n1majneb

[R4-Ziost-CE] Exploring the abandoned watchtower

*Your entry has earned 7 XP*

Through the barren wilderness of Ziost, three small figures cross the plateau aiming for the monolith ahead of them.
As they get closer, they finally see the abandoned tower cut into the rock face, erupting from its summit.

Ziost 1_2

Tasked by Clan Eldar, now the planet was under its protection, to chart the landscape lost to history the three explorers gathered around the rent in the rock face.
What was once a door had been torn open and exposed in the ravages of time. Light in hand they begin their investigation and enter.

Ziost 2

They slowly make their way through the tower and reach the top.
To them, it looked like nothing more than an old garrison and their droid confirmed as much to them.

However, they noted the watchpoint was recently stripped of equipment.

Ziost 3

From this high he could make out little more, "Hand me those macrobinoculars", he asked his droid.
"At once, Sir" Finishing the climb, the 3PO unit stopped short "Oh my, there's someone coming"

Ziost 4

Footsteps, echoed from the stairwell...

Spoiler

I'd wanted to head back to Ziost and it felt like as good a time as any. My sig fig is an explorer so I wanted to nod to more of an exploration themed story.
It also allowed me time to practice my rock detailing. 

A simple watchtower with the top being the only habitable area of it.

Ziost build 4

Additional images:
Basic interior (aware the roof/wall panel had dropped in this image).

Ziost build 1

Roof and view point details (long range antennae and viewport grill still intact!)

Ziost build 2

The long decayed door and wall detail

Ziost build 3

Edited by goatman461

I really like the rock work done here, the dark grey and the white go well. nice little story as well. wish I had all those white teeth pieces

I love the transition between the rock and the tower, even though it's still gray it's obvious where one ends and the other begins. The antennae on top is clever NPU, and I love the detailing on the roof. The close-ups really add some personal story telling. The staircase on the interior is above and beyond. 

Is it okay with you if I offer some constructive feedback on the rockwork? I think adding some plates in between the slopes, to break up the "slope-stacked-on-slope" helps a surface look natural and less "Lego-ey". IMO.(SNOT does too, love the border)

Anyway! Great stuff!

On 3/20/2021 at 12:07 PM, RocketBoy said:

I love the transition between the rock and the tower, even though it's still gray it's obvious where one ends and the other begins. The antennae on top is clever NPU, and I love the detailing on the roof. The close-ups really add some personal story telling. The staircase on the interior is above and beyond. 

Is it okay with you if I offer some constructive feedback on the rockwork? I think adding some plates in between the slopes, to break up the "slope-stacked-on-slope" helps a surface look natural and less "Lego-ey". IMO.(SNOT does too, love the border)

Anyway! Great stuff!

CC is always helpful, you're right about the plates (and a reason i tried to avoid two slopes of the same together), i'm a little limited in DBG owing to a concurrent non faction big build taking all my dbg parts. But i was pleased with how it initially looks but i think a little more SNOT and plates would have allowed a little more design in the rock here.
I'm pleased with the border too, i liked how it looks like the build has slipped beyond its initial footprint

You've captured the snowy terrain quite well. Your rockwork is nice too. For future builds I'd experiment with SNOT rock work.

8 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

You've captured the snowy terrain quite well. Your rockwork is nice too. For future builds I'd experiment with SNOT rock work.

Thanks, I had built this with some SNOT work but it looked a little distracting and blended too much into the building (but that is more how i built it over the technique per se)
Next time I build rocky outcrops it'll be SNOT and plates to make it more varying

A nice build with some good rock work. As others have said, the next step is definitely integrating more SNOT landscaping. Great Work!