Sign in to follow this  
arselus

[LEGO Ideas] Medieval Carpenter

Hi EB,

I've come up with a new medieval modular-style build: the Medieval Carpenter, I'm posting some renders here, as I think you'll like it. The Medieval Carpenter uses the same basic formula as my other recent project, the Medieval Butcher. It includes: the carpenter's work shed (or "shop"), the carpenter's house (built in a completely different style than the butcher's house, and inspired heavily by Rothenburg ob der Tauber), and a vignette of the carpenter working on a deer head wooden sculpture. See if you can spot some Forestmen eastereggs :) 

If you like the build, please support on LEGO Ideas

51025835081_a1d0bec2fb_b.jpgMedieval Carpenter (LEGO Ideas) by arselus, on Flickr

51025101863_56a76c862d_b.jpgMedieval Carpenter (LEGO Ideas) - House by arselus, on Flickr

51025102533_44c709e6d4_b.jpgMedieval Carpenter (LEGO Ideas) - Workshop by arselus, on Flickr

51025102303_be02fc9f0b_b.jpgMedieval Carpenter (LEGO Ideas) - Workshop Detail by arselus, on Flickr

51025834926_c24478890a_b.jpgMedieval Carpenter (LEGO Ideas) - The Carpenter - Carpenter's Son by arselus, on Flickr

51025835016_836279424b_b.jpgMedieval Carpenter (LEGO Ideas) - The Carpenter - Scarecrow by arselus, on Flickr

51025932922_81aed40f9f_b.jpgMedieval Carpenter (LEGO Ideas) - The Carpenter by arselus, on Flickr

Edited by arselus
Typos

That's a pretty neat idea.  I like the birch tree.  The house is nice, I like the window designs.  

RodT you say? Ah, that brings back memories. Visited the town a couple times back in the nineties.
I do remember a kind of carpenter museum in town.

Very nice, and also really annoying at the same time....

Scratch the carpenter's house from my current projects :P lol

17 hours ago, maxxev said:

Very nice, and also really annoying at the same time....

Scratch the carpenter's house from my current projects :P lol

Thank you! I say go for it! More medieval builds is a good thing! :)

On 3/12/2021 at 2:22 AM, GeoBrick said:

RodT you say? Ah, that brings back memories. Visited the town a couple times back in the nineties.
I do remember a kind of carpenter museum in town.

Yes it’s really a beautiful town. 

On 3/11/2021 at 7:31 PM, zoth33 said:

That's a pretty neat idea.  I like the birch tree.  The house is nice, I like the window designs.  

Thank you!

Great work. 

I am curious what parts were used to make the medieval bow saw?

Or is that a third party piece?

On 3/30/2021 at 10:05 PM, DaleDVM said:

Great work. 

I am curious what parts were used to make the medieval bow saw?

Or is that a third party piece?

It's a really old piece from fabuland if I recall.

Which only came in yellow. No chance TLG is going to bring that part back (they might make a new mould though, like the pitchfork)

Some other dubious parts in that nice MOC as well ..

However, the 6067 flag could indeed be printed again and I'd LOVE that!

Cheers,

Ole

On 3/31/2021 at 11:39 PM, 1974 said:

However, the 6067 flag could indeed be printed again and I'd LOVE that!

You noticed that huh ;) The whole point of this MOC and Ideas entry is to get that flag reprinted :)

JK, but it really would be awesome to have that. 

Thank you all for the support!! It's nearing 2k supporters now. 

You should sneak a 6074 and/or 6041 flag(s) into the MOC as well ;)

The Forestman hat is current(ish - it's a new mould) and I'd really like to get that one in red as well

Good luck!

Neat build! The elaborate brick/stone facade here is interesting, but I can't help but wonder if it'd make more sense thematically for a stonemason or sculptor. I feel like it might tell a better story if the carpenter's house were itself crafted primarily from wood, so that their career would also appear to have impacted their choice of dwelling. Obviously in real life things don't always line up that conveniently, but for a standalone set proposal, having the elements of the build relate to each other like that feels like it'd make more of an impact.

44 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Neat build! The elaborate brick/stone facade here is interesting, but I can't help but wonder if it'd make more sense thematically for a stonemason or sculptor. I feel like it might tell a better story if the carpenter's house were itself crafted primarily from wood, so that their career would also appear to have impacted their choice of dwelling. Obviously in real life things don't always line up that conveniently, but for a standalone set proposal, having the elements of the build relate to each other like that feels like it'd make more of an impact.

Stone is a better and more expensive material. He seems rather good at his work and thus succesfull. Elaborate stonework fits the MOC. However, he should be able to afford fixing the roof, that looks out of place

An entire series of medieval artisans and their homes would be a nice, and very doable in LEGO

On 4/6/2021 at 3:39 AM, 1974 said:

You should sneak a 6074 and/or 6041 flag(s) into the MOC as well ;)

The Forestman hat is current(ish - it's a new mould) and I'd really like to get that one in red as well

Good luck!

I agree, those black falcon flags are great. I bet we get some (1?) in the creator castle set rumored for summer 2021. I would also love the forestmen's hat in red - we can only hope.

On 4/6/2021 at 9:05 AM, Lyichir said:

Neat build! The elaborate brick/stone facade here is interesting, but I can't help but wonder if it'd make more sense thematically for a stonemason or sculptor. I feel like it might tell a better story if the carpenter's house were itself crafted primarily from wood, so that their career would also appear to have impacted their choice of dwelling. 

This is a valid point - I thought about that a bit, but really wanted to do the stone work, and also wanted to have the character be a carpenter. So I tried mixing. I've seen brilliant renditions of stonemasons: (Andhe's work on Flickr, I'm sure he's known..) Until I can create something original, I wouldn't want to copy this stonemason (which I think is totally great.) 

Stonemason

On 4/6/2021 at 9:52 AM, 1974 said:

Stone is a better and more expensive material. He seems rather good at his work and thus succesfull. Elaborate stonework fits the MOC. However, he should be able to afford fixing the roof, that looks out of place

An entire series of medieval artisans and their homes would be a nice, and very doable in LEGO

I agree with this logic too. That deer head sculpt is clearly for a kingly castle, though thematically the Lion Knight Sheriff doesn't approve.

I would so hope for a series of medieval artisans, that Brickfanatics article (that I think interviewed Wes and Austin) really pointed to it. Seems Wes has already asked some of their leadership if they could do something like this, a series of Medieval Modulars.