Sign in to follow this  
brickostan

Powered Up Metro train with tunnel

G'day

I know a lot of people has made metro/subway/underground/tube trains - but I just want to show my take of it.

I was inspired by the way the deep tube lines in London and the subway in Glasgow has tunnels that’s just slightly bigger than the trains running in them. So, I’ve tried to mimic that in the way I designed my Lego metro.

And the train is equipped with a Powered Up colour sensor 88007 – so it’s able to run back and forth between the stations on my metro line.

2021-03-10-15-45-43-iphone-se2-thor-IMG-

2021-03-11-11-48-30-iphone-se2-thor-IMG-

I agree with @Murdoch17!  As I live very close to London and know the deep tube lines well, the tightness inside the tunnels is very suitable!  To me the trains of the London Underground look the best out of all subway trains, but that's my opinion as a Londoner.....

What I actually like most is the bottom of the tunnel wall where you have the hollow arches mounted upside-down.  The ribbing effect somewhat resembles the iron/steel liners used in many deep-bore tunnels.  Was this an intentional detail?

Really nice @brickostan, works very well and looks quite nice, though the cars are maybe a little too wide for my taste.

On 3/13/2021 at 2:30 PM, Murdoch17 said:

Love these tiny subway cars! ...also, the rock monster is a nice touch.

Thanks 😁

22 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

I agree with @Murdoch17!  As I live very close to London and know the deep tube lines well, the tightness inside the tunnels is very suitable!  To me the trains of the London Underground look the best out of all subway trains, but that's my opinion as a Londoner.....

Thanks. Yeah, the way the trains are designed for the tunnels in London still fascinates me

22 hours ago, UltraViolet said:

What I actually like most is the bottom of the tunnel wall where you have the hollow arches mounted upside-down.  The ribbing effect somewhat resembles the iron/steel liners used in many deep-bore tunnels.  Was this an intentional detail?

At first it wasn't intentional. I played around with the different arch pieces I had - and only if I used 13965 upside down I could get it close enough to the track to look good. But I also like the ripple effect myself

13965.png

21 hours ago, caiman0637 said:

Nice! More like this, please!

Glad you like it 😁

20 hours ago, JopieK said:

Really nice @brickostan, works very well and looks quite nice, though the cars are maybe a little too wide for my taste.

Thanks. The cars a approximately the same width as they are height. It was made this way to fill most of the tunnel. If I made it more narrow it left too big of a gap between the train and the tunnel.

15 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Nice work. Does the sensor work better with flex track?  :classic:

Thanks. It depends on which colour you have under the tracks. The flextracks "hides" what's underneath. But it wasn't the primary reason I used flextrack - it was because it had a lot of them that I didn't use - and I only a few normal straight tracks. And I thought that the flextrack wouldn't look too bad in an underground railway.

5 hours ago, brickostan said:

Thanks. The cars a approximately the same width as they are height. It was made this way to fill most of the tunnel. If I made it more narrow it left too big of a gap between the train and the tunnel.

You have a point there :) Also otherwise it would be impossible to place the driver at that position so I can understand why you made this choice.

On 3/13/2021 at 5:15 PM, JopieK said:

Commuter rail has to be eight studs wide for minifigures, otherwise it's either luxury travel, or else inhumane pack-em-in

10 hours ago, JopieK said:

You have a point there :) Also otherwise it would be impossible to place the driver at that position so I can understand why you made this choice.

😁

9 hours ago, Tube Map Central said:

Commuter rail has to be eight studs wide for minifigures, otherwise it's either luxury travel, or else inhumane pack-em-in

Isn't commuter rail in rush hour not always "inhumane pack-em-in". I come to think of video clips from Japan showing staff on the platform hired to push people in to the trains so the doors can close.

2 minutes ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

It really reminds me of the old pneumatic tube subways.

QH6bf7l.jpg

It looks like something taken out of some fictional steampunk universe.

Did these things ever run anywhere or was it just some crazy ideas that never really worked in reality?

5 minutes ago, brickostan said:

It looks like something taken out of some fictional steampunk universe.

Did these things ever run anywhere or was it just some crazy ideas that never really worked in reality?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_Pneumatic_Transit

Sort of.

It worked, but it probably never was viable as a form of mass transit. 

It seems to be somewhat like the hyperloop but then a little different (see the usage of the mail system referenced on that same wikipedia page). I know hospitals still use pneumatic tubes for sending tests to the lab and medication to wards.

29 minutes ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_Pneumatic_Transit

Sort of.

It worked, but it probably never was viable as a form of mass transit. 

Hmmm... a man with a vision about an underground railway - that ended up becoming something like a carnival ride.

I can't stop wondering why someone would think that blowing air into a tunnel would be the best way to get a train to move.

Did he think that if it worked on a small postal tubes, then it would also be a good solution on a big trains that weigh 1000 of times more?

One would think the energy loss is massive with a pneumatic solution - even a cable car would have been a better solution.

It's fun with all these crazy engineering ideas from that occurred between 1800 and 1900.

4 minutes ago, JopieK said:

It seems to be somewhat like the hyperloop but then a little different (see the usage of the mail system referenced on that same wikipedia page). I know hospitals still use pneumatic tubes for sending tests to the lab and medication to wards.

If it works on something the weight of a rat - why shouldn't it work on something the weight of 10 elephants? 😂

But the hyperloop is in a vacuum - so the principles are quite different.

13 minutes ago, JopieK said:

The problem - not to veer completely off topic - is that the Hyperloop is an inherently unstable system, requiring a depressurized state to work. I'm pretty sure that the Beach railroad just pushed and pulled with the air currents generated from its steam plant. 

I'm not a fan of Musk, and don't believe this idea of his will ever work. Were the tubes in any way compromised, the result would be a total, near-instantaneous decompression of the entire network, likely killing or seriously injuring everyone in it. Pair this with his ambition to build it within a significantly active seismic zone and... yeah. I think there's a reason he's sort of strategically shifted attention to SpaceX in the last few years.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

8 minutes ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

The problem - not to veer completely off topic - is that the Hyperloop is an inherently unstable system, requiring a depressurized state to work. I'm pretty sure that the Beach railroad just pushed and pulled with the air currents generated from its steam plant. 

I'm not a fan of Musk, and don't believe this idea of his will ever work. Were the tubes in any way compromised, the result would be a total, near-instantaneous decompression of the entire network, likely killing or seriously injuring everyone in it. Pair this with his ambition to build it within a significantly active seismic zone and... yeah. I think there's a reason he's sort of strategically shifted attention to SpaceX in the last few years.

Ha ha ha. Yeah, I think you are right about Hyperloop.

But they wouldn't need to spend money on rescue vehicles/solutions - there would be no injured - everyone would probably die instantly in case of an accident 😜

17 minutes ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

I'm pretty sure that the Beach railroad just pushed and pulled with the air currents generated from its steam plant.

Sounds hot and steamy

Really nice video. Well I don't know about Musk but some Dutch Tech universities also believe in the hyperloop...Maybe the cars will be crashed like that indeed ;)

Good work in making everything fit. The dimensions allow for decent internal space in the cars, while the station has the right amount of detail. Mind the gap.

17 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Good work in making everything fit. The dimensions allow for decent internal space in the cars, while the station has the right amount of detail. Mind the gap.

Thanks. Yeah, mind the gap - I love those speaker calls when visiting London stations with a curved track.