Supersick_

[MOC] "Fer Maiden" - 36 Gun Privateer Frigate

1 hour ago, nimitstexan said:

Yeah, looking at it again (as well as the real world Téméraire, which had 15 guns on its lower deck, just like the 15 on the Constitution's main deck), I think your thought of 11 guns for a system scale Constitution was completely correct.  Not sure exactly which scale your are using, but if l'Annubis is supposed to be based on Téméraire at 70x18 studs, that would suggest a Constitution-based ship at 67x17 studs on the gundeck according to my rough math.

If we look at the scales this way for scale connie with 11 Guns then the Mermaid would better be depicted as one of the 32-Gun 5th Rates rather than Endymion/Trinc (proportion math: 11 to 15 equals 9 to 12.3, 32-Guns had 12-13 Guns on each side of the Main Gundeck)

Edited by Jasseji

6 hours ago, Jasseji said:

You asked for progress (don't mind the capstan yet, it's a test and I miss one flat 2x2 in dark tan) 

https://imgur.com/gallery/6yKfox8

Looks great! what did you end up doing about the following cable/anchor line? Find a way to switch between sides? I know the original design with TLG string+studs is a bit cumbersome but it allows you to removing the grating to get access then unhook one side's anchor line and attached the other side. I'd love to see a more elegant solution since dragging that string with studs isn't ideal either haha.

11 hours ago, Jasseji said:

If we look at the scales this way for scale connie with 11 Guns then the Mermaid would better be depicted as one of the 32-Gun 5th Rates rather than Endymion/Trinc (proportion math: 11 to 15 equals 9 to 12.3, 32-Guns had 12-13 Guns on each side of the Main Gundeck)

I look at Lego's intent at Theme scale and tend to ignore the lack of exact gun counts. For instance Barracuda Bay BSB is clearly homage to a galleon, not just a "8 gun brig" like you would (technically) describe her. And then with the most recent Imperial Flagship, I feel like that was a kit intended to be 3rd or 4th rate. 

I think a Super 44 like Constitution would justify 12 guns per side, I think I can definitely squeeze one in right before the quarter galleries. Fer Maiden (as-is) would be something around Leda/Pallas-class. Fer Maiden (Heavy) would be Endymion.

Here's a little WIP of Fer Maiden (Heavy). The only real changes compared to the standard design are +6 studs in length (1 ea. extra gun + carronade per broadside), new brick built hull, new beakhead and quarter gallery designs evolved from the Anubis. 

Let me know some feedback on whether you think this style of build at this scale is cool or if you prefer the more playful prefab style.

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

28 minutes ago, Supersick_ said:

Looks great! what did you end up doing about the following cable/anchor line? Find a way to switch between sides? I know the original design with TLG string+studs is a bit cumbersome but it allows you to removing the grating to get access then unhook one side's anchor line and attached the other side. I'd love to see a more elegant solution since dragging that string with studs isn't ideal either haha.

I didnt do anything in this regard yet, i just pulled a lego Technic string on one side and a piece of string on the other for now, will think about it later.

Only change for now is redo the deck around the Main mast so i can put a 32 Technic axle through deck (so the mast is one piece and not divided by the deck)

I also added "Boat Stud" par no. 2654 to the bottom so it slides better over the floor and and doesnt damage the Boat Hulls when sliding (Part 2654 is cheaper than the Brown Hulls so i have ordered a lot of them as wear replacement)

I build it for playing for my Kid so rather like to keep the prefab Hulls

Edited by Jasseji

10 hours ago, Jasseji said:

I build it for playing for my Kid so rather like to keep the prefab Hulls

Well, I would have to see this in action before I could render an opinion one way or another, but the Creator 3-1 Pirate ship uses a brick-built hull, and still seems decently playable/child friendly.  The brickbuilt heavy frigate definitely looks sharp.

Possibly a more significant benefit for the prefab hull is that I think it is slightly cheaper.

Edited by nimitstexan

26 minutes ago, nimitstexan said:

Well, I would have to see this in action before I could render an opinion one way or another, but the Creator 3-1 Pirate ship uses a brick-built hull, and still seems decently playable/child friendly.  The brickbuilt heavy frigate definitely looks sharp.

Possibly a more significant benefit for the prefab hull is that I think it is slightly cheaper.

i only meant the additional Pieces at the bottom of the Hull, the prefab pieces (or any other pieces) are getting scratched when the ship is moved over a hard floor, hence i add those at the bottom:

image.png.994e77429475c9c873deb34b589f154a.png

These can be ordered quite cheap in quantities and protect the bottom from scratches

On 6/6/2021 at 2:13 PM, Mister Phes said:

Got any photos? :pir-love:

I do but I'm unsure on how to upload them sorry I'm new to this.

Edited by Dashiell brown

29 minutes ago, Dashiell brown said:

I do but I'm unsure on how to upload them sorry I'm new to this.

Use Flickr, paste the image link in here and it'll pop right then and there. There are, of course, many other sites for hosting images. Ye can do a little reasearch on that.

On 6/10/2021 at 12:04 AM, Supersick_ said:

As a gift I recolored her to a classic Nelson-chequer for you to visualize. (Reference of HMS Diana). Have you ordered the parts yet? 

1280x720.jpg

The recolor is amazing! :pir-classic::thumbup:

So, I am about 25% through building the ship with the Nelson Chequer scheme as above (gun deck mostly complete).  As I am looking at it, I really feel like she needs a different solution for her main battery other than the Lego cannons.  They just look too big inside her; moreover, there is no real good option to mount them to allow all the the guns to be run in and out (which is on the of the reasons, I am sure, that is not even an option with the default build).

Doing rough math, it seems like an 18lbs at this scale should be about 6 studs long with a 3-stud long carriage . . . but searching through the MOC forum as well as messing around myself, I have so far not found anything that would work at that size (especially given that, unlike COBI, Lego does not have1 stud wide wheel axles) to make "playable" and mobile gun and gun carriage. Anyone else have any ideas/suggestions, or (as a mix my metaphors) is this a windmill too far?

Edited by nimitstexan

2 hours ago, nimitstexan said:

So, I am about 25% through building the ship with the Nelson Chequer scheme as above (gun deck mostly complete).  As I am looking at it, I really feel like she needs a different solution for her main battery other than the Lego cannons.  They just look too big inside her; moreover, there is no real good option to mount them to all the the guns to be run in or it (which is on the of the reasons, I am sure, that is not even an option with the default build).

Doing rough math, it seems like an 18lbs at this scale should be about 6 studs long with a 3-stud long carriage . . . but searching through the MOC forum as well as messing around myself, I have so far not found anything that would work at that size (especially given that, unlike COBI, Lego does not have1 stud wide wheel axles) to make "playable" and mobile gun and gun carriage. Anyone else have any ideas/suggestions, or (as a mix my metaphors) is this a windmill too far?

I had the same issue for my own ship with the brick-built cannons, so I made these:

The cannons themselves

The "exploded" variant

If you click on th e "L'Aurelie" album you'll see some pictures of how they look in real bricks, they're able to move up and down too!

Hope this helps you a bit

On 7/6/2021 at 8:11 PM, Thomas Waagenaar said:

I had the same issue for my own ship with the brick-built cannons, so I made these:

The cannons themselves

The "exploded" variant

If you click on th e "L'Aurelie" album you'll see some pictures of how they look in real bricks, they're able to move up and down too!

Hope this helps you a bit

Both really nice solutions! I love them - probably the smaller ones would be a good base for Fer Maiden’s theme scale.

Run a 2-stud-wide strip of tiles with jumpers to locate the single stud underneath? Can redo the gun deck to flush those tiled runs with the plates if needed to bring the barrels centered in the gunport.  Can run the guns in/out along the tiles and stay them into position using the jumper plates. 

21 hours ago, Supersick_ said:

Both really nice solutions! I love them - probably the smaller ones would be a good base for Fer Maiden’s theme scale.

Yep, decided to go with a version of the smaller one form Thomas, though tweaking it with an idea or two from your chase guns.

21 hours ago, Supersick_ said:

Run a 2-stud-wide strip of tiles with jumpers to locate the single stud underneath? Can redo the gun deck to flush those tiled runs with the plates if needed to bring the barrels centered in the gunport.  Can run the guns in/out along the tiles and stay them into position using the jumper plates. 

My apologies, but I am not sure I follow exactly what you are describing.

Thanks Supersick_ - this is really a beautiful ship!

I stumbled upon the model by accident and knew that I absolutely had to build her.
I think she is the perfect mix of a showcase model - with the lower hull attached - and a model that you can play with your children.
Last week the first bricklink orders arrived and I was able to start building her.
A few small tweaks here and there and she will be the perfect pirate hunter for me, especially since she has more cannons than my kids' pirate ships combined ;-)

I changed the color scheme a bit - does not like the blue color so much - and I will use my own custom guns.
I'm also thinking about some additional shrouds that can be removed for playing....

LEGO sail making and building custom mini figures are next on my list, a whole new hobby :-)
Many thanks again Supersick_ keep up your fantastic work! 

Take care

52304621789_4e0ff63100_b.jpg

52303392497_1f7b8947fc_b.jpg

52304629370_63362a1990_b.jpg

Edited by TimoFunk
Format and pictures

On 8/22/2022 at 7:01 AM, TimoFunk said:

Thanks Supersick_ - this is really a beautiful ship!

I stumbled upon the model by accident and knew that I absolutely had to build her.
I think she is the perfect mix of a showcase model - with the lower hull attached - and a model that you can play with your children.
Last week the first bricklink orders arrived and I was able to start building her.
A few small tweaks here and there and she will be the perfect pirate hunter for me, especially since she has more cannons than my kids' pirate ships combined ;-)

I changed the color scheme a bit - does not like the blue color so much - and I will use my own custom guns.
I'm also thinking about some additional shrouds that can be removed for playing....

LEGO sail making and building custom mini figures are next on my list, a whole new hobby :-)
Many thanks again Supersick_ keep up your fantastic work! 

Take care

52304621789_4e0ff63100_b.jpg

52303392497_1f7b8947fc_b.jpg

52304629370_63362a1990_b.jpg

This is awesome! She looks great with the recolored livery (more realistic too) and I really love those long guns!  Have you finished her yet? Please post more pics when you do. Cheers!

Unfortunately I run out of parts and time to complete her at the moment.
But I've made some good progress.
I am very satisfied with my detachable shrouds, especially with the simple tensioning mechanism.
So I can change between a showcase model and a play model in less than a minute.
I will reduce the number of cannons on the weather deck and use my own small cannons instead.
Therefore I raised the height of the bulwark by one plate. It looks still OK for me.
I've started creating my own minifigure(s) as well but I am still struggeling with the quality of 
the stickers - and the design ;-)

52335863476_6603564268_b.jpg

52336290800_d01aec2f11_b.jpg

52335863426_d6386a21d8_b.jpg

52335863646_15b13797f1_b.jpg

52335863536_0159aafa2d_b.jpg

52335863721_392bc46958_b.jpg

52335863616_3283d90895_b.jpg

Edited by TimoFunk

Well, unfortunately it took a lot longer to build than expected, but finally it's done.
The sails and the crew are not ready yet, but I didn't want to withhold the current pictures from you any longer.
I'm super happy with the result. The ship is just great. I really enjoyed the build and with the small changes it's perfect for me.

I'm now afraid that I can't resist to build L'Anubis either. However, next time I have to do better with the Bricklink orders so that it doesn't take so long to get all the bricks. 

Thank you @Supersick_ for this great moc! 

52450909122_a5710abc8c_o.jpg

52450909127_1d9cdbbd25_o.jpg

52450909202_4ba0e21139_o.jpg

52451949913_1f8d67b172_o.jpg

52451949928_baf6c565cc_o.jpg

52451427831_05d9a62f69_o.jpg

52451427851_dfe8cd6f3b_o.jpg

52451702799_6ef5551c50_o.jpg

52451876805_837fb5c7a6_o.jpg

52451949848_0905601600_o.jpg

Edited by TimoFunk

So, time for a little update.
Not much happened but at least I finished the sails.
I'm getting a little annoyed by the crew. 
Unfortunately I can't get the decals printed as nicely as I want
them to be. I do have to try more...

I think someone asked how to build the guns.
The post has disappeared again, anyway I'll attach 
a few pictures. Maybe it's still of intrest :-)

52720859966_6dcf66776e_b.jpg

52721099134_14dd263b73_b.jpg

52720375832_d2e6279460_b.jpg

52335863646_15b13797f1_b.jpg

52721322503_a22d211f6e_b.jpg

Edited by TimoFunk

She looks great, and I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say thanks for the inside look at those guns haha. I did a version that uses a minifig head at the rear of the barrel to help sell the idea of some extra taper. I'll post pics soon, I think using different size "cones" at the exit of them can maybe even differentiate between ~12pdr and 18pdrs.  

I do really like the look of my guns, especially the big ones.
Unfortunately, the are not very robust and fall apart quite easily.
Just something for a showcase, unusable for epic seabattles with
my kids.  

Take care

Timo

Timo, I took your note about them being delicate and re-worked mine to use a core w/ 1x2 modified brick so they can be picked up as a unit and move position via jumpers built into the deck level. Screenshot attached. Different cones on the end of the barrel for different size guns.

1280x665.png