maxxev

[LEGO Ideas] Medieval Inn

So this is my first ever creation in Studio.io only possible due to lockdown and my kids isolating with my parents to let me carry on working leaving me with a lot of evenings free :(.

So I put that frustration into something creative and came out with this: https://ideas.lego.com/s/p:6aa026811480406bb23ff3ce22bb9e58?s=m

The Inn is frankly enormous consisting of the limit of 3k parts, I started with trying to build a farm house and basically ended up just spiralling down a rabbit hole of ideas until I ended up with this.
I'm still working on it here and there, the front and back of the roof ends have changed since it was submitted and I clawed back some parts to put a few more details inside the top floors.
I've also been buying parts to build as much as I can of it myself.

Anyway I hope you like it, also open to discussions on thoughts for improvements or criticism (though please keep it constructive :))

50994387627_1143a2e80b_c.jpgTavern image 1 (Large) by maxxev, on Flickr

50993576188_3dbf184133_c.jpgTavern image 11 (Large) by maxxev, on Flickr

50994387777_7f85f27991_c.jpgTavern image 2 by maxxev, on Flickr

50993575963_135204343b_c.jpgTavern image 9 (Large) by maxxev, on Flickr

50994275551_410c3a7e82_c.jpgTavern image 4 (Large) by maxxev, on Flickr

50993575588_7128c2e122_c.jpgTavern image 5 (Large) by maxxev, on Flickr

50994275911_d1c8eeeddd_c.jpgTavern image 7 by maxxev, on Flickr

50993575873_34ab696dc0_c.jpgTavern image 8 (Large) by maxxev, on Flickr

50993576318_69939ab5db_c.jpgTavern image-1st floor by maxxev, on Flickr

50993575713_435bf018e0_c.jpgTavern image 6 (Large) by maxxev, on Flickr

50994388602_9b82190580_c.jpgTavern image 10 by maxxev, on Flickr

This is where I am so far IRL

51030400827_7f4552e13d_c.jpg20210310_204329 by maxxev, on Flickr

Edited by maxxev

Is it possible you didn't put the pictures on public in Flickr? The site asks for a login when I click on either picture.

9 minutes ago, GeoBrick said:

Is it possible you didn't put the pictures on public in Flickr? The site asks for a login when I click on either picture.

First time using Flickr too.... took me a little while but I believe I've made them public now! :)

This looks great.  Nice use of the big sloped panel piece for the roof, really stands out.  Very nice interiors.  

Update as I've nearly finished the 2nd storey... well the front anyway, missing lots of bits from the chimney presently!. Still waiting for deliveries from Bricklink and Lego.
Having to use some proxies where Lego don't make the pieces in Red-brown here and there.

51050405581_d4a756b596_c.jpg20210318_075147 by maxxev, on Flickr
51049679018_b45a2eef95_c.jpg20210318_075209 by maxxev, on Flickr

Nice parts use on the roof. I like the ramps there. The overall feel is good and fitting for such a fine establishment.

On 3/19/2021 at 11:26 AM, Sarophas said:

Awesome! Supported :wink:

On 3/19/2021 at 12:23 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Nice parts use on the roof. I like the ramps there. The overall feel is good and fitting for such a fine establishment.

Thanks, guys :)

My tavern got some tweaks, bit of redecoration here and there and the back wall got re-worked. New pictures have been submitted to Lego so should be up soon. Stallion knights got revised to make the heraldry a bit bigger and I changed it's orientation, mostly because when I printed out some to use as decals they weren't big enough lol. Oh and I changed it to red-brown from dark brown. Would appreciate the support if anyone hasn't already and likes the design - thank you. https://ideas.lego.com/s/p:6aa026811480406bb23ff3ce22bb9e58?s=m

51010664625_8df9cd9f04_c.jpgTavern image PR by maxxev, on Flickr

51079942057_f7c64201ae_c.jpgTavern_finished_COMPLETE v2_4 by maxxev, on Flickr

51010664565_39bf45e71d_c.jpgTavern_Finished_take apart for build_6 by maxxev, on Flickr

51079942202_22d17fe4a6_c.jpgTavern image 2 by maxxev, on Flickr

51079942162_ce8de7fc1c_c.jpgTavern image 3 by maxxev, on Flickr

51010664720_a12a1e95fc_c.jpgTavern Folk by maxxev, on Flickr

Looks great and fits perfectly with the blacksmith! Just imagine a series of castle/medieval buildings similar to the creator ones for city. This would be the perfect scale/level of detail :classic: 

On 4/4/2021 at 6:18 PM, maxxev said:

Build progress update, lots of bricks missing yet.

Good stuff, didn't realize how big it was til that comparison! 

Have you tried different (rendered ofc) colors for the roof? Maybe blue or red, since it's a lot of browns and muted colors right now

I think the roof is the downside.  It is almost two decades since those parts were produced and without them the build is completely changed.

And the 1x4 hinge tiles although they don't seem to be esential to the build

One thing for sure, that roof is going to get copied by MOC'ers and currently there's only one seller who has a decent stock at ten bucks/each *huh*

What I really do not like with these modern builds is the colour of the wood beams used. Chocolate brown was very rarely used in real life, it should be black. Looks dull, but that's why the walls often where quite colourfull and not using muted tan :wink:

Not very good at checking messages!!

Yes I agree the roof slopes would be a problem getting this made commercially via Ideas, likely the roof would need to be redesigned, but it's Lego IDEAS and the blacksmith doesn't look anything like how it was submitted to lego ideas so I guess Lego are fine with making changes if they like the idea of the set...

Either way I enjoyed making it and building it (my wallet not so much!).

I have now had a go at redesigning the front as I Wasn't happy with it and this is where the inn stands now.

51725416994_42223e468f_b.jpgTavern_finished_COMPLETE v2_2 by maxxev, on Flickr

On 4/26/2021 at 8:48 AM, 1974 said:

And the 1x4 hinge tiles although they don't seem to be esential to the build

One thing for sure, that roof is going to get copied by MOC'ers and currently there's only one seller who has a decent stock at ten bucks/each *huh*

What I really do not like with these modern builds is the colour of the wood beams used. Chocolate brown was very rarely used in real life, it should be black. Looks dull, but that's why the walls often where quite colourfull and not using muted tan :wink:

The next project i'm working on will have yellow plater sections :), .wont be building that one in person though, not got the space or the money for another one on the shelf!

This is a really lovely model with some very nice parts usage for the roof. I like the half-timber details and the interior layout as well.

Unfortunately, one thing that may hold it back on Lego Ideas is that one of the key parts in its design, the old sports quarter-pipes, are long out of production. If it got to the review stage, Lego would have to determine whether there are any current or upcoming parts that could effectively replace that element of the design without alienating the supporters. More likely than not, it would end up being rejected in favor of a simpler to execute project.

36 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

This is a really lovely model with some very nice parts usage for the roof. I like the half-timber details and the interior layout as well.

Unfortunately, one thing that may hold it back on Lego Ideas is that one of the key parts in its design, the old sports quarter-pipes, are long out of production. If it got to the review stage, Lego would have to determine whether there are any current or upcoming parts that could effectively replace that element of the design without alienating the supporters. More likely than not, it would end up being rejected in favor of a simpler to execute project. 

They could potentially recolor the ramp elements from this year's LEGO City Stuntz sets as a substitute, although that might call for some changes to the scale to ensure everything still fits together properly.

Edited by Aanchir

On 12/10/2021 at 10:04 PM, Lyichir said:

Hi, yes, I pretty much agree that it is likely that if it reached review it would get dumped unless as Anachir suggests above the new stunt ramp could in some way be utilised, though I think it unlikely as it has a very different design and no technic pins which would make it very difficult to construct.

When I first started to design this I hadn't really considered things like the age of the parts it was only when I came to think about and then actually purchase parts for it that I realised how rare and old those ramps were, I still love it though, but am trying with the new projects to keep it to stuff that's still in use like using the Ghost busters Ecto one windscreen for the room on the Apothcary's cottage :). https://ideas.lego.com/s/p:423d84a1b2194eab86c47c4143c7d103. Current project i'm struggling to think of what to use as the roof without basically copying the blacksmith :(.