Jundis

[MOC] Liebherr L518 Stereo Wheel Loader

Hi guys,

I'd like to present you my MOC of Liebherr L518 wheel loader. I always wanted to make a MOC of a wheel loader, but not the biggest one possible but a rather small one in Arocs scale. The unique feature about this loader is the steering: It has articulated steering in the middle (in front of the cab) combined with normal steering at the back axle. I wanted to also keep the mechanics simple but very playable, enabling full movement of the real vehicle and maintaining a nice all around look.

The MOC has the following features:
- combined articulated and normal steering for tight turning radius (at the warning light)
- movement of front shovel with Z-kinematic
- interchangable functional front end with fork or bucket
- pendular back axle
- openable hood at the back
- fake 3 cylinder engine (sadly I didn't find a way to put a fourth one in the back...)
- Oh, and as Lego always praises: Highly detailed cabin :D

Kind regards,

Jundis

1.png

2.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

10.png

Thanks for the high praise guys! I am really glad you like it :-)

49 minutes ago, suffocation said:

This could - and should - be an official model.

There are many building techniques Lego would never do... beginning with the use of bewel gears for the transmission of the bucket movement to the connection of the ladder parts as grill on the back^^

Great job, and the colors are perfect. I like the mechanics you have added, and the front bucket/fork option is a nice feature.

It is a very nice loader, if the mechanism you have used works well I do not care if Lego do not use it, I do not like some weak points for my taste but with this scale would be very difficult to do it better. With this size a lot of functions and a ver good travel of the arm.

Thank you guys :-)

12 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

It is a very nice loader, if the mechanism you have used works well I do not care if Lego do not use it, I do not like some weak points for my taste but with this scale would be very difficult to do it better. With this size a lot of functions and a ver good travel of the arm.

The mechanisms itself work really great, even under rather heavy loads like the four wheels on the pallet. The main weakpoint is the slack in the steering and the backlash due to the direkt connection. From the beginning I wanted to make this set very playable and easy to use, therfor I did not want to use the linear actuators for the articulation like in man bigger technic loaders, as the movement (handsteered) would be way to slow.

Can you point out more weakpoints you see? I am really interested and want to improve my builds the best I can.

This is a fantastic little model. It's exactly what I want from Technic - manual control, playability not sacrificed for looks, ingenious mechanics, brick-built details... :classic: I particularly like the way that the drive train runs through the rear axle. My one (very tiny) criticism would be the control panel in the cabin - I'd like to see something less generic. But I agree that I'd love to see it as an official set - it would be a guaranteed purchase for me!

4 hours ago, Jundis said:

Thank you guys :-)

The mechanisms itself work really great, even under rather heavy loads like the four wheels on the pallet. The main weakpoint is the slack in the steering and the backlash due to the direkt connection. From the beginning I wanted to make this set very playable and easy to use, therfor I did not want to use the linear actuators for the articulation like in man bigger technic loaders, as the movement (handsteered) would be way to slow.

Can you point out more weakpoints you see? I am really interested and want to improve my builds the best I can.

I am too crazy with weak points... but like I already said before for this scale is very good, look my wheel loaders I have done a few... 

Machinery

This is fantastic, thanks for sharing. 

Side question: what are you using to produce the color coded gear diagrams? Is there a specific cad software? Thanks! 

Very nice.  

It looks like the distance between the rack and gear for the steering changes with movement of the axle.  How does that work in practice?  I assume that the axle movement is small enough that it's not a problem?

Thank you so much for the nice comments guys :-)

16 hours ago, KoolJBlack said:

Side question: what are you using to produce the color coded gear diagrams? Is there a specific cad software? Thanks!

I just use Stud.io, just use the normal CAD-model, delete all the non-mechanical parts and paint the remaining ones in the corresponding colors.

16 hours ago, pdw said:

Very nice.  

It looks like the distance between the rack and gear for the steering changes with movement of the axle.  How does that work in practice?  I assume that the axle movement is small enough that it's not a problem? 

Yeah, the rack comes a little bit closer to the gear when oscillating, but this really is neglectable as the angle of the axle is rather tiny.

21 hours ago, The Shuttlefan said:

My one (very tiny) criticism would be the control panel in the cabin - I'd like to see something less generic. But I agree that I'd love to see it as an official set - it would be a guaranteed purchase for me!

Thanks for this constructive critique! Yeah, this have been just an add-on I did nearly at the end where the cabin looks quite empty... in the real machine there is such a panel behind the joystick. Actually, I might change the layout, angle the panel in the right way and add a fire extinguisher :-)

Kabine.png

Really nice looking loader.  As it is only a hand driven gear train to both the tip and boom lift, I can understand the reasoning behind your choices of gears.  However if there was going to be a powered option, then you might have to rethink those.  But really clean lines and great use of parts.

Thanks guys :-)

1 hour ago, trekman said:

However if there was going to be a powered option, then you might have to rethink those

Totally agree here. If there would be a powered version, I'd definately use the small linear actuators :-)

Hello, Jundis. Please, show the photos of the bottom of the loader. I'm trying to do the same, but I can't see how the frame is made. I really liked your model!

Ah man, so cool :wub: Any chance of instructions or take-apart-photos? I'd love to be able to build this, and it looks like something I'd have all the parts for already

8 hours ago, Kaurik said:

Hello, Jundis. Please, show the photos of the bottom of the loader. I'm trying to do the same, but I can't see how the frame is made. I really liked your model!

Hi Kaurik, sure:

Ladder.png

6 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Ah man, so cool :wub: Any chance of instructions or take-apart-photos? I'd love to be able to build this, and it looks like something I'd have all the parts for already

Glad you like it :-) I don't plan to do instructions as I am not really good at making them... but I can send you the .io file, if you want?

4 hours ago, Jundis said:

Hi Kaurik, sure:

Glad you like it :-) I don't plan to do instructions as I am not really good at making them... but I can send you the .io file, if you want?

Sorry, I can't figure out what parts were used. I meant the photo from the bottom side.
Yes, I want to get the .io file, please - that would be the best!)
What is the way to get it?