MaxBrix

Smooth Swithching 2 Speed Automatic Transmission

The switching mechanism uses the differential as a synchronizer and low gear. It's simple, small and efficient. The small grey gear was lightly sanded so it could slip on the axle. I think there is a red gear that would not need modification. The spring can be replaced with rubber but would require a different build.

If I understand well it's genious because this continiouness of torque amazing lego trucktrial will be pleased !

Also it's the first time I see both gears of the differential being used

Edit : damn it need friction

Edited by Bluehose

3 hours ago, MaxBrix said:

The small grey gear was lightly sanded so it could slip on the axle.

This gear in red does exactly what you want without sanding it. It's for example used in the 42009.

Nice work! This is one of the more compact, workable designs I have seen, so I'll have to try it out soon.

I really appreciate the concept you've developed.  There are virtually endless transmission designs out there, but hardly anything that can work exactly like this.  The challenge I face personally is that I tend to build small, and most practical transmissions I've seen are quite large.  This design is relatively compact.

Can any of you other Technic wizzes compact this even smaller?  The overall length is less a concern for me than width, but I'd appreciate any further space gains.  I imagine there are numerous ways to alter the frames alone in order to compress the assembly a bit more.

16 hours ago, UltraViolet said:

Can any of you other Technic wizzes compact this even smaller?  The overall length is less a concern for me than width, but I'd appreciate any further space gains.  I imagine there are numerous ways to alter the frames alone in order to compress the assembly a bit more.

This one is the smallest. The down side is that the low gear is slightly less efficient. The upside is that it acts like a CVT by mixing two gear ratios.

On 3/11/2021 at 5:10 PM, UltraViolet said:

Sorry for that first reply. Although smaller that wasn't the same transmission. You want a smaller 2 speed and smooth switching transmission. I rebuilt it smaller as per your request and made a video. Here you go.

Thanks very much for that!  I'm currently waiting on some additional differentials in the mail, as well as some of those frictionless gears, so I can do more experiments.  Your design, which is strictly a two-speed transmission, will probably be best for my needs.  The CVT-type designs are intriguing more from a general technical interest standpoint than perhaps a practical one, as they seem to be power inefficient, and also likely will have durability issues.  That said, I will try out anything compact for the experience at the very least.