesting, it's the first time I've seen one.

An excellent build and very interesting exposition that goes with it. I like how you did the smoke cabin, with actual meat inside.

5 hours ago, Khorne said:

I like how you did the smoke cabin, with actual meat inside.

And it looks like a smoked version of the meat he's holding!

A great idea for a factory and well executed. I will probably borrow the idea of a smoke house at some stage!  I like the nod to the historical French frontiersmen of North America. I agree with Bregir - no issues with this being a medium factory. It is the total footprint that counts (as long as it's not a tiny square on a giant plain plate - which this most definitely isn't!)

Excellent build @Keymonus. I especially like the grill and all the hanging meat, it's presented quite well.

I also saw this build, and @Ross Fisher's build at the same time, and I'm pleasantly surprised they're NOT related. :pir-laugh:

4 hours ago, Mesabi said:

I also saw this build, and @Ross Fisher's build at the same time, and I'm pleasantly surprised they're NOT related:pir-laugh:

What sort of heathen would eat meat that- oh! Yeahhhhhh. We don't really do that. Our rats are frequently killed with poison, so they're not great for digestion. 

Thank you all guys! The historical inspirations were actually Caribbean buccaneers and coureurs des bois, the French trappers.

On 3/16/2021 at 12:03 AM, Ross Fisher said:

And it looks like a smoked version of the meat he's holding!

This was exactly what I was trying to show! :pir-classic:

On 3/16/2021 at 3:24 PM, evancelt said:

Awesome build, @Keymonus! I love the building textures and the roofline created by the long black tiles.

pir-facebook.png FACEBOOKED!

Thank you! I’m honoured of being on the FB page too!

On 3/17/2021 at 5:01 AM, Mesabi said:

Excellent build @Keymonus. I especially like the grill and all the hanging meat, it's presented quite well.

I also saw this build, and @Ross Fisher's build at the same time, and I'm pleasantly surprised they're NOT related. :pir-laugh:

:pir_laugh2: :pir_laugh2: :pir_laugh2: Thank you! I frankly hope that this comment didn’t give anyone weird ideas ( @TomSkippy, I’m talking with you :pir_tong2:)!

First, I really appreciate the historical tie-in with this build. And the build itself turned out very well. The variety of meats is great, especially the turkey legs as smoked steak pieces.

On 3/20/2021 at 4:50 PM, Keymonus said:

Thank you all guys! The historical inspirations were actually Caribbean buccaneers and coureurs des bois, the French trappers.

This was exactly what I was trying to show! :pir-classic:

Thank you! I’m honoured of being on the FB page too!

:pir_laugh2: :pir_laugh2: :pir_laugh2: Thank you! I frankly hope that this comment didn’t give anyone weird ideas ( @TomSkippy, I’m talking with you :pir_tong2:)!

no judgment here (no promises either :pir_tong2:! The smoke covers up the taste!